Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 157

Thread: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

  1. #81
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,040

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Contrary to what you may feel, I don't report to you
    Yes, because you are too busy to be bothered with facts. I see how you are now buddy. One of those people that just like to make baseless claims with no proof or evidence. Good for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    and as I've said previously, based on the comments posted on this thread, I stand by my original comment - if you don't like it, too bad, that is your choice, however. The very fact that so many here who claim to be pro-choice are fixated on the court ordering the child retain her access to the car she had before the pregnancy is at the very least curious, wouldn't you agree?
    Not at all. I don't think the court should have anything to do with them punishing their child. I don't agree with the punishments, if they are true, and I wouldn't treat my child the same way, but I don't think a court should have any say in the matter. If you do then you are supportive of a nanny state government. They should support the child in her right to choose, but should not interfere with the parent's right to parent. My opinion does not indicate any disdain for the child, and you are doing backflips trying to claim otherwise. You are wrong and this is your last ditch effort in trying to defend your ignorant assertion.

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    If you were all so much in favor of her choice, wouldn't you want her to have all the assistance and benefit she needs or that can be made available to her by her parents.
    I do want her to have all the assistance she needs, and I want everything to go well for her, that doesn't mean that I think the court should be able to invade the parents rights to parent. I think parents should hug their kids every night before bed, but I would be against a constitutional amendment forcing parents to do so. You get the difference yet? This isn't hard to comprehend.
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    All this nonsense about personal property and insurance and who pays the medical bills is all a smokescreen to justify the parents abandoning their child for making the wrong decision, in their view.
    It's not nonsense. I think that they should allow the use of the car for the child, but that doesn't mean I support the court mandating it.

    Rights have to mean something. If I support your right to say whatever you want according the constitution, does that mean that I also by definition agree with everything you say? Of course not, that's a stupid argument. Likewise, just because I think the parents have a right to parent and punish their child, it does not mean I agree with the punishment. You are ignoring the important distinctions, either because you don't get them, or on purpose, and trying to make a case out of it where there is none.

    No one has criticized the child, and no one has come close to showing any evidence that the pro choice crowd is appalled by her choice, instead every pro-choice person that has spoken on the issue has stated plainly that they support her decision regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  2. #82
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,175

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    Yes, because you are too busy to be bothered with facts. I see how you are now buddy. One of those people that just like to make baseless claims with no proof or evidence. Good for you.

    Not at all. I don't think the court should have anything to do with them punishing their child. I don't agree with the punishments, if they are true, and I wouldn't treat my child the same way, but I don't think a court should have any say in the matter. If you do then you are supportive of a nanny state government. They should support the child in her right to choose, but should not interfere with the parent's right to parent. My opinion does not indicate any disdain for the child, and you are doing backflips trying to claim otherwise. You are wrong and this is your last ditch effort in trying to defend your ignorant assertion.


    I do want her to have all the assistance she needs, and I want everything to go well for her, that doesn't mean that I think the court should be able to invade the parents rights to parent. I think parents should hug their kids every night before bed, but I would be against a constitutional amendment forcing parents to do so. You get the difference yet? This isn't hard to comprehend.

    It's not nonsense. I think that they should allow the use of the car for the child, but that doesn't mean I support the court mandating it.

    Rights have to mean something. If I support your right to say whatever you want according the constitution, does that mean that I also by definition agree with everything you say? Of course not, that's a stupid argument. Likewise, just because I think the parents have a right to parent and punish their child, it does not mean I agree with the punishment. You are ignoring the important distinctions, either because you don't get them, or on purpose, and trying to make a case out of it where there is none.

    No one has criticized the child, and no one has come close to showing any evidence that the pro choice crowd is appalled by her choice, instead every pro-choice person that has spoken on the issue has stated plainly that they support her decision regardless.
    You're comments portray a person who's not honest with himself or a person who has no understanding of the legal responsibilities of parents for the health and wellbeing of their children and the role of the courts in assuring they live up to those responsibilities. If you honestly think parents should have unfettered rights to do whatever they choose with "parenting" their children, I hope you don't now have or never do have children of your own.

  3. #83
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    The medical insurance, the car and phone, the parents withdrew those to coerce the kid into an abortion. There are a lot of things parents can legally coerce their children to do by withholding non-essentials, but this isn't one of them. That's why the judge ordered them to continue with what she had become accustomed to.

    Notice however, this judgement only applies until she moves out, which the kids intend to do.
    What?????? Since when is a car and a cellphone "essential"?? What planet are you on? Certainly not earth.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #84
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    What?????? Since when is a car and a cellphone "essential"?? What planet are you on? Certainly not earth.
    Depends where you live really - at least for the car. Our house in Vermont a car is pretty much essential if you plan to eat.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #85
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Depends where you live really - at least for the car. Our house in Vermont a car is pretty much essential if you plan to eat.
    I have never in my life heard of a parent being required to let their kid use or have a car. I don't care where someone lives. How many parents can afford that? How many parents have an extra car kids can use? Sounds really weird to me.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #86
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I have never in my life heard of a parent being required to let their kid use or have a car. I don't care where someone lives. How many parents can afford that? How many parents have an extra car kids can use? Sounds really weird to me.
    That's not what I argued. I simply said a car was essential in some areas. In some places, like Vermont, it's pretty much custom to buy a beater for your kids to drive around when they get older. Mostly because the main vehicle is used by the parents for work.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #87
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,865

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    The car key is a powerful weapon for the parents of teenagers. What's a shame is that this is even an issue when the real one--a girl who is pregnant and who will probably be dependent for help from parents in rearing a child they think she shouldn't have--is the reality.

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    04-03-13 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    458

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle - Yahoo! News




    Wow. This is odd. Not the story I thought it was going to be for sure.

    Not sure how I feel about this. Who is liable for the other half of the hospital bill?

    I imagine the tension in that house must be pretty high.

    Who has what rights here?
    When a child, a minor, is giving birth who has the ultimate say over this situation?

    Exactly what rights do the parents of the pregnant child have here?

    Since we know how responsible and mature 16yos are, who is going to raise this child, feed this child, see to regular medical care for the child. If not her parents, then the state.

    So, congrats, Pro-life, you've created another Mitt Romney 'taker'.

    This is insane, that the parents have to pay for the delivery.

  9. #89
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by mr4anarchy View Post
    Since we know how responsible and mature 16yos are, who is going to raise this child, feed this child, see to regular medical care for the child. If not her parents, then the state.

    So, congrats, Pro-life, you've created another Mitt Romney 'taker'.
    Pro-Lifers are not responsible for this situation. This girl had abortion legally available to her, but ultimately the choice was hers.

    This is insane, that the parents have to pay for the delivery.
    How is it insane? Parents are legally obligated to pay for medical care for their children, regardless of who is responsible. Teens injure themselves all the time in accidents that are entirely their fault, that doesn't alter the duty of the parent.

  10. #90
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,012

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    This is only a story because the pro-choice crowd is appalled by her choice.
    that is nonsense, why would I as a pro-choice person want to see a teenage girl be forced into an abortion. Abortions should be the choice of the mother and nobody but the mother. If parents want to force a teen to have an abortion they can go "you know what" themselves because it is not their choice. They have the choice to kick the girl out but extorting her to have an abortion is close to criminal behavior IMHO.

    We are pro-choice and not pro-abortion. And the last thing we want to see is someone pressured or blackmailed into or out of abortion. Abortion should be a free and well considered decision of the mother and the mother alone.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •