Page 33 of 63 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 626

Thread: Woman fired for having sex

  1. #321
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    No, the question here is, should an employer be able to require absolutely anything they want, no matter how discriminatory, as a condition for employment? So you can be gay, but not do gay things. You can be black, but not act black, and you can be a woman, but not do anything that women are naturally, genetically, and evolutionarily programmed to do?

    How is this any different from Wal-Mart saying "Oh we don't discriminate against gays, just butt sex. If you have butt sex, you're out."



    No one ever forces a business to hire anyone. There is however laws for every business, that they may not discriminate based on race, sexual orientation, religion, etc. You are largely misinformed if you think Wal-Mart can say "We don't hire black people here, move along."



    No it's not, it's not based on the person's race at all. It's about them choosing to violate their contract by choosing to have sex with someone who isn't their race. How is it any different to say "You can't have sex" vs. "You can't have sex with black people."



    Of course she was discriminated against based on marital status. A married woman doing the EXACT same things would not have been fired.



    the founders believed in contract law, if i lay out a contract, you read it, and say, yes i will honor that contract, ....then you have to honor it, or get fired!

    once a person has signed, the other party cant change the contract on unless both parties agree.

    so if someone is gay and hired, they cant be fired later on, if the comapny wants to changes the policy.

    what many people get into the the emotional part of the argument, on things of this nature, and emotion ...plays no part in law.

  2. #322
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    And once stricken, why would a gay man want to work in a religious setting where a core element of his nature is seen as an evil thing?
    Again, got me. Some folks are weird like that, they want to be everywhere they're not wanted.

  3. #323
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    All the Constitution and BoL does is state what an organized government CANNOT do. It does not extend whatsoever into private enterprise. The only thing an employer cannot contractually obligate is illegal activity. By actively fighting this, the only one violating rights is YOU, since you are forgoing their right to religion.

    Personal feelings and hopes have zero place in the business world. If you want a wish, find a lamp.
    There are only two sides of this position where one can remain intellectually consistent.

    A) You recognize that there are limits to what an employer can ask of an employee
    B) You claim that an employer can discrimate for absolutely any reason they want.

    If a Rastafari were in charge of a local Wal-Mart, and claimed that white people were evil in his religion, should he then be able to refuse employment to all white people simply because they're white? I mean, we wouldn't want to violate his religion now would we?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    the founders believed in contract law, if i lay out a contract, you read it, and say, yes i will honor that contract, ....then you have to honor it, or get fired!

    once a person has signed, the other party cant change the contract on unless both parties agree.

    so if someone is gay and hired, they cant be fired later on, if the comapny wants to changes the policy.

    what many people get into the the emotional part of the argument, on things of this nature, and emotion ...plays no part in law.
    And yet we don't live in the 18th century. Since then there have been anti-discrimination laws.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  4. #324
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,866
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Who here has even remotely claimed that someone has a right to work for any specific company? We're talking about discrimination laws, and an employer's ability to write absolutely anything they want down as terms for employment.
    If you force a company to hire someone or keep them employeed because <insert subject here> then that is an implication that that person has a right to that job in that company at question. Also in case you didn't know it but I am against affirmative action because affirmative action is in itself biased and racist and bigoted.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #325
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    If you force a company to hire someone or keep them employeed because <insert subject here> then that is an implication that that person has a right to that job in that company at question. Also in case you didn't know it but I am against affirmative action because affirmative action is in itself biased and racist and bigoted.
    No one is forcing anyone to do anything. To be honest, if the college really wanted her gone for that reason, they just could've found a legitimate reason to fire her, like being bad at her job. They didn't do that, however, they specifically came out and declared it was solely because of her bedroom activities.

    This isn't even in the same universe as affirmative action. No one is telling this college to hire X% of a pre-marital sex'ers.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  6. #326
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    There are only two sides of this position where one can remain intellectually consistent.

    A) You recognize that there are limits to what an employer can ask of an employee
    B) You claim that an employer can discrimate for absolutely any reason they want.

    If a Rastafari were in charge of a local Wal-Mart, and claimed that white people were evil in his religion, should he then be able to refuse employment to all white people simply because they're white? I mean, we wouldn't want to violate his religion now would we?
    One problem - race is protected (but it still happens). Sexual activity (not orientation, but activity) is not. They are a CHRISTIAN school, and they want their employees to have certain CHRISTIAN values. It's that simple.

    It has nothing to do with qualification, discrimination, or anything of the sort. They are looking for a type of person. You may as well be complaining about a law firm that won't hire someone with a law degree as a lawyer.

  7. #327
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    So what would be the difference between these two scenarios:

    - A company tells a candidate that they will not hire him because he's gay.
    - A company tells a candidate that they will not hire him unless he signs a contract saying he's not gay.

    It's simply a silly loophole around discrimination laws.
    Bad analogy. if b were to read "A company tells a candidate that they will not hire him unless he signs a contract saying he will not divulge in public his homosexuality", that would be a fair analogy.

    One is addressing thoughts, the other is addressing actions.

    Do you believe that a company should be able to fire or refuse to hire someone for absolutely any reason whatsoever? Whether that be skin color, sexual orientation, or anything else?
    Yes, but that is my libertarian side shining thorugh. I recognize that current law has stripped previous held rights away from the bigoted or racist elements of society.

  8. #328
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    I'm not seeing any grounds for a lawsuit here. She signed a contract, she violated said contract, and was terminated as a result. Don't want to get fired? Don't sign a contract you know you can't comply with.


    I have a lot of sympathy for this lady but I don't support her lawsuit.

    A person's word has to mean something.

  9. #329
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    One can voluntarily decide to be gay or a christian, why are those things protected?
    I'm not sure what that has to do with your attempt to draw a comparison between engaging in extramarital sex and an outward physical trait dependent on birth, besides as a rather obvious means to shift attention from the earlier ill-conceived comparison

  10. #330
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    Bad analogy. if b were to read "A company tells a candidate that they will not hire him unless he signs a contract saying he will not divulge in public his homosexuality", that would be a fair analogy.

    One is addressing thoughts, the other is addressing actions.



    Yes, but that is my libertarian side shining thorugh. I recognize that current law has stripped previous held rights away from the bigoted or racist elements of society.
    I find it interesting that you use the term "in public". Would it matter to you if it wasn't in public? This person seemed to have done the deed in private.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    I'm not sure what that has to do with your attempt to draw a comparison between engaging in extramarital sex and an outward physical trait dependent on birth, besides as a rather obvious means to shift attention from the earlier ill-conceived comparison
    Gay or christian are outward physical traits? Both of which you could choose to do, or not to do. Why is it ok to discriminate against someone for having pre-marital sex, but not for being gay or christian? I should be able to fire anyone I find out is christian, right? I mean that was their choice, not mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

Page 33 of 63 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •