Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Will the FDA let dairy producers hide additives from consumers?

  1. #1
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Will the FDA let dairy producers hide additives from consumers?

    Flavored Milk; Petition to Amend the Standard of Identity for Milk and 17 Additional Dairy Products


    Section 130.10(d) allows the addition of safe and suitable ingredients to a food named by use of a nutrient content claim and a standardized term when these ingredients are used to, among other things, add sweetness to ensure that the modified food is not inferior in performance characteristic to the standardized food even if such ingredients are not specifically provided for by the relevant food standard. Therefore, while the milk standard of identity in § 131.110 only provides for the use of “nutritive sweetener” in an optional characterizing flavor, milk may contain a characterizing flavor that is sweetened with a non-nutritive sweetener if the food's label bears a nutrient content claim (e.g., “reduced calorie”) and the non-nutritive sweetener is used to add sweetness to the product so that it is not inferior in its sweetness property compared to its standardized counterpart.

    However, IDFA and NMPF argue that nutrient content claims such as “reduced calorie” are not attractive to children, and maintain that consumers can more easily identify the overall nutritional value of milk products that are flavored with non-nutritive sweeteners if the labels do not include such claims. Further, the petitioners assert that consumers do not recognize milk—including flavored milk—as necessarily containing sugar. Accordingly, the petitioners state that milk flavored with non-nutritive sweeteners should be labeled as milk without further claims so that consumers can “more easily identify its overall nutritional value.”
    U.S. Dairy Industry Petitions FDA to Approve Aspartame as Hidden, Unlabeled Additive in Milk, Yogurt, Eggnog and Cream
    Last edited by Neomalthusian; 02-28-13 at 06:58 PM.

  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Will the FDA let dairy producers hide additives from consumers?

    Hm, upon further review, the organicconsumers.org article (which I think originates from NaturalNews) might have their facts wrong. This appears to be about removing only the "nutrient content claims" such as "Reduced Calorie!!" or "Less Sugar!" from the front labels, rather than omitting it from the ingredient list on the Nutrition Facts.

    Nonetheless, if it were up to me, milk with aspartame would be called (on its front label) "Milk with Aspartame."

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Will the FDA let dairy producers hide additives from consumers?

    That sucks, especially to those of us that have adverse reactions to aspartame, aka, nutra sweet.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  4. #4
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Will the FDA let dairy producers hide additives from consumers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Hm, upon further review, the organicconsumers.org article (which I think originates from NaturalNews) might have their facts wrong. This appears to be about removing only the "nutrient content claims" such as "Reduced Calorie!!" or "Less Sugar!" from the front labels, rather than omitting it from the ingredient list on the Nutrition Facts.

    Nonetheless, if it were up to me, milk with aspartame would be called (on its front label) "Milk with Aspartame."
    I agree with you. I think Aspartame is bad ju-ju! And, I can't help but smile to hear you say you want a new regulation!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  5. #5
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Will the FDA let dairy producers hide additives from consumers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Hm, upon further review, the organicconsumers.org article (which I think originates from NaturalNews) might have their facts wrong. This appears to be about removing only the "nutrient content claims" such as "Reduced Calorie!!" or "Less Sugar!" from the front labels, rather than omitting it from the ingredient list on the Nutrition Facts.

    Nonetheless, if it were up to me, milk with aspartame would be called (on its front label) "Milk with Aspartame."
    It is more likely named Strawberry Milk, Chocolate Milk, or Ranch Flavored Milk aren't they? I just wish they would let people go back to selling unpasteurized milk.

  6. #6
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,741

    Re: Will the FDA let dairy producers hide additives from consumers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    It is more likely named Strawberry Milk, Chocolate Milk, or Ranch Flavored Milk aren't they? I just wish they would let people go back to selling unpasteurized milk.
    I think they should let people go back to selling Radithor. The free market will sort it out.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Will the FDA let dairy producers hide additives from consumers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I agree with you. I think Aspartame is bad ju-ju! And, I can't help but smile to hear you say you want a new regulation!
    Are you implying I am an anarchy-libertarian? I've never suggested that.

    There certainly should be ground rules of fairness and justice when it comes to contracts between individuals. I think of contracts in which one side is clearly (and perhaps intentionally) misled as fraudulent, and I don't think fraud should be legal. A lot of fraud should be up to the civil justice system to sort out, but rampant fraud may be impractical to sort out via the justice system and it may need basic regulations.
    Last edited by Neomalthusian; 02-28-13 at 08:15 PM.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Will the FDA let dairy producers hide additives from consumers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I think they should let people go back to selling Radithor. The free market will sort it out.
    Apparently the containers are still radioactive, so go to an antiques show and make your own. I suppose I could buy a cow, but I think I would have to get it licensed like a dog living in the city and all. I'd probably have to scoop behind it too when I walked it.

  9. #9
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Will the FDA let dairy producers hide additives from consumers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I think they should let people go back to selling Radithor. The free market will sort it out.
    Good point!

    I had not heard of Radithor and had to look it up, which I will share here for any others that may not have heard of it:

    "Radithor (ca. 1928)
    Prior to being emptied, the bottle pictured at left contained one-half ounce of Radithor, i.e., triple distilled water guaranteed to contain at least 1 microcurie each of Ra-226 and Ra-228. The manufacturer of the product, Bailey Radium Laboratories of East Orange, New Jersey, offered $1,000 to anyone who could prove the product contained less than the stated amount. No one ever did.

    https://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/...res/radith.htm
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #10
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,802

    Re: Will the FDA let dairy producers hide additives from consumers?

    Everyone who wants more chemicals in your food-like products raise your hand.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •