Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 56

Thread: Republicans aim to call Obama's 'bluff' on spending cuts

  1. #1
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Republicans aim to call Obama's 'bluff' on spending cuts

    With just four days remaining until automatic budget cuts kick in, Republicans are looking to call President Obama's "bluff" -- by giving him the flexibility to spread around the budget-ax pain in a way that would prevent the kind of fiscal doomsday his administration is predicting.

    snip

    Republicans reportedly are working on a bill this week that would grant Obama's Cabinet more leeway to target the cuts in a responsible way.


    Read more: Republicans aim to call Obama's 'bluff' on spending cuts | Fox News
    This is all such bull! Obama came up with this sequester crap, because he couldn't negotiate honestly with the GOP on a debt ceiling increase some year and a half ago. Now, not only does he want to blame his idea on repubs dishonestly, but want's to use typical fear tactics to get his way...I am so tired of this tin pot wanna be, repubs should ram these cuts right down his throat, and use every chance to make sure that America knows it was HIS idea.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #2
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,807

    Re: Republicans aim to call Obama's 'bluff' on spending cuts

    ...they're gonna cooperate?

    Holy ****.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #3
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Republicans aim to call Obama's 'bluff' on spending cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    ...they're gonna cooperate?

    Holy ****.
    You call it cooperation, I call it caving....I think it is a HUGE mistake.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #4
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,190

    Re: Republicans aim to call Obama's 'bluff' on spending cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    You call it cooperation, I call it caving....I think it is a HUGE mistake.
    Cuts are cuts - why does it matter how they are implemented? It's only caving if they take sequestration off the table or delay it - if that happens, Republicans can kiss elective office goodbye.

  5. #5
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,601

    Re: Republicans aim to call Obama's 'bluff' on spending cuts

    It does not matter. Obama won his goal, since these "cuts" are simply reductions in the "baseline budget" process increases, not any real deficit reduction at all. He staved off any serious reductions in domestic "discretionary" spending, half of these "cuts" are in defense. Obama got his tax "the rich" for $60 billion yet was allowed to add $90 billion in new spending ($30 billion for UI extension and $60 billion for Sandy storm relief) in that "deal" - a net federal deficit increase of $30 billion in one month, without any "pay as you go" nonsense. Note that the $85 billion figure discussed will likely end up being about half that since the 2013 fiscal year started on 10/1/2012 and the "cuts" start on 4/1/2013 (only 6 months remain in fiscal year 2013).

    Just where is that Obama 2013 "budget"? Yep, he got away without one again!

    As long as the "budget debate" is only about old stuff, that keeps any new spending cuts from being proposed, meanwhile Obama is scheming up more domestic spending increases on all fronts, gun control (bans/BG checks), immigration reform (amnesty) and education (free daycare). Obama wants to force the republicants to make entitlement cut proposals, you can rest assured that he will NEVER do so, so that the sheeple will demand that he "protect" them from that mean old party of the rich.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #6
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Republicans aim to call Obama's 'bluff' on spending cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Cuts are cuts - why does it matter how they are implemented? It's only caving if they take sequestration off the table or delay it - if that happens, Republicans can kiss elective office goodbye.
    I agree, but instead of letting Obama play games with the cuts, I say hands off, let it go through, and hang it around Obama's neck where it should be. After all, these aren't real cuts anyway...They are to proposed increases in future spending...Only in DC can a reduction in the proposed increase of spending be called a cut.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #7
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,197

    Re: Republicans aim to call Obama's 'bluff' on spending cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Cuts are cuts - why does it matter how they are implemented? It's only caving if they take sequestration off the table or delay it - if that happens, Republicans can kiss elective office goodbye.
    How about with a razor blade? Do you want America to be emo?

  8. #8
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Republicans aim to call Obama's 'bluff' on spending cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    This is all such bull! Obama came up with this sequester crap, because he couldn't negotiate honestly with the GOP on a debt ceiling increase some year and a half ago. Now, not only does he want to blame his idea on repubs dishonestly, but want's to use typical fear tactics to get his way...I am so tired of this tin pot wanna be, repubs should ram these cuts right down his throat, and use every chance to make sure that America knows it was HIS idea.
    Quite monstrous of him. Obama owes the Republican Party every consideration for their cooperative behavior over the course of his Administration.

    Not sure if I see the big deal. Someone has to soften the blow and Congress is incapable of doing it, so per usual the president winds up with the power.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  9. #9
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,601

    Re: Republicans aim to call Obama's 'bluff' on spending cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I agree, but instead of letting Obama play games with the cuts, I say hands off, let it go through, and hang it around Obama's neck where it should be. After all, these aren't real cuts anyway...They are to proposed increases in future spending...Only in DC can a reduction in the proposed increase of spending be called a cut.
    Yep. The cuts are fake, yet the tax increases are real, thus Obama demands "balance"; for every $1 of not increasing spending he gets $1 of new tax revenue - brilliant!
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #10
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Republicans aim to call Obama's 'bluff' on spending cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    It does not matter. Obama won his goal, since these "cuts" are simply reductions in the "baseline budget" process increases, not any real deficit reduction at all. He staved off any serious reductions in domestic "discretionary" spending, half of these "cuts" are in defense. Obama got his tax "the rich" for $60 billion yet was allowed to add $90 billion in new spending ($30 billion for UI extension and $60 billion for Sandy storm relief) in that "deal" - a net federal deficit increase of $30 billion in one month, without any "pay as you go" nonsense. Note that the $85 billion figure discussed will likely end up being about half that since the 2013 fiscal year started on 10/1/2012 and the "cuts" start on 4/1/2013 (only 6 months remain in fiscal year 2013).

    Just where is that Obama 2013 "budget"? Yep, he got away without one again!

    As long as the "budget debate" is only about old stuff, that keeps any new spending cuts from being proposed, meanwhile Obama is scheming up more domestic spending increases on all fronts, gun control (bans/BG checks), immigration reform (amnesty) and education (free daycare). Obama wants to force the republicants to make entitlement cut proposals, you can rest assured that he will NEVER do so, so that the sheeple will demand that he "protect" them from that mean old party of the rich.
    Our "tool of the status quo" President is far from my favorite leader, but I have to admit that when it comes to politics, he sure knows his stuff

    He beat the hands on favorite (Hillary) in '08, and won re-election despite high unemployment and slow growth, and now he's running political circles around the woe-begotten GOP and all they can do is whine "it's not our fault. *HE* started it!"
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •