Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 157

Thread: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

  1. #61
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,185

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The parents have an obligation to provide medical care for the child. I said that in my first post in this thread

    And I know you read that post because you "liked" it.
    That's your supposition - not fact - I agreed with that take.

    However, the fact that the court ruled the girl should have the same access to the car that she had access to prior to the pregancy belies that the ruling was based solely on her medical needs. If medical needs was the only issue, the court could have ruled that the parents must ensure the child is provided access to medical care at their expense.

  2. #62
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    In case you missed it, conservatives believe in constitutional rights, even ones that the Supreme Court invents, and we also believe in the rule of law as adjudicted by courts.
    This is demonstrably false. All it takes is a reading of just about any thread in the guns forum

    Conservatives have no problem with people seeking relief from courts when they feel their rights have been infringed. Conservatives oppose the government insinuating themselves into the private lives of citizens and providing blanket solutions where no problem exists.
    This is also demonstrably wrong, as a persusal of just about any thread in the abortion forum demonstrates.
    Last edited by sangha; 02-19-13 at 05:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #63
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Seems to me the court looked at the preponderance of the evidence and determined the girls allegations were indeed fact and ordered that it stop. That's what courts do.
    Nothing indicates that the court determined that particular allegation was fact. Once again, you've resorted to fiction
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #64
    Professor
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    07-02-13 @ 12:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1,651

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    I'm pro choice and I fully support her being able to make her own decision and believe that her parents are in the wrong. Can you find me a single pro-choice person that has argued that the parents should be able to force her to get an abortion or that she shouldn't have the right to choose?
    I'm prochoice as well. She absolutely should have the right to choose to keep this baby. Her parents one day will regret taking such a tough stand. I would wager that her parents probably do not have to pay the hospital bill themselves but are being forced to allow their insurance to cover it. This could be a family court where a mediator was involved to enable everyone to come to their senses about how to get on with their lives.

  5. #65
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,185

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    I'm not saying it's a fact, don't put words in my mouth. I'm only saying that they are not arguing that they should be able to force her into an abortion. I gave you what they said. I asked for someone that is arguing that they should be able to force her, and you gave them as an example, and they have not, at anytime, came out and said they should be able to. I'm not saying it's a fact that they didn't, but it is a fact that they are not publicly arguing that.

    So come up with an actual example or retract your false allegation. Your choice.
    And you're trying to put words in my mouth - my original assertion was that this is only a story because the pro-choice crowd believe she made an appalling choice - I never once said that the pro-choice crowd believed the parent had a right to force an abortion.

  6. #66
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,044

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by 66gardeners View Post
    I'm prochoice as well. She absolutely should have the right to choose to keep this baby. Her parents one day will regret taking such a tough stand. I would wager that her parents probably do not have to pay the hospital bill themselves but are being forced to allow their insurance to cover it. This could be a family court where a mediator was involved to enable everyone to come to their senses about how to get on with their lives.
    You sound just like every other pro-choice person I've heard speak on this issue. The girl should be able to choose what happens. I don't know where CanadaJohn got his hair brain reasoning behind his assertion that "the pro-choice crowd is appalled by her choice" or that we think she shouldn't be able to choose.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  7. #67
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    That's your supposition - not fact - I agreed with that take.

    However, the fact that the court ruled the girl should have the same access to the car that she had access to prior to the pregancy belies that the ruling was based solely on her medical needs. If medical needs was the only issue, the court could have ruled that the parents must ensure the child is provided access to medical care at their expense.
    Once again, you've resorted to fiction

    I never said that you agreed with my post; I merely noted that you had read it, which I have proven.

    And I never said that the ruling was based solely on medical needs. I also said the court may have based the decision on her educational needs. Since that was also in my fiest post (the one that you "liked"), I know that you read that, so now you're relying on a straw man.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #68
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    And you're trying to put words in my mouth - my original assertion was that this is only a story because the pro-choice crowd believe she made an appalling choice
    Too bad you have yet to post any evidence to support this absurd claim of yours
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #69
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle - Yahoo! News

    Wow. This is odd. Not the story I thought it was going to be for sure.

    Not sure how I feel about this. Who is liable for the other half of the hospital bill?

    I imagine the tension in that house must be pretty high.

    Who has what rights here?
    When a child, a minor, is giving birth who has the ultimate say over this situation?

    Exactly what rights do the parents of the pregnant child have here?
    She has the right and I'm glad that she stood up to them and did what she felt was right for herself and told them to go **** off. . . bravo. My parents coerced me into dropping out of high school and getting married when I ended up pregnant at the age of 17 . . . I'm glad this girl is stronger than I was - their future will be better off for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    This is only a story because the pro-choice crowd is appalled by her choice.
    I'm actually thrilled with her choice - because it's HER CHOICE. Hence why I'm Pro-choice. I wish her and her child the best and hope her life isn't too difficult as a result of being pregnant/being a parent at such a young age. . . from my experience I can confirm that people can be horrid and vile when it comes to such things - kicking her while she's down, even. I hope her circle of support is much stronger, understanding and supportive than mine ever was.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 02-19-13 at 05:46 PM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  10. #70
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,044

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    And you're trying to put words in my mouth - my original assertion was that this is only a story because the pro-choice crowd believe she made an appalling choice - I never once said that the pro-choice crowd believed the parent had a right to force an abortion.
    1. Then why did you actually try to list people that argued that she shouldn't be able to make her own choice? (An answer that failed to actually answer the question btw). You say that we think it was an appalling choice, yet you can't name a single person that is arguing in favor of her parents, the people that are supposedly trying to make her change her mind. Don't you think there would be at the very least a tiny handful of people supporting the parents if we all thought her choice was "appalling"? Point proven.

    2. Then list some people that are appalled at her choice. Who in this thread has criticized her for her choice? Who has said she's a terrible person? Who in the media or in the pro-choice crowd has said she is making a terrible choice?

    Back up your claim or take it back. This isn't a conservative blog, if you tell lies here you will be called out on it, and I am calling you out. Either retract it or provide a basis for your claims.
    Last edited by roughdraft274; 02-19-13 at 05:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •