Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 214

Thread: Michelle Obama surprises Oscars by presenting Best Picture award

  1. #91
    Professor
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    So. California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,937

    Re: Michelle Obama surprises Oscars by presenting Best Picture award

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Yahoo! News Canada - Latest News & Headlines


    Attention whoring at its finest. Pathetically low class, turning the White House into an extension of Hollywood.

    Obama and his family still love you no matter what you say
    He thanks you for HIS WIN back in Nov.

  2. #92
    Professor
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    So. California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,937

    Re: Michelle Obama surprises Oscars by presenting Best Picture award

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    So you are getting angry at her for presenting an award at the Oscars when budget cuts that she isn't even remotely entangled in, are going to occur? How is she guilty by association?
    He/she is angry because we have the first black president. They still cant get over that fact.

  3. #93
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,458
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Michelle Obama surprises Oscars by presenting Best Picture award

    To the best of my memory, I don't recall such vitriol directed towards Laura Bush in the years Dubya was in the WH. In the case of Michelle Obama, there a new hate thread ever week, it seems. I don't get it. Why is she such a favourite target here at DP?
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  4. #94
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,266

    Re: Michelle Obama surprises Oscars by presenting Best Picture award

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    To the best of my memory, I don't recall such vitriol directed towards Laura Bush in the years Dubya was in the WH. In the case of Michelle Obama, there a new hate thread ever week, it seems. I don't get it. Why is she such a favourite target here at DP?
    I think MO has mistakenly been placed on the Hate Map at SPLC. I know I get all my hate directives from there.

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Michelle Obama surprises Oscars by presenting Best Picture award

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Yahoo! News Canada - Latest News & Headlines


    Attention whoring at its finest. Pathetically low class, turning the White House into an extension of Hollywood.
    Yet another reason I'm glad to have skipped the Oscars in favor of the Walking Dead last night...

  6. #96
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Michelle Obama surprises Oscars by presenting Best Picture award

    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    He/she is angry because we have the first black president. They still cant get over that fact.
    And that's a rather ignorant statement based seemingly off nothing bug prejudice and bigotry. Wonderful job.

    If there's something most can't "Get over" when it comes to a President it's likely that the other side won and nothing to do with their race. People bitching about this by and large aren't doing it for any different reason than Rosy O'Donnell and Joy Behar criticized George and Laura Bush for appearing on American Idol...pure partisan sour grapes. It wasn't because Bush was a "redneck texan" or because Obama's "black" because the same thing would've happened if we turn the world back 15 years and this was Bill Clinton and Hillary.

    But thanks for the mindless race card being played simply because you desire to stereotype anyone that says a boohoo towards the Obamas

  7. #97
    Professor
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    So. California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,937

    Re: Michelle Obama surprises Oscars by presenting Best Picture award

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    And that's a rather ignorant statement based seemingly off nothing bug prejudice and bigotry. Wonderful job.

    If there's something most can't "Get over" when it comes to a President it's likely that the other side won and nothing to do with their race. People bitching about this by and large aren't doing it for any different reason than Rosy O'Donnell and Joy Behar criticized George and Laura Bush for appearing on American Idol...pure partisan sour grapes. It wasn't because Bush was a "redneck texan" or because Obama's "black" because the same thing would've happened if we turn the world back 15 years and this was Bill Clinton and Hillary.

    But thanks for the mindless race card being played simply because you desire to stereotype anyone that says a boohoo towards the Obamas
    Of course it's ignorant, just like this god damn thread is.

  8. #98
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Michelle Obama surprises Oscars by presenting Best Picture award

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    To the best of my memory, I don't recall such vitriol directed towards Laura Bush in the years Dubya was in the WH. In the case of Michelle Obama, there a new hate thread ever week, it seems. I don't get it. Why is she such a favourite target here at DP?
    If I were to try to come at this honestly, my view of it would probably reflect my view on a lot of things in terms of today compared to yester year....

    One, you're seeing more about it on DP because there's more users and more posters then there was anytime during Bush's presidency. More people tends to mean more people buying into stupid ginned up "controversies" meaning more posts about it.

    Two, at least from my recollection, Michelle seems to be far more active in the public eye than Laura was by and large, or at the very least gets a lot more media attention surrounding here. For instance, the entire thing regarding the public face of the "My Plate" rework of the Food Pyramid and "Let's Move" campaign, and the public promotion campaign that kind of went along with it, is unlike anything I can remember in terms of scope and media exposure for Laura.

    Third, Michelle was getting media attention for some time even before the Presidency. Articles about her in Essense in 2006, multiple appearances in Vanity Fair and People for "Best Dressed" prior to becoming FLOTUS, etc. Her magazine exposure didn't stop after becoming FLOTUS either. Only other First Lady than Hilldawg to land on the cover of Vogue. First person to be on the cover of Better Homes and Gardens for almost half a century. The entire story surrounding her, along with her looks and age, and her own personality, make her far easier to latch onto as a socialite and as a "celebrity" of sorts than someone like Laura Bush. Michelle Obama comes off as a celebrity (and I'm not meaning that as a negative), Laura Bush came off as a Country Club Debutante. One is significant more appealing to cover and promote in the media.

    Finally, I think it's just the ongoing trend of Media exposure and Social Communication. Laura is the only First Lady we can even compare in a relatively similar time period...and even then, if you think back to the first half of her Husbands presidency to what we have now it's still starkly different. 24/7 networks were common, but not nearly as prevalent. But more than that social media like Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and the gigantic blogosphere was a shadow of what's there today. The more space there is for noise, the more noises is generated, and I fear that in the future if we have another charismatic, young, outgoing FLOTUs that we're going to look back wondering if Michelle Obama had it as bad as her.

    In this particular case, I don't think there's some inherent greater interest to make her a "favorite target" but rather a symptom of the realities of the world we live and the differences in terms of the personalities and personas of the past first ladies and herself.

  9. #99
    Professor
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    So. California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,937

    Re: Michelle Obama surprises Oscars by presenting Best Picture award

    Conservative news outlet edits Michelle's photo.


    original:




    Edited version:

    cites religious purposes


    I see religious fundies are at it again.
    Conservative media edits...


  10. #100
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Michelle Obama surprises Oscars by presenting Best Picture award

    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    Conservative news outlet edits Michelle's photo.

    cites religious purposes

    I see religious fundies are at it again.
    Who cares?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •