Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 94

Thread: 'Racial slurs' aimed at wife draw McConnell's ire

  1. #51
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,160

    Re: 'Racial slurs' aimed at wife draw McConnell's ire

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    No. Then I imagine they'd come up with him spear heading a government conspiracy to create a police state through the death of thousands of americans after "stealing" the presidency. Or they may get wrapped up in his sex life while married. Or they would think he's trying to creat a new world order.

    For the record, I don't think the "birther" thing would've been what grew out of the partisan desire to attack, demonize and illigitimize the other side if he was a black guy named "Joe Smith" either. I think if he was a white guy who was named Barack Obama and had the same history in terms of time spent in foreign countries that the birther thing likely would've manifested itself as well. Would either have perhaps gained as much headway? Probably not, as for SOME people the racial aspect plays in, but I maintain that it's not the foundation and that it's far more than just the color of his skin that plays into it.

    The "foreign sounding" name. A foreign father. Significant time spent abroad in his youth. That time in part occuring in a country with a large muslim population. All those things I believe had just as much impact into the creation of the birther myth as "OMG He's a black guy!"

    At any rate, you're still saying it's xenophobia. Maybe it's not because he's black, but it is because of "time spent abroad in his youth."


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  2. #52
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,974

    Re: 'Racial slurs' aimed at wife draw McConnell's ire

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    At any rate, you're still saying it's xenophobia. Maybe it's not because he's black, but it is because of "time spent abroad in his youth."
    Actually, I'm saying it's partisanship and that partisanship generally goes down the path of least resistance in the method of insulting, demonizing, and illigitimizing the other side. From that springs xenophobia, racism, and just the normal notion of tribalism more so than a "fear" of something (I know, I know, it's not "cool" to label anyone anything that doesn't suggest that they must "fear" something). It's an easy path to go, in part because that trail was already blazed by Hillary and company during the primaries so it was easy to travel down.

  3. #53
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: 'Racial slurs' aimed at wife draw McConnell's ire

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    Racism's only bad when it's directed at black people by conservatives.
    fixed that

  4. #54
    Guru
    Carleen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,617

    Re: 'Racial slurs' aimed at wife draw McConnell's ire

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    I guess you don't know the difference between "birth certificate" and "race?"
    The insinuations are there and have been since day one of Obama's presidency. Why question his birth certificate at all? Why call him un-american? Suttle but racist IMO

  5. #55
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,974

    Re: 'Racial slurs' aimed at wife draw McConnell's ire

    Quote Originally Posted by Carleen View Post
    The insinuations are there and have been since day one of Obama's presidency. Why question his birth certificate at all? Why call him un-american? Suttle but racist IMO
    The insinuations have been there since the Democratic primary, not since the Presidency. And the reason to question it is the same reason to suggest Bush "Stole" an election, Clinton was a rapist, HW Bush was heading up the new world order, and on and on. Becuase people like trying to discredit, delegitimize, and destroy their opponent and those they view as an enemy and they typically do so through the most easily available avenues that are presented. Labeling the very act of questioning Obama's birth certificate as racist isn't just ignorant but does a disservice to the actual notion of what racism is by devaluing the term by applying in a broad wholesale fashion to situations where it's illfitting to do so.

  6. #56
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,283

    Re: 'Racial slurs' aimed at wife draw McConnell's ire

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Or not. Here, let me help you learn how to use wiki. It is not hard so hopefully
    you can handle this. Go to the bottom of the wiki page and you will find this:



    Those are what we call sources.
    I don't need your help Redress.

    If those are "your sources" then why don't YOU do the leg work and verify their objectivity rather thatn relying on someone else to do it for you.

    It's why my kids school district doesn't accept WIKI as a resource for book reports or science projects.

  7. #57
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: 'Racial slurs' aimed at wife draw McConnell's ire

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    I don't need your help Redress.

    If those are "your sources" then why don't YOU do the leg work and verify their objectivity rather thatn relying on someone else to do it for you.

    It's why my kids school district doesn't accept WIKI as a resource for book reports or science projects.
    He has a point. I've seen people totally fabricate sources on Wikipedia and even attribute content to sources that never even assert such things


    PS just to clarify, I am only commenting on the use of Wikipedia

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: 'Racial slurs' aimed at wife draw McConnell's ire

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    So the birther conspiracy had nothing to do with the fact that Obama's a "black guy with a funny sounding name?" Do you really and honestly believe that he would have had this problem if he was white and his name was "Joe Smith?"
    A white guy called Joe Smith would have had to show his original birth certificate, if questions were raised, as well as all his personal history,

    Barrack Obama falls back on the 'racist' card whenever questions are raised about his background.

    Expecting less from someone because of the color of their skin is hugely racist.

  9. #59
    Professor
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    07-02-13 @ 12:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1,651

    Re: 'Racial slurs' aimed at wife draw McConnell's ire

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    Racism's only bad when it's directed at black people.
    Why are so many people who "like" this comment black?

  10. #60
    Professor
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    07-02-13 @ 12:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1,651

    Re: 'Racial slurs' aimed at wife draw McConnell's ire

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    Just like plenty on the "right" screamed about it when it happened to Obama. So no, what is good for the goose is at play here. All liberals are racists and the Democratic party is racist as well. It must attract this sort of person correct?
    Why do you say all liberals and democrats are racist? You are black, right?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •