Page 51 of 63 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 626

Thread: Woman fired for having sex

  1. #501
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    The state does get involved in many areas which some might protest against, such a the Arts, athletics, museums, and libraries, and scores more. All these things may or may not be beneficial to the culture but there is little argument to make that the Christian religion hasn't had the most positive and dramatic effect on American society, laws, rules of behavior and so on. For that reason alone it should be studied and supported just like any other meaningful cultural influence.
    I see. So, should the First Amendment be amended to make Christianity the official religion of the country?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  2. #502
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Then you are in favor of unconstitutional discrimination by the government - it's okay to take that position, but you have to own it for what it really is. You claim that "the rest of us should not pay for it" but you're satisfied that those who want to send their children to a Christian school, as an example, are paying for your child's education, as well as their own. I would credit your position as non-discriminatory and constitutional if you were to allow those who send their children to alternate schools either a credit for the taxes they pay to support your child's education or a voucher to "buy" their own child's education. If a school is accredited by the governing body that oversees such things, then that school cannot constitutionally be denied the same benefits other schools receive solely on the basis of their faith focus.
    People who elect to send their children to a private school of any sort are due a tax break, yes.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  3. #503
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    People who elect to send their children to a private school of any sort are due a tax break, yes.
    Equivalent to the average cost of public education in the jurisdiction in which they reside?

  4. #504
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    In fact public schools have strayed from the three R's long ago and have since gone political. What do parents do about that?

    At least with Christian schools they know what they are in for. Such is not the case any longer with public schools.

    As well, the history of the Church has played an important part in world history, some would say the most. Why not recognize that fact and teach it? To do otherwise would make students ignorant of their own history and what made them who they are today.
    If you look at what public schools are required to teach, you will quickly see that the idea that they are not teaching the three R's is a myth. Here is a link to what has to be taught in California as an example. Take a look at it and then tell the rest of us which parts are political and not academic.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #505
    Sayonara!
    Maenad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By the water.
    Last Seen
    07-09-14 @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,259

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    *shrugs* It's easier to run off when your argument can't stand up on it's own. Simply put, she was discriminated against based on her marital status.

    You don't have a right to not be discriminated against for ANYTHING, not to be black, not to be christian, not gay, nothing. None of that is protected by the constitution for companies making contracts. So why are those protected statuses but marital status is not?

    If you're too incompetent or lazy to debate and explain why I'm "wrong", then you're in the wrong place anyway.



    I've seen it, thanks.



    So you think an employer not discriminating against someone's religion is protected by the constitution? That's only discrimination from the government.

    Besides, weren't you the one just asking me all outraged how dare I dictate what a company can freely contract?

    Please point out in the first amendment where it protects the right for a person to not be discriminated by an employer based on religion:
    And no one on here gets what the issue is. This is NOT a freedom of religion issue. This is a simple employment issue. Did they give her the rules? Did she agree to them? Did she break them? That's it. All the bickering over religion is moot. Remember when the muslim business fired the woman for eating a BLT? Same difference.
    Redneck, hillbilly, fundie, Bible thumper, cracker, split tails, geezer, loon, xenophobe, islamaphobe, and homophobe are not words of tolerance.

  6. #506
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Equivalent to the average cost of public education in the jurisdiction in which they reside?
    No.

    Everyone benefits from having a public school system, whether they take advantage of it or not, whether they even have children or not. An educated populace is an absolute requirement for a free society.

    My own children graduated high school a long time ago, yet I still pay the same taxes.

    However, if parents choose a private school, that does lift some of the burden from the public. They should be compensated, perhaps in the form of a deduction equal to the cost of tuition or something of that order.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #507
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    If you look at what public schools are required to teach, you will quickly see that the idea that they are not teaching the three R's is a myth. Here is a link to what has to be taught in California as an example. Take a look at it and then tell the rest of us which parts are political and not academic.
    Do you deny that Christian or other private schools are not required to teach the same basics as part of their accreditation? They must meet the standards of the jurisdiction, otherwise the children who go to these schools would not receive state sanctioned certificates of achievement.

    I would acknowledge, however, that there isn't a school on the planet that doesn't have teachers who aren't political in some way and that seeps through regardless of any attempts to stop it - people are political, just a fact of life - unless robots or computers become the teachers of the future all education will be mired in someone's politics inevitably.
    Last edited by CanadaJohn; 03-02-13 at 05:30 PM.

  8. #508
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    No.

    Everyone benefits from having a public school system, whether they take advantage of it or not, whether they even have children or not. An educated populace is an absolute requirement for a free society.

    My own children graduated high school a long time ago, yet I still pay the same taxes.

    However, if parents choose a private school, that does lift some of the burden from the public. They should be compensated, perhaps in the form of a deduction equal to the cost of tuition or something of that order.
    Absolutely agree that society benefits from an educated populace. My point was related more to vouchers and ensuring that a parent's choice of school isn't prejudiced by the amount of benefit received by the parent vis-a-vis what other parents receive. I'm not arguing that people don't have an obligation to support society even if they don't access every benefit that society offers - roads are not funded just by drivers and public transit is not funded just by those who ride the bus, as examples - but, in the transportation example, two people who ride buses should not pay a differing fare just because they take a different bus in the same jurisdiction.

    I think we agree far more than we disagree - and I should make it clear that I'm not religious, practicing or otherwise, I'm simply speaking to the legal aspects of constitutional law and discriminatory practices based on the constitutional rights of individuals and identified groups.

  9. #509
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    A woman fired for having sex? That's not news. A woman arrested for having sex with a pit bull? Now that's news.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  10. #510
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Do you deny that Christian or other private schools are not required to teach the same basics as part of their accreditation? They must meet the standards of the jurisdiction, otherwise the children who go to these schools would not receive state sanctioned certificates of achievement.
    No, not at all. What I'm denying is Grant's post:
    in fact public schools have strayed from the three R's long ago and have since gone political.
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I would acknowledge, however, that there isn't a school on the planet that doesn't have teachers who aren't political in some way and that seeps through regardless of any attempts to stop it - people are political, just a fact of life - unless robots or computers become the teachers of the future all education will be mired in someone's politics inevitably.
    I suppose that's so. Teachers have their own political philosophies. None of that means that schools have gone away from the three R's and have "gone political."
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

Page 51 of 63 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •