Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 161

Thread: Father wants school dress code changed after son asked to remove Marines T-shirt

  1. #71
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Father wants school dress code changed after son asked to remove Marines T-shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    No, It was intended as a reply to the thread's OP. Did I mess up?
    No, you didn't mess up. I just wanted to double check since it came immediately after my post. Sometimes people respond to the post above theirs without quoting it.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  2. #72
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Father wants school dress code changed after son asked to remove Marines T-shirt

    Turning a tee shirt inside out is a bit different...I see your point thogh. Probably cause of the 24 hour news cycle now days. Gotta fill that time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    And a random person being shot isn't national news either, and yet we were having a proliferation of such stories with that as well. Because, as Redress accurately said, most news agencies...not just fox...are businesses built around generating controversy to up readership and thus up advertiser dollars, and they glom onto sensationalized things that have no business being a national story because it helps that cause.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  3. #73
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Father wants school dress code changed after son asked to remove Marines T-shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    And the father, who the original post was seemingly referencing in terms of the comment about small government, was under that local jurisdiction.
    Absolutely. But why is some local situation that is really trivial making national news at all? Ultimately, it is because many of the people who consider themselves "small government" are not actually small government. They only promote those principles when they suits their purposes.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  4. #74
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Father wants school dress code changed after son asked to remove Marines T-shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    No, but there are definitely conservatives individuals in it. Both my Sister and my Cousin would qualify as two Conservative teachers I know.

    Would they have forced the boy to turn the shirt inside out, and threaten him with suspension if he didn't? Or, would they have not referred the matter to the principle?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #75
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Father wants school dress code changed after son asked to remove Marines T-shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Would they have forced the boy to turn the shirt inside out, and threaten him with suspension if he didn't? Or, would they have not referred the matter to the principle?
    the odds are very very high that this teacher leans to the left on gun control issues, but the story doesn't say, and it doesn't really matter.

  6. #76
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Father wants school dress code changed after son asked to remove Marines T-shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Absolutely.
    Then why the entire post attempting to counter my statement regarding the inane nature of suggesting being against a public schools dress code is somehow being against small government by talking about localities and such?

    But why is some local situation that is really trivial making national news at all?
    Which is an entirely different issue than the one I was addressing in the post you quoted, thus my confusion. Yeah, this is stupid as a national story....as is a **** ton of the "news" put out by all the 24/7 type of news outlets. I haven't suggested otherwise on that.

  7. #77
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Father wants school dress code changed after son asked to remove Marines T-shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The reaction was to the assumed rule violation. Only liberals seem to think rules should apply.

    See how stupid that kind of argument is?
    Where'd I say that? Now, I can see the event happening in that the liberal teacher doesn't like the shirt, maybe because in light of the current climate of the gun debate she is backing the liberal point of view, or because she doesn't like the military. I think the first is more likely...Then she over reacted, and tried to bully the student instead of taking it through proper channels....It was the teacher that acted stupidly here.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #78
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Father wants school dress code changed after son asked to remove Marines T-shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Would they have forced the boy to turn the shirt inside out, and threaten him with suspension if he didn't? Or, would they have not referred the matter to the principle?
    Without knowing the full situation it's entirely impossible to know how they'd act. It's irrelevant to the ignorant notion of you just leaping to the assumption that the individual must be a "liberal" because she's in the educational field.

  9. #79
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Father wants school dress code changed after son asked to remove Marines T-shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    And a random person being shot isn't national news either, and yet we were having a proliferation of such stories with that as well. Because, as Redress accurately said, most news agencies...not just fox...are businesses built around generating controversy to up readership and thus up advertiser dollars, and they glom onto sensationalized things that have no business being a national story because it helps that cause.
    Apples to Oranges, though. The story about the shooting is as useful for the overall national debate about gun control as story about someone using a gun for self-defense would be. an argument can be made for reporting the story nationally besides pure sensationalism.

    Whereas this story does not have any value to any national debates (the existence of dress codes at schools is fairly universally accepted and agreed upon, whereas the debate about specific dress codes at each school is entirely localized).
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #80
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Father wants school dress code changed after son asked to remove Marines T-shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Then why the entire post attempting to counter my statement regarding the inane nature of suggesting being against a public schools dress code is somehow being against small government by talking about localities and such?
    The specific statement I was responding to was fairly general, even though it was directed at a specific comment. I wanted to make sure that the differentiation was made since there are plenty of people here (not you, but others) who would mistakenly think that THEIR annoyance/outrage is not anti-small-government based on your position.



    Which is an entirely different issue than the one I was addressing in the post you quoted, thus my confusion. Yeah, this is stupid as a national story....as is a **** ton of the "news" put out by all the 24/7 type of news outlets. I haven't suggested otherwise on that.
    Yes, but this one is only a national story BECAUSE of the incongruity between allegedly supporting "small government" principles and actually supporting them. There is no opportunity to sensationalize this story without that incongruity.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •