Page 50 of 63 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 491 to 500 of 626

Thread: Woman fired for having sex

  1. #491
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,554

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    So do I. I think private enterprise should be allowed to discriminate based on any damn thing they please. Don't like blacks? Rip up the resume. Hate Jews? Toss them aside. Mexicans rub you wrong? End of the line.

    However, in this thread I don't view it as discrimination. I view it as a contractual obligation that one party broke. It doesn't matter how ludicrous the demand was, or on what basis it was made under. If you want the job, you abide by that contract. Everything else is just emotion, pandering, and rhetoric. She was hired to do a job and to carry a certain demeanor. She failed. They terminated her.

    The rest, I couldn't give a crap about.
    Then we're not even arguing from the same position. You're saying she should've been fired because you're for complete contract sovereignty for citizens. I am for the same thing, but happen to recognize that our system isn't designed that way, so I now am focused concerned about the uneven distribution of anti-discrimination protection.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Religion IS protected by Constitution (US and state), marital status is not protected by the federal, but is proteceted by some state constitutions. But that's moot as this case has nothing to do with discrimination based upon marital status.
    Companies not discriminating against candidates in contracts is not even remotely protected by the constitution. You're confusing the constitution with discrimination laws. Or perhaps you could point out in the first amendment where religion is protected from inter-citizenry contract discrimination. All I see is a law preventing laws against religions.

    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    It's marital status discrimination because it's banning behavior only for singles. If that weren't discrimination against marital status, then the following scenario wouldn't be discrimination against religion:

    I own a company, I don't want to hire christians, but I'm not allowed to discriminate based on religion. So instead, I make them sign a contract saying that christians working here aren't allowed to ever sleep, even in their freetime, even in their own bedrooms. If I see evidence that they've been sleeping, like them coming to work well rested, I can fire them for violating the contract.

    This effectively prevents them from working here. It's an extreme situation, clearly, but it shows the point. I have discriminated against them because I have made up rules that only apply to them.
    Last edited by RabidAlpaca; 03-02-13 at 02:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  2. #492
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,513

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    because the choice to attend such a school is left to the individual citizen, and it isn't the state sending pupils to religious institutions
    So, should the state also support churches, since no one is required to attend them?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  3. #493
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,513

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I would ask you the question in reverse. If the government offers vouchers to parents of all students, but prohibits the free choice use of such vouchers to purchase education in a religious institution, is that not unconstitutional discrimination based on religion, an infringement on the citizens freedom of association rights as well as freedom of religion rights. By offering the vouchers to all, the government is not promoting a religion or any religion, but to withhold based on use in a religious school would be discrimination. As long as all receive and all are free to use as they see fit, there is no discrimination or unfair advantage.
    It is the institution that has to abide by the terms of the agreement to accept vouchers, not the parents. No institution should be able to promote religious dogma on the public dime. If parents want to send their kids to a Christian school, or to a madrassa, or whatever, then they should be able to do so. The rest of us should not pay for it, however.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  4. #494
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    So, should the state also support churches, since no one is required to attend them?
    It they were administering a service for the state like education, they should be compensated for it.

  5. #495
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,513

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    It they were administering a service for the state like education, they should be compensated for it.
    Of course.

    They just have to stick to reading, writing, math, science, and history.

    Real science and history, not creationism and the history of their church.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #496
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,437

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    You know, if I were her and I had the income, I'd hire Gloria Allred too. Despite my distaste for her personally, if you want the publicity (which she does because her best chance is winning in the court of public opinion) she's the lawyer for you.
    Does anybody actually hire Gloria Allred or does she just jump in front of the camera when it suits her?

  7. #497
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    It is the institution that has to abide by the terms of the agreement to accept vouchers, not the parents. No institution should be able to promote religious dogma on the public dime. If parents want to send their kids to a Christian school, or to a madrassa, or whatever, then they should be able to do so. The rest of us should not pay for it, however.
    The state does get involved in many areas which some might protest against, such a the Arts, athletics, museums, and libraries, and scores more. All these things may or may not be beneficial to the culture but there is little argument to make that the Christian religion hasn't had the most positive and dramatic effect on American society, laws, rules of behavior and so on. For that reason alone it should be studied and supported just like any other meaningful cultural influence.

  8. #498
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Of course.

    They just have to stick to reading, writing, math, science, and history.

    Real science and history, not creationism and the history of their church.
    In fact public schools have strayed from the three R's long ago and have since gone political. What do parents do about that?

    At least with Christian schools they know what they are in for. Such is not the case any longer with public schools.

    As well, the history of the Church has played an important part in world history, some would say the most. Why not recognize that fact and teach it? To do otherwise would make students ignorant of their own history and what made them who they are today.

  9. #499
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,182

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    It is the institution that has to abide by the terms of the agreement to accept vouchers, not the parents. No institution should be able to promote religious dogma on the public dime. If parents want to send their kids to a Christian school, or to a madrassa, or whatever, then they should be able to do so. The rest of us should not pay for it, however.
    Then you are in favor of unconstitutional discrimination by the government - it's okay to take that position, but you have to own it for what it really is. You claim that "the rest of us should not pay for it" but you're satisfied that those who want to send their children to a Christian school, as an example, are paying for your child's education, as well as their own. I would credit your position as non-discriminatory and constitutional if you were to allow those who send their children to alternate schools either a credit for the taxes they pay to support your child's education or a voucher to "buy" their own child's education. If a school is accredited by the governing body that oversees such things, then that school cannot constitutionally be denied the same benefits other schools receive solely on the basis of their faith focus.

  10. #500
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,163

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    It wasn't an immaculate conception? People are so cynical these days...
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

Page 50 of 63 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •