Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 161

Thread: Father wants school dress code changed after son asked to remove Marines T-shirt

  1. #101
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Father wants school dress code changed after son asked to remove Marines T-shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    From the definition of activism, of course (the real one, not the one you have made up in your head)

    Activism - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

    You should look up straw man as well, since you got that wrong too.

    your link does not say that it has to be controversial. so where did that word come into this debate? sounds like a straw man to me.

    marine shirts are not controversial to all but the most repugnant liberals out there.

  2. #102
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Father wants school dress code changed after son asked to remove Marines T-shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    ------------------------------------------------

    I though the cons were all about following the rules and laws of society? I mean, just remove the damn shirt.

    Like the cons are for smaller governemet, i guess it's just another myth.
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]


    i just love this part:

    “He was upset, he couldn’t understand it,” he continued. “He couldn’t understand why a teacher would make him do that.”

    LOL, playing the "VICTIM".
    I wouldn't have any problem at all with school uniforms- not because of political identity, but because it helps mediate the obvious disparities in the classroom, when one kid has parents who can afford to buy him the best of everything, but another kid's parents are scraping just to meet his basic needs. External image is far too important to teens, in specific, and uniforms would make them less focused on appearances, which is a shallow focus to begin with.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  3. #103
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Father wants school dress code changed after son asked to remove Marines T-shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Pro tip: Wikipedia is not a dictionary.
    There is nothing wrong with my definition

    here is another

    activism - definition of activism by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

  4. #104
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Father wants school dress code changed after son asked to remove Marines T-shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    your link does not say that it has to be controversial.
    HAs to, no, but it did say "especially in support of or opposition to one side of a controversial issue"


    so where did that word come into this debate?
    It is present in the definition. The real one, not the one you have made up.

    sounds like a straw man to me.
    that is because straw man is very much like activism in teh sense that you do not know what it means.

    marine shirts are not controversial to all but the most repugnant liberals out there.
    See, had you actually known what a strawman was, you'd have known this was one.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #105
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Father wants school dress code changed after son asked to remove Marines T-shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    It is present in the definition. The real one, not the one you have made up.
    the one I made up?

    what a liar.

    implementing a dress code is activism BTW

  6. #106
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Father wants school dress code changed after son asked to remove Marines T-shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    There is nothing wrong with my definition
    Other than th efact that it isn't a real one, you mean?

    Wow. Another real definition that doesn't support your position in any way, shape, or form. I'm not surprised, since your position is based on an imaginary definition.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  7. #107
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Father wants school dress code changed after son asked to remove Marines T-shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    the one I made up?
    You have yet to provide an actual dictionary definition that supports your position, ergo your definition must be made up. It's really simple logic, since if you were using a real definition ,you'd be able to provide evidence of that.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #108
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Father wants school dress code changed after son asked to remove Marines T-shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Other than th efact that it isn't a real one, you mean?
    a real one?

    i'm guessing you were beat up plenty as a child.

  9. #109
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,313

    Re: Father wants school dress code changed after son asked to remove Marines T-shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    So now we agree that school is the place for activism.


    the only real difference is which activism we agree with.
    Activism, by your definition is in every nook and cranny of our society. Hey, I should be able to wear Basketball shorts and flipflops to work everyday, but nope. "Activism" through my companies dress code prevents me from doing that. And it makes sense. We have to project a sense of professionalism for our customers, I unfortunately don't work for GOOGLE.

    I could counter it with my form of "activism" but would soon be without a job.

    I think if you have to call it activism, then your next decision should be based on whether or not it's a distraction or its condusive to the primary purpose it was put in place to protect.

    That is in school, kids are there primarily to learn. Everything is else is secondary. Dress codes makes sense because they reduce distractions. Kids, some not mine for some reason can be distracted very easilly so why not do something that benefits them all ?

  10. #110
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Father wants school dress code changed after son asked to remove Marines T-shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    You have yet to provide an actual dictionary definition that supports your position, ergo your definition must be made up. It's really simple logic, since if you were using a real definition ,you'd be able to provide evidence of that.
    your definition works for me. implementing a dress code is activism per your defintion as well.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •