Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 157

Thread: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

  1. #121
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,445

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Please quote where RvW "explicitely states" what you claim it states
    I'll look for what I was gonna use.

  2. #122
    Student Mr. E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    PNW
    Last Seen
    10-27-13 @ 05:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    224

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    I'm kinda sad, I was looking forward to the abortion party (#what conservatives think liberals do)...I was going to reply constructively to this thread, however this is all I could mash out.

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    04-03-13 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    458

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    You don't seem to understand. Pregnancy is the choice of the mother, nobody else. Not you, not me, not her parents, not the father, not the government. Your position is no different from pro-lifers, you put your own personal feelings over the sovereign rights of a woman over her body.
    Actually, you just further articulated my argument. Since Pregnancy is a choice, then the minor can not be forced to carry to term. However, since we're talking about minors, incapable of truly understating the responsibility and unable to provide on their own, then the parents can still insist the she NOT carry to term. She is free to get pregnant again when she is an Adult.



    I'm sorry, you want to engage in an utterly monstrous violation of rights to save a few bucks on food stamps? Should we get rid of trials as well because they are too expensive?
    With that idiotic analogy, I guess you want to get rid of logic and honesty. And find me a lower-income child that can live 18 years on just food stamps from the government.


    Child Birth is not an elective medical procedure, its an absolute requirement for the safety of both mother and child.
    Why, an abortion of an unwanted, severely deformed or retarded child is better for mother, child, and society.

    Forcing a woman to carry to term is NOT EVER a requirement. In fact, it's banned in the first two trimesters by Roe v Wade.




    Yes, because history clearly shows us that underage girls are bigger threat than the potential abuse of letting the government control reproductive rights.
    How is it abusive to say don't have more babies than we can possibly feed or care for? -- That's compassion, reason, intelligence.

    You should see a movie called Idiocracy.

  4. #124
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by mr4anarchy View Post
    Why, an abortion of an unwanted, severely deformed or retarded child is better for mother, child, and society.
    Which is why orphans have a 100% suicide rate, because they agree with you that they're better off dead.

    Oh wait, no, you're just full of crap.

  5. #125
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    I think everyone needs to take a step back and realize there's another human being involved in this decision. It blows me away how little anyone is thinking of the child on this thread. We're so worried about the parent's rights to a friggin car or paying a hospital bill that we're losing sight of the fact that the judge made the best ruling in the interests of the child. That's who matters the most. That's the only person in this entire equation that cannot control any of the circumstances her screwed up parents and grandparents put her in. Why put the child at a disadvantage from the jump? It's the parent's responsibility to care for their child. Their child is pregnant and lives under their roof. Therefore they must provide medical care and transportation to their child and in turn the grandchild. If they didn't want this responsibility they should've A) Not had a kid themselves B) Supervised their child better so that this wouldn't happen. I understand parents can't be everywhere and we'll never know the circumstances that led to their girl and the father having the opportunity to have sex. But it happened under the parent's watch. Time to pay the piper. Heck, a lot of you would hold someone accountable that was in charge of a huge gov't agency for the actions of one employee whom the leader has never met but seem to lose that on a set of parents who are in charge of one person.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  6. #126
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    What if it was old school days - the parents said she could have the baby, but she'd have to give it up for abortion?

    Babies, as we all know, are massively expensive. Maybe the parents don't have the finances to pay for another baby.
    Even if the boy's parents agree to pay for half of everything.....

    What are the rights of the "grandparents" here?

    Since they will foot a good deal of the finances for a child they did not want or agree to have?

    Are they SOL simply because their child did something stupid?
    Yea this reminds me of those laws that require you to take care of elder family members, regardless of if they pissed away all their money or not.
    Why should one person be completely responsible for another, when they're legally allowed to do what they want.

    It transfers liability to a non fault party.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #127
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by mr4anarchy View Post
    Actually, you just further articulated my argument. Since Pregnancy is a choice, then the minor can not be forced to carry to term. However, since we're talking about minors, incapable of truly understating the responsibility and unable to provide on their own, then the parents can still insist the she NOT carry to term. She is free to get pregnant again when she is an Adult.
    You don't seem to understand the meaning of "choice". Choice means the pregnant woman is the sole person on the face of this earth who decides whether to have the baby or not. The mothers age and financial situation are irrelevant, her basic human rights trump any wishes of the parent or your political ideology.

    With that idiotic analogy, I guess you want to get rid of logic and honesty. And find me a lower-income child that can live 18 years on just food stamps from the government.
    The United States government spends more money on defense, social security or medicare than we do on raising children. We can entirely fix our deficit problem without committing any gross violations of human rights. Your argument is absurd and morally indefensible.

    Why, an abortion of an unwanted, severely deformed or retarded child is better for mother, child, and society.
    Sometimes that may be the case, but that isn't the point. People have rights in this country. For example, I think society would be better off without you spouting your political views, but I don't call for the government to sew your mouth shut because it would violate your freedom of speech.


    How is it abusive to say don't have more babies than we can possibly feed or care for? -- That's compassion, reason, intelligence.
    U.S. births are currently at replacement level, there is hardly a crisis of babies we can't feed or care for.

    You should see a movie called Idiocracy.
    You do realize that basing public policy on a comedy film is exactly the kind of stupidity that the movie makes fun of right?

  8. #128
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Yea this reminds me of those laws that require you to take care of elder family members, regardless of if they pissed away all their money or not.
    Why should one person be completely responsible for another, when they're legally allowed to do what they want.

    It transfers liability to a non fault party.
    Because most human beings don't see "let them die in the street" as being a reasonable option.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #129
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    What?????? Since when is a car and a cellphone "essential"?? What planet are you on? Certainly not earth.
    Didn't say they were Maggie, and I believe you misread that.

    There are a lot of things parents can legally coerce their children to do by withholding non-essentials, but this isn't one of them.
    Here's a good example, spousal support. The courts decide spousal support based upon what the spouse is accustomed to in the marriage. That's why some spouses get 200 a month and some get 20,000. The phone and car (which were the custom in this case) were ONLY being withheld because they wished to compel her to an abortion.

  10. #130
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,483

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    It isn't the court's legal right to determine whether or not a child may be "punished" or what constitutes "punishment" unless and until such actions constitute clearly defined abuse.

    Taking her car, which is likely not in her name and thus not her property, is absolutely within the parents' rights.
    Easy fix. Remove the fuse for the computer.

    "Sorry honey, I don't know why your car won't start."

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •