Page 21 of 63 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 626

Thread: Woman fired for having sex

  1. #201
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Discrimination based on marital status is illegal. Putting a clause in a contract that results in termination based on marital status, say engaging in premarital sex, meets the standard.
    There's a difference between discriminating based on marital status and discriminating based on a specific behavior.

    Not hiring someone because they are single = discrimination based on marital status.

    Firing someone because you learn that they are divorced = discrimination based on marital status.

    Extramarital sex (premarital sex AND adultery) was apparently fully covered in the contract, so it can't truly be considered discrimination based on marital status, only based on behavior.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  2. #202
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Don't pull your usual obtuse nonsense Jerry. Specifying that an action (sex) is okay for married people but not for unmarried people is obviously discrimination based on martial status. There is plenty of precedent against people who tried to pull the same arguments about Miscegenation.
    So you can't cite the law? You spoke as though you knew what you were talking about. CA has some nutty laws, it wouldn't at all surprise me if they had one which specifically protected unmarried sex.

    There is legal precedent, in my state at least, for treating consensual sex differently between married and unmarried people. Adultery being grounds for for-fault divorce being one example. Suing a spouse's lover for "Alienation of Affection" being another.

  3. #203
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post

    She wasn't fired for not being married, she was fired for having sex while unmarried, and religious institutions have certain exemptions when it comes to things they can prove are cannon.
    Ministerial protections only apply when the employee's job is considered to be theological in nature. The women in question was a financial aid counselor which clearly doesn't meet the requirement.

  4. #204
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Ministerial protections only apply when the employee's job is considered to be theological in nature. The women in question was a financial aid counselor which clearly doesn't meet the requirement.
    I'm sure you can quote the law to make that statement true.

  5. #205
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    There's a difference between discriminating based on marital status and discriminating based on a specific behavior.

    Not hiring someone because they are single = discrimination based on marital status.

    Firing someone because you learn that they are divorced = discrimination based on marital status.

    Extramarital sex (premarital sex AND adultery) was apparently fully covered in the contract, so it can't truly be considered discrimination based on marital status, only based on behavior.
    Lets suppose the clause said "black people will be fired if they have sex, white people won't". Would you claim that is not racial discrimination simply because it targets a specific behavior? If two individuals engage in the same behavior but receive different treatment depending on whether they are married or not, its discrimination based on marital status.

  6. #206
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    No but firing for having sex based on their marital status is illegal in California.

    She was fired for breaking the contract that she signed of her own free will.

    Anyone who signs a contract and ignores the possibility that it might be enforced is pretty stupid.

    I guess that we'll just have to wait and see how this turns out in court.

    Since she broke the contract it seems to me that she should lose and pay all of the legal costs.

    I guess that her and her boyfriend never heard of contraception, like condoms, eh?



    "Condoms aren't completely safe. A friend of mine was wearing one and got hit by a bus." ~ Bob Rubin

  7. #207
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Lets suppose the clause said "black people will be fired if they have sex, white people won't". Would you claim that is not racial discrimination simply because it targets a specific behavior? If two individuals engage in the same behavior but receive different treatment depending on whether they are married or not, its discrimination based on marital status.
    Yes, let's defend the woman, because the world needs more children raised in single-parent homes.


    ...well, the Democrat party does, at least.

  8. #208
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    So you can't cite the law? You spoke as though you knew what you were talking about. CA has some nutty laws, it wouldn't at all surprise me if they had one which specifically protected unmarried sex.

    There is legal precedent, in my state at least, for treating consensual sex differently between married and unmarried people. Adultery being grounds for for-fault divorce being one example. Suing a spouse's lover for "Alienation of Affection" being another.
    The law in question is California code 12940. It doesn't meet your laughably specific demands of course, but that isn't the way the legal system works.

  9. #209
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    The law in question is California code 12940.
    Which paragraph? CA Codes (gov:12940-12951)

    Do you even know how to debate? Why aren't you bringing up the fact that they're now married? Why aren't you bringing up the fact that her now husband was hired when the school knew they were having pre-marital sex?

    You have no idea what you're doing on this website.
    Last edited by Jerry; 02-27-13 at 05:47 PM.

  10. #210
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Woman fired for having sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Its at the very top section (a).

    Do you even know how to debate? Why aren't you bringing up the fact that they're now married?
    Because it doesn't matter.

    Why aren't you bringing up the fact that her now husband was hired when the school knew they were having pre-marital sex?
    I did bring it up, try reading the thread.


    You have no idea what you're doing on this website.
    Jerry, I've seen 6 years of your attempts at trolling. Save it for someone else.

Page 21 of 63 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •