Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 102

Thread: Drew Peterson sentenced to 38 years for wife's death

  1. #71
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,827

    Re: Drew Peterson sentenced to 38 years for wife's death

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    /shrugs Dunno. He's not that good looking. Maybe 16 year old girls like middle-aged paunchy douchebags now?
    Hot damn! Send them to OH - don't be greedy!
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

  2. #72
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,827

    Re: Drew Peterson sentenced to 38 years for wife's death

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    He sentenced him to life, basically. Thirty-eight years -- w/special circumstances, no possibility of parole. I think you're wrong about the judge thinking something is lacking. And who doesn't appeal? Especially someone with his assets.
    State funded attorneys.
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

  3. #73
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,827

    Re: Drew Peterson sentenced to 38 years for wife's death

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    No juries are. And, apparently this one heard the quacking loud and clear.
    I don't disagree that he was a complete POS.

    I don't disagree that he probably killed his wives.

    I am concerned that allowance of hearsay evidence is very dangerous for the rest of us.

    It is sad that someone related to his victims did not quietly take care of him themselves.
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

  4. #74
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,589

    Re: Drew Peterson sentenced to 38 years for wife's death

    OK - what other option would the law have, with regards to hearsay evidence? He killed two wives. Neither of them can testify against him, and being a cop, he was smart enough to make it look like an accident. If he hadn't killed Stacy, he would have gotten away with Kathleen. But seeing as how they are both dead, and can't testify against him, what other choice did they have? How else could they prosecute him when he is so good at covering up the evidence?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  5. #75
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,573

    Re: Drew Peterson sentenced to 38 years for wife's death

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    OK - what other option would the law have, with regards to hearsay evidence? He killed two wives. Neither of them can testify against him, and being a cop, he was smart enough to make it look like an accident. If he hadn't killed Stacy, he would have gotten away with Kathleen. But seeing as how they are both dead, and can't testify against him, what other choice did they have? How else could they prosecute him when he is so good at covering up the evidence?
    They could have had a Floriduh jury and he would have walked like Casey Anthony.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #76
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,589

    Re: Drew Peterson sentenced to 38 years for wife's death

    Which is exactly what would have happened. When they let her walk, I lost all faith in the jury system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  7. #77
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,596

    Re: Drew Peterson sentenced to 38 years for wife's death

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    OK - what other option would the law have, with regards to hearsay evidence? He killed two wives. Neither of them can testify against him, and being a cop, he was smart enough to make it look like an accident. If he hadn't killed Stacy, he would have gotten away with Kathleen. But seeing as how they are both dead, and can't testify against him, what other choice did they have? How else could they prosecute him when he is so good at covering up the evidence?
    And, if we think about it, what's wrong with a friend or family member testifying that the "victim" told them that her husband was threatening her? The defense has plenty of opportunity to cross examine the witness to ensure he/she isn't making it up. The only real question then is was the victim delusional. Well, she did end up dead. Right?

    We ought to think of it this way. How many of people out there have had wives die suspiciously? And, if they did, how many of those were telling their friends that that she thought her husband would kill her, that the husband even threatened to kill her? Who in their right mind thinks this information shouldn't be admitted into evidence at trial?

  8. #78
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,903

    Re: Drew Peterson sentenced to 38 years for wife's death

    Just to be fair, the jury didn't know about the "foolproof suffocation" Google search, and there's been a lot of speculation about what it might have decided had it known: Google Search For “Foolproof Suffocation” Found On Casey Anthony’s Computer From The Day Her Daughter Disappeared | TechCrunch

  9. #79
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Drew Peterson sentenced to 38 years for wife's death

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    You are soooo sensitive, Ex... But you're completely right. I wouldn't make a good lawyer. It takes a person willing to use selective ethics to be an attorney.
    It isn't sensitivity.
    It is my way of showing when a person has made an uncalled for and inappropriate comment. Which is not needed in debate.
    I throw it back in the persons face.


    And as for selective ethics.
    Not necessarily.

    You do not have to violate your ethics to provide the best defense you can withing the confines of the law.
    Or in other words; Make the State prove their case.

  10. #80
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,827

    Re: Drew Peterson sentenced to 38 years for wife's death

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    They could have had a Floriduh jury and he would have walked like Casey Anthony.
    She walked because the prosecutor did not do the job of presenting enough evidence to hammer her.

    Juries can only make decisions based upon the evidence presented.
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •