Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 123

Thread: Supreme Court raises doubts about Voting Rights Act

  1. #111
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Supreme Court raises doubts about Voting Rights Act

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Anyone catch Scalia's incredibly ridiculous argument against the voting rights act? Un****ing real.

    Basically he said that each subsequent renewal of the act got more votes for and less votes against and therefore he has to step in and go against it because the senators are too scared to vote the way they want. Flat out admitting that he thinks he knows better than our representatives and therefore intends to override our representations' votes.

    The guy is out of control.






    Less people are voting against this act that I want them to vote against therefore I will use my lifetime appointement to overrule them. Unbelievable.


    It's easy for me to believe that Justice Scalia would think something like this.

    The fact that he actually said this, in public, blows my mind.

    This guy needs to find another job.

  2. #112
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Supreme Court raises doubts about Voting Rights Act

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Quite true, one needs only to look at Detriot, MI.


    Been there, done that.

    Have you noticed that the rest of the USA is changing?

  3. #113
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Supreme Court raises doubts about Voting Rights Act

    Quote Originally Posted by Altenhof4Prez View Post
    ...btw i will stand on record saying racism will end in 10 or 20 years.


    It may increase or decrease.

    I very much doubt that anyone alive today will see the end of it.

    It's hard to change human nature.

  4. #114
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Supreme Court raises doubts about Voting Rights Act

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Why aren't you outraged?



    Who said that I'm not?

  5. #115
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Supreme Court raises doubts about Voting Rights Act

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    Paul's idea would be much more effective than legislating it. Consider given the current prevalence of folks against racism if a restaurant did 'practice their racism'. Presumably this information would infiltrate throughout the community promoting the ostrization of the establishment and reducing there revenue...ultimately to the point of closure disabling the ability to 'practice their racism' AND strengthening the ones who do not.


    That's what Paul and a lot of Libertarian types have said.

    I'm not buying it.

  6. #116
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Supreme Court raises doubts about Voting Rights Act

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    I'd love for you to explain how you reached that "understanding"....it wasn't based on anything Scalia has said or done, so i'm wondering where that "understanding" came from


    From my observations of the man.

    What he has said and done gives me that understanding.

    You, of course, are entitled to your own understanding of the man.

    But it won't change my opinion of him.

    He is what he is.

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    04-10-13 @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    522

    Re: Supreme Court raises doubts about Voting Rights Act

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    How about : Having the same rights that the majority has?

    Does that work for you?



    "Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll
    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    It's easy for me to believe that Justice Scalia would think something like this.

    The fact that he actually said this, in public, blows my mind.

    This guy needs to find another job.
    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Been there, done that.

    Have you noticed that the rest of the USA is changing?
    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    It may increase or decrease.

    I very much doubt that anyone alive today will see the end of it.

    It's hard to change human nature.
    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Who said that I'm not?
    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    That's what Paul and a lot of Libertarian types have said.

    I'm not buying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    From my observations of the man.

    What he has said and done gives me that understanding.

    You, of course, are entitled to your own understanding of the man.

    But it won't change my opinion of him.

    He is what he is.

    Ever heard of Multi-Quote?

  8. #118
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Supreme Court raises doubts about Voting Rights Act

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Good for the SCOTUS. All laws should apply to all citizens equally. While some may fear or dislike the outcome of such a reversal, the fact remains that it is a prejudicial law that should never of been allowed in the first place.


    It might have been better if it had been applied to the entire country.

  9. #119
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Supreme Court raises doubts about Voting Rights Act

    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
    Ever heard of Multi-Quote?


    Not until right now.

    One of a number of things that I need to check out.

    Thanks for the tip.

  10. #120
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Supreme Court raises doubts about Voting Rights Act

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    When whites do become a minority, I wonder if majority minority districts will be done away with or will those whites demand their own majority minority districts. It is my hope that they will be done away with for basically the reason I cited in my previous post. Perhaps even an end gerrymandering by leaving as many counties as whole as possible will become a reality. Perhaps the present day minorities will be more interested in fair elections than the whites of today tomorrow. Time will tell.


    I may be living in a dream world but I live with the hope, and the belief that tomorrow will be better than today, that we will all finally learn how to get along.

    For everyone's sake.

    We don't have to love everyone, but it should be possible for us to at least get along with everyone, eh?



    "I look to a day when men will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •