Page 37 of 63 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 626

Thread: Woman fired for having sex

  1. #361
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    It is impossible to tell if sex is extra-marital or not without knowing the marital status of the people in question.
    Of course, but you do not need to know anything about their marriage license. The employee has total control over the information they seek to share with their employer. If they willingly share the information, after signing such a contract, they are simply stupid. The only way that the employer can know if they are unmarried or married (and whom they are married to), is if the employee freely shares that information of their own free will.

    If someone works for an employer that has them sign a contract stating they will not drink alcohol while they are employed there, and that person comes in to work one day talking about how they drank a 12 pack over the weekend, they only have themselves to blame for their series of phenomenally stupid decisions (from signing the contract to violating the contract to sharing that information when they were in no way required to).

    If there was no contract that she willingly signed, I'd support her 100%. If there was a contract that she willingly signed, but she had never willingly shared her marital status with her employer, I'd also support her 100%. But with both of those willfully stupid decisions on her part being present, she has nobody but herself to blame for her predicament.

    She has personal responsibility over her choices and actions. Her choices and actions have consequences, and there is nothing here that mitigates her stupid decisions. Even if the contract is deemed illegal, she still has culpability for her own stupid choices.

    Now, I'm saying the contract does have discriminatory aspects (It's discrimination against homosexuals is the most obvious one, but in practical application it discriminates against women due to the fact that only women have no choice but to bring the "potential evidence" of their extramarital relationships to work with them via pregnancy.) And I agree that the contract should not exist because of those problems. I do not agree that it actually discriminates against people based on marital status, though, because whether single or married, the only way the employer could know that one has engaged in extramarital sex is if the employee freely shares that information in some way.

    That being said, I do not think this woman deserves a goddamned thing. She's trying to avoid the consequences of her own stupid decisions. I do not believe that people should win lawsuits that only exist to allow people to avoid the consequences of their own bad decisions. And regardless of whether or not the contract should be gone or not, the decision to sign it is exceptionally stupid, IMO. There may have been factors leading to her making that stupid decision, but in the two years that she was employed there, she could have easily challenged that contract but did not. She could have found other employment, but did not. She could have abstained from having premarital sex, but did not. She could have kept her marital status a secret, but did not. All of those choices by her amount to her being culpable for her own firing, IMO, regardless of whether or not the contract should exist.

    There are two things on trial here. The contract, which is blatantly discriminatory against homosexuals and should not exist based on that alone, and whether or not we have personal responsibility over our own decisions. If I was offered such a contract to sign, I would refuse to sign it and immediately go to see a lawyer. That's the response we need to have to discrimination. By signing it and only challenging it when we receive consequences for violating it, we are tacitly agreeing to the inherent discrimination it presents so long as it doesn't directly affect us. That, in and of itself, is as deplorable an action as asking people to sign such a contract is, IMO. It contributes to the problem because if people fought discrimination whenever they encountered it, regardless of whether or not it affected them personally, discrimination would cease to exist.

    Instead, by becoming party to the discrimination, you become guilty of it yourself. She didn't seem to give a **** that gay people were openly discriminated against in the contract. Why should she care? She's not gay. It was only when she felt that she was being discriminated against that she began to give a ****. So **** her. She was dumb enough to sign her rights away, become party to discriminating against homosexuals, and then share personal information she did not need to share. I hope the contract gets eliminated and she doesn't get a damned thing.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  2. #362
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

    She did sign some kind of agreement about not doing it. They only found out because she was pregnant, so ironically if she had gotten an abortion it would have been a-ok.
    I can't, for the life of me, understand why this is news. That "some kind of agreement" was a binding contract.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #363
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,120

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    No. We all sin and can be forgiven. This however does not mean we get to escape earthly laws and contracts.

    She signed a contract to uphold a moral standard with specifically enumerated responsibilities. It was the terms she agreed to for employment within a known religious institution. She broke those terms and so her contract was terminated legally.

    So it was her responsibility to follow the agreed to terms. She broke the terms.

    /story
    We agree. I'm not certain why you began your argument with 'no'. A private Christian organization has the right to set its rules. I suppose I was merely pointing out the inherited theological contradiction / hypocrisy that is built into sin-based rules. I was not, however, ever suggesting the organization was out of line.

  4. #364
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,555

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    If the lady didn't agree with the contract she shouldn't have signed it.

    No one forced her to take that job or violate the contract that she signed.

    Why are we talking about this time wasting pseudo-event?
    I don't know. It must have some interest, as the thread has been going on for some time. Why are you posting here?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #365
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I can't, for the life of me, understand why this is news. That "some kind of agreement" was a binding contract.
    Because zOMG Gloria Allred!`~

  6. #366
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:55 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,940

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    The christians are at it again.

    If I sign a ridiculous contract saying that I won't be black, then turn out to be black later, should I be fired for that too?
    Yes, of course!
    It's nothing more than X's and O's.

  7. #367
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,555

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    We can blame the idiots that made her sign such a ridiculous agreement in the first place. Not having sex should not be a condition of employment that is just ridiculous. I swear, it's 2013, how the **** do we have such idiots still among us??
    Yes, this is 2013. The 21st. century is already 13 years old. It is a brave new world.

    I was brought up in the 1950s. Back then, waiting until marriage was expected of most, and by most people. Almost all of my classmates/friends lived in a nuclear family with their mothers and fathers, who were married. Single moms were a rarity. Living together without marriage was a low class redneck sort of thing to do. Birth control was highly controversial. Condoms came with a message: "for the prevention of disease only."

    Of course, prevention of disease was not necessary for couples who were faithful both before and after the wedding.

    Yes, people are much more liberated now.

    Except, of course, for people, mostly young women, who have the daunting task of raising children by themselves.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #368
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I don't know. It must have some interest, as the thread has been going on for some time. Why are you posting here?


    Why are YOU posting here?

    See how that works?

  9. #369
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,555

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Why are YOU posting here?
    I find the subject quite entertaining, as well as a commentary on the sexual morays of the present age. You're the one who called it a waste of time.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  10. #370
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    There are many valid discussions to be had about this situation. It's not purely black or white.

    It's possible to think that the contract should not exist, but that the woman suing is still to blame for her own decisions. Sadly, though, most people seem to see it as purely black or white.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 37 of 63 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •