Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 60

Thread: First woman to try out for the NFL

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    First woman to try out for the NFL

    Woman Tries Out at N.F.L. Regional Scouting Combine

    It hasn't garnered a tremendous amount of media attention but Lauren Silberman may potentially be the Jackie Robinson of her era and gender as she became the first woman to audition at a regional NFL combine. We won't know if she'll play in the NFL until after the draft and it's unlikely that she would be drafted in the first round but this is definitely a historic and exciting day for football and women's rights.

  2. #2
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,499

    Re: First woman to try out for the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    Woman Tries Out at N.F.L. Regional Scouting Combine

    It hasn't garnered a tremendous amount of media attention but Lauren Silberman may potentially be the Jackie Robinson of her era and gender as she became the first woman to audition at a regional NFL combine. We won't know if she'll play in the NFL until after the draft and it's unlikely that she would be drafted in the first round but this is definitely a historic and exciting day for football and women's rights.
    According to your link, she injured herself and is out.

    Is she actually the first ever to try out? Seems to me others tried out to be kickers, too, but I may be thinking of college ball.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  3. #3
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:29 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,159

    Re: First woman to try out for the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    We won't know if she'll play in the NFL until after the draft
    She kicked the ball 19 yards. I can kick the ball 19 yards. She won't be playing in the NFL, at least not next year.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: First woman to try out for the NFL

    Hell, she probably COULD make the Jets roster.

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,361

    Re: First woman to try out for the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    but this is definitely a historic and exciting day for football and women's rights.
    Why is that?

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    Re: First woman to try out for the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    According to your link, she injured herself and is out.

    Is she actually the first ever to try out? Seems to me others tried out to be kickers, too, but I may be thinking of college ball.
    She left in the middle of the combine but could still be selected if a team liked what they saw.

  7. #7
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,544

    Re: First woman to try out for the NFL

    Unfortunatlely she injured herself and thus failed to demonstrate much of anything. Granted that the primary function of a place kicker is to kick, but it sure helps if they are also able to run some fakes and help tackle/contain the return players.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #8
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,499

    Re: First woman to try out for the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    She left in the middle of the combine but could still be selected if a team liked what they saw.
    They saw her injure herself on a 19-yard kick.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: First woman to try out for the NFL

    Sorry, no glass ceiling.


  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: First woman to try out for the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Unfortunatlely she injured herself and thus failed to demonstrate much of anything. Granted that the primary function of a place kicker is to kick, but it sure helps if they are also able to run some fakes and help tackle/contain the return players.
    That was one of my biggest questions with her, as well. Could she be counted on to make any sort of reasonable attempt to tackle a returner? Could she block or catch/throw the ball on a fake. She definitely wouldn't be able to run the ball on a fake. I have no problem with letting her try out. I would on the other hand have a major problem if my beloved Redskins even considered drafting her, regardless of how well her tryout might have gone.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •