Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Will the FDA let dairy producers hide additives from consumers?

  1. #11
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Will the FDA let dairy producers hide additives from consumers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Are you implying I am an anarchy-libertarian? I've never suggested that.
    All the libertarians I know say we need less regulation not more. Glad to hear you are not that kind of libertarian!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #12
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Will the FDA let dairy producers hide additives from consumers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    All the libertarians I know say we need less regulation not more. Glad to hear you are not that kind of libertarian!
    "we need less regulation not more."

    "we need more regulation not less."

    These are a bit too vague to be able to assign to one political persuasion or another. Obviously libertarians tend toward less government involvement and liberals toward more, but it doesn't make for a rich discussion to simplify and categorize people this way.

  3. #13
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Will the FDA let dairy producers hide additives from consumers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    "we need less regulation not more."

    "we need more regulation not less."

    These are a bit too vague to be able to assign to one political persuasion or another. Obviously libertarians tend toward less government involvement and liberals toward more, but it doesn't make for a rich discussion to simplify and categorize people this way.

    I just thought it was funny to hear a libertarian calling for additional labeling requirements.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #14
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Will the FDA let dairy producers hide additives from consumers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I just thought it was funny to hear a libertarian calling for additional labeling requirements.
    Well I'm glad you got a kick out of it. I don't see it as "pro-regulation" in general just to expect an item that's sold all over the country to have a label that indicates what it actually is or contains.

    I have long had an ill-tempered opinion of the FDA. In some respects, I don't see it as necessary. It should be up to consumers (and really it still is) to demand the type of food products they want, and to voice that demand by their willingness or refusal to buy them. But it's clear that 1) most Americans don't give a **** and 2) the major food producers just want people to like the taste of the food, be attracted to its label, and not know or care what it really contains. That much is crystal clear.

    This leads to food items that we can no longer assume are as natural as their contents or label might look, and so now the consumer has to go above and beyond to thoroughly investigate each item to make sure stuff isn't being snuck into the food that they don't want to ingest. Maybe that's the way it should be, but if we are to have an FDA, they might as well just tell food producers to be honest about what's in the food.

    I think the FDA should grant them the petition and allow the companies to stop putting "Reduced Calorie!" or "Less Sugar!" (because that's a useless if not misleading distinction for the consumer) on the label and instead just tell them to include the ingredients on the front of the label. So milk with aspartame and artificial strawberry flavors should be clearly labeled "milk with aspartame and artificial strawberry flavors." I don't think we need to have a nanny state for the stuff big companies sell all over the country to simply and honestly indicate what it actually is/contains.

  5. #15
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Will the FDA let dairy producers hide additives from consumers?

    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #16
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Will the FDA let dairy producers hide additives from consumers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Well I'm glad you got a kick out of it. I don't see it as "pro-regulation" in general just to expect an item that's sold all over the country to have a label that indicates what it actually is or contains.

    I have long had an ill-tempered opinion of the FDA. In some respects, I don't see it as necessary. It should be up to consumers (and really it still is) to demand the type of food products they want, and to voice that demand by their willingness or refusal to buy them. But it's clear that 1) most Americans don't give a **** and 2) the major food producers just want people to like the taste of the food, be attracted to its label, and not know or care what it really contains. That much is crystal clear.

    This leads to food items that we can no longer assume are as natural as their contents or label might look, and so now the consumer has to go above and beyond to thoroughly investigate each item to make sure stuff isn't being snuck into the food that they don't want to ingest. Maybe that's the way it should be, but if we are to have an FDA, they might as well just tell food producers to be honest about what's in the food.

    I think the FDA should grant them the petition and allow the companies to stop putting "Reduced Calorie!" or "Less Sugar!" (because that's a useless if not misleading distinction for the consumer) on the label and instead just tell them to include the ingredients on the front of the label. So milk with aspartame and artificial strawberry flavors should be clearly labeled "milk with aspartame and artificial strawberry flavors." I don't think we need to have a nanny state for the stuff big companies sell all over the country to simply and honestly indicate what it actually is/contains.
    .............
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #17
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:47 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,968

    Re: Will the FDA let dairy producers hide additives from consumers?

    I buy raw milk and cheese from a local farmer because the stuff in stores is getting crappier and crappier with each passing year. Now they want to add something as toxic as aspartame to milk without having to declare it? I'll pass.

  8. #18
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,844

    Re: Will the FDA let dairy producers hide additives from consumers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    "we need less regulation not more."

    "we need more regulation not less."

    These are a bit too vague to be able to assign to one political persuasion or another. Obviously libertarians tend toward less government involvement and liberals toward more, but it doesn't make for a rich discussion to simplify and categorize people this way.
    Libertarian is not the opposite of liberal. It's the opposite of authoritarian.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •