Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 157

Thread: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

  1. #91
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,029

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Of course, since you don't agree with me, I'm plainly wrong - why don't you educate me about parental responsibility for the health and safety of their children.
    What does parental responsibility for the health and safety of their children have to do with it. She is pregnant and does not want to have an abortion, that is not a sickness or a health issue because she is not going to die, injure herself of take an huge health risk. And the safety of the child also does not come into the picture. Having a child at her age might be unwise, but a danger to her safety it is not.

    And yes, you are wrong. This is not a pro-choice or pro-life issue but an issue within a family where one part of the family (parents) put undue pressure on the other part of the family (youth) to have an abortion against her will.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    04-03-13 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    458

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Pro-Lifers are not responsible for this situation. This girl had abortion legally available to her, but ultimately the choice was hers.
    I think underage girls should be able to choose to have an abortion, parents can not force them to have a baby.

    However, parents should be able to determine if their daughter is ready to have a baby. If you're underage, you have to show the means to care for an infant on your own, meaning a job or some form of income, otherwise your parents get to determine what is best for you.

    If food stamps and welfare are a bad word, and we want to cut back on those programs, then forced abortions needs to become more acceptable--someone needs to come up with a good euphemism, but if we're going broke, we shouldn't be having more children we can't afford to feed.

    Plan B in every high school counselors and nurses office.





    How is it insane? Parents are legally obligated to pay for medical care for their children, regardless of who is responsible. Teens injure themselves all the time in accidents that are entirely their fault, that doesn't alter the duty of the parent.
    Child birth would be an elective medical procedure -- parents should not be responsible.

    This is just setting a bad precedent--underage girls already want to get pregnant to feel more independent.

  3. #93
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by mr4anarchy View Post
    I think underage girls should be able to choose to have an abortion, parents can not force them to have a baby.

    However, parents should be able to determine if their daughter is ready to have a baby. If you're underage, you have to show the means to care for an infant on your own, meaning a job or some form of income, otherwise your parents get to determine what is best for you.
    You don't seem to understand. Pregnancy is the choice of the mother, nobody else. Not you, not me, not her parents, not the father, not the government. Your position is no different from pro-lifers, you put your own personal feelings over the sovereign rights of a woman over her body.

    If food stamps and welfare are a bad word, and we want to cut back on those programs, then forced abortions needs to become more acceptable--someone needs to come up with a good euphemism, but if we're going broke, we shouldn't be having more children we can't afford to feed.

    Plan B in every high school counselors and nurses office.
    I'm sorry, you want to engage in an utterly monstrous violation of rights to save a few bucks on food stamps? Should we get rid of trials as well because they are too expensive?

    Child birth would be an elective medical procedure -- parents should not be responsible.
    Child Birth is not an elective medical procedure, its an absolute requirement for the safety of both mother and child.

    This is just setting a bad precedent--underage girls already want to get pregnant to feel more independent.
    Yes, because history clearly shows us that underage girls are bigger threat than the potential abuse of letting the government control reproductive rights.

  4. #94
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,080

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    You're comments portray a person who's not honest with himself or a person who has no understanding of the legal responsibilities of parents for the health and wellbeing of their children and the role of the courts in assuring they live up to those responsibilities. If you honestly think parents should have unfettered rights to do whatever they choose with "parenting" their children, I hope you don't now have or never do have children of your own.
    Lol, I never said that they should be able to do whatever they want. I think it's fair for the court to say they must provide a method for the daughter to go to school, recieve all medical care for the baby and to work and back, I do not think they should mandate the parents that she get's to use her car. You are arguing that the government should be able to tell parents that they HAVE to provide their kid their own car and can not take it away from them. At what point do you think that's a good idea?

    If at any point the do anything that breaks the law, either by not providing healthcare, or by not providing her an education, then I'd be all for prosecuting them or forcing them to provide care. But I don't think it's smart to start a precedent that a government can come in and specify what luxuries you must provide your children.

    One again, you misunderstand my position, either intentionally or by accident.

    And still, I see you can't provide evidence that there is anyone hating on this girl for her choice. You make **** up and don't provide evidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  5. #95
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:00 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,072

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle - Yahoo! News




    Wow. This is odd. Not the story I thought it was going to be for sure.

    Not sure how I feel about this. Who is liable for the other half of the hospital bill?

    I imagine the tension in that house must be pretty high.

    Who has what rights here?
    When a child, a minor, is giving birth who has the ultimate say over this situation?

    Exactly what rights do the parents of the pregnant child have here?
    Once again, the innocent baby seems to have no say in your demented view on abortion.

    I vote for the rights of the baby.

  6. #96
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Once again, the innocent baby seems to have no say in your demented view on abortion.

    I vote for the rights of the baby.
    The fetus has no rights
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #97
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The fetus has no rights
    RvW was clear that the issue had not been addressed, nor had the issue of 'personhood'. The ruling was outside of any such consideration, this was explicit in the ruling.

  8. #98
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    Lol, I never said that they should be able to do whatever they want. I think it's fair for the court to say they must provide a method for the daughter to go to school, recieve all medical care for the baby and to work and back, I do not think they should mandate the parents that she get's to use her car. You are arguing that the government should be able to tell parents that they HAVE to provide their kid their own car and can not take it away from them. At what point do you think that's a good idea?

    If at any point the do anything that breaks the law, either by not providing healthcare, or by not providing her an education, then I'd be all for prosecuting them or forcing them to provide care. But I don't think it's smart to start a precedent that a government can come in and specify what luxuries you must provide your children.

    One again, you misunderstand my position, either intentionally or by accident.

    And still, I see you can't provide evidence that there is anyone hating on this girl for her choice. You make **** up and don't provide evidence.
    I don't want to get into the argument again today, I'll simply accept that we disagree, which is natural in a world where people have freedom of opinion and thought. I would simply note once again that the court is not mandating that the parents provide their child with "luxuries". As I understand the case, the child had access to a car their parents provided to her that she could use for her travel needs. When they found out she was pregnant and when she refused to have an abortion, the parents chose to take access to the car away from her. The court ruling, from my perspective, took the parents' actions as punishment for not agreeing to an abortion and ordered them to put things back the way they were prior to knowledge of the pregnancy. In addition, the court's ruling terminates when the child is born so it's a temporary measure to ensure that the daughter and the health of her child are not jeopardized during the pregnancy.

    If you have taken offense from my position, so be it - no offense was directed at you personally, however, I appreciate that you may have been insulted by virtue of my original comment.

  9. #99
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:44 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,557

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Once again, the innocent baby seems to have no say in your demented view on abortion.

    I vote for the rights of the baby.
    Any and all fertilization's of any and all eggs I've ever been a contributor to have either miscarried naturally, or were born into healthy happy daughters.

    I've never been a factor in any abortion anywhere on this earth.

    What I'm struggling with is why the parents of the pregnant girl would be forced to pay for anything by court of law.
    The parents of the pregnant girl appear to now be victims and in some way hostage to their daughter and her choices.

    What rights do the parents of the pregnant girl have here?

    It appears they have none.

    Is that the case? Is that appropriate for this situation?

  10. #100
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    RvW was clear that the issue had not been addressed, nor had the issue of 'personhood'. The ruling was outside of any such consideration, this was explicit in the ruling.
    RvW clearly states that under the constitution, a fetus is not a person, therefore the govt has no power to ban abortion
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •