Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 60

Thread: First woman to try out for the NFL

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    Re: First woman to try out for the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Dude, this was a publicity stunt which backfired, not some Great Leap Forward.
    Yeah, I know that.

    Do you think the NFL should avoid these publicity stunts in the future by just banning women from the game?

    Or maybe more relevant altogether, should the NCAA ban women from playing college football? It's pretty neat to see someone like Katie Hnida put points on the board in a game but it's not hard to imagine a botched snap literally resulting in her death if she was foolish enough to pick up the live ball.

  2. #32
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:14 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,548

    Re: First woman to try out for the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    Do you think the NFL should avoid these publicity stunts in the future by just banning women from the game?
    Nothing I've said indicates in the slightest that I do.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    Re: First woman to try out for the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Nothing I've said indicates in the slightest that I do.
    Nor have you said anything that indicates that you don't ... which is why I asked.

    That's typically how questions and answers work.

    I don't know why you're so hostile in this thread but participation is completely voluntary.

  4. #34
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:14 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,548

    Re: First woman to try out for the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    Nor have you said anything that indicates that you don't ... which is why I asked.

    That's typically how questions and answers work.

    I don't know why you're so hostile in this thread but participation is completely voluntary.
    I'm not the slightest bit hostile. But simply saying that a publicity stunt backfired in no way indicates I might possibly think the NFL should ban all women from trying out. Your question is what's actually "hostile," seeing as you seem to think I must be against women in the NFL altogether because I noted the bottom fell out of this stunt. Me, I don't assume untoward things about people because they didn't indicate they DON'T feel that way.

    In fact, as others have pointed out, if you're truly interested in getting women into the NFL, you should condemn this stunt, 'coz it pretty much closes the door on more women trying out for at least a while. And that's not because I want it to, but because that's just how it'll play.
    Last edited by Harshaw; 03-04-13 at 06:35 PM.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    04-10-13 @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    522

    Re: First woman to try out for the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    Yeah, I know that.

    Do you think the NFL should avoid these publicity stunts in the future by just banning women from the game?

    Or maybe more relevant altogether, should the NCAA ban women from playing college football? It's pretty neat to see someone like Katie Hnida put points on the board in a game but it's not hard to imagine a botched snap literally resulting in her death if she was foolish enough to pick up the live ball.
    You don't seem to know that. Unless I completely missed sarcasm in the OP, but your other posts in this thread seem to indicate that I didn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    Woman Tries Out at N.F.L. Regional Scouting Combine

    It hasn't garnered a tremendous amount of media attention but Lauren Silberman may potentially be the Jackie Robinson of her era and gender as she became the first woman to audition at a regional NFL combine. We won't know if she'll play in the NFL until after the draft and it's unlikely that she would be drafted in the first round but this is definitely a historic and exciting day for football and women's rights.

  6. #36
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,158

    Re: First woman to try out for the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    Woman Tries Out at N.F.L. Regional Scouting Combine

    It hasn't garnered a tremendous amount of media attention but Lauren Silberman may potentially be the Jackie Robinson of her era and gender as she became the first woman to audition at a regional NFL combine. We won't know if she'll play in the NFL until after the draft and it's unlikely that she would be drafted in the first round but this is definitely a historic and exciting day for football and women's rights.


    Whew.

    Bud, I'm a pretty big guy and far from being a wuss, but I wouldn't be in any hurry to let any of those NFL monsters tackle me or otherwise slam into me bodily. NFL linemen and defensive backs are very large very strong very fracking dangerous individuals, and while there might be a gal or three somewhere around that is sturdy enough to stand up to that kind of pounding week after week, I have my doubts.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  7. #37
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: First woman to try out for the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    Woman Tries Out at N.F.L. Regional Scouting Combine

    It hasn't garnered a tremendous amount of media attention but Lauren Silberman may potentially be the Jackie Robinson of her era and gender as she became the first woman to audition at a regional NFL combine. We won't know if she'll play in the NFL until after the draft and it's unlikely that she would be drafted in the first round but this is definitely a historic and exciting day for football and women's rights.
    I think this pretty much sums it up...

    Lauren Silberman stages pointless sideshow at regional combine - Lauren Silberman stages pointless sideshow at regional combine - NFL.com

    Watch the video, she sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #38
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,274

    Re: First woman to try out for the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Whew.

    Bud, I'm a pretty big guy and far from

    being a wuss, but I wouldn't be in any hurry to let any of those NFL monsters tackle me or otherwise slam into me bodily. NFL linemen and defensive backs are very large very strong very fracking dangerous individuals, and while there might be a gal or three somewhere around that is sturdy enough to stand up to that kind of pounding week after week, I have my doubts.
    Oh I don't just doubt it, I know there is no such women on the face of this Earth.

    I'm 6'5", 260 pounds and I'm pretty strong. Played Football and Basketball in High School.

    I got to meet an ex-NFL Offensive tackle one time, ( I wont give his name but a really nice guy ) he owned a few restaurants around my fair city.

    He was my height, but dwarfed me otherwise. Being 6'5" you are ofcourse graced with large hands when I shook his hand he almost totally enclosed my entire fist with his handshake.

    Thats the only the second time someones had a larger hand than me, the other was a Houston Rocket who was 6'9" 370 and all muscle.

    These are the elite of American Proffesional sports, even if they're awesome in college once they enter the NFL they have access to specialist in strength and conditioning and only get stronger.

    The people that think a female should be out there on the field are fooling themselves.

    There are offensive line men that can run 4.4 40's at over 300 pounds.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    Re: First woman to try out for the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    I'm not the slightest bit hostile. But simply saying that a publicity stunt backfired in no way indicates I might possibly think the NFL should ban all women from trying out. Your question is what's actually "hostile," seeing as you seem to think I must be against women in the NFL altogether because I noted the bottom fell out of this stunt. Me, I don't assume untoward things about people because they didn't indicate they DON'T feel that way.

    In fact, as others have pointed out, if you're truly interested in getting women into the NFL, you should condemn this stunt, 'coz it pretty much closes the door on more women trying out for at least a while. And that's not because I want it to, but because that's just how it'll play.
    I've said absolutely nothing about you being against women in this or any thread.

  10. #40
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:14 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,548

    Re: First woman to try out for the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    I've said absolutely nothing about you being against women in this or any thread.
    No, you just asked if I thought the NFL should avoid publicity stunts by banning women from trying out, for no reason whatsoever.

    Do you think clubbing baby seals is a good hobby? You haven't indicated that you don't, so I thought I'd ask just to find out.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •