Page 9 of 47 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 462

Thread: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slavery

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Therein you show your complete misunderstanding of the word "conservative" in addition to your complete misunderstanding of what the 2 parties stand for. As I have long suspected, you can only run the Limbaugh playbook which knows nothing of history.
    Actually I understand the term very well but it seems you don't. Again, Conservatives believe in human rights and equality and that is unwavering. Why should that attitude change over 200 years later? It is constant.
    Do Republicans think that homosexuals should have equal rights to marry or adopt children? Not last I checked, so the whole "all people should have equal rights" is in fact, crap.
    In fact Barrack Obama and Bill Clinton both came out against Gay Marriage though I have always been for it.

    But lets not deviate from the discussion at hand, okay?

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    QUOTE=iliveonramen;1061483394]I haven't changed my tune at all. [/QUOTE]

    Then please excuse me.


    This is the part where history (Republican party was anti-slavery Democratic party was pro-slavery) goes from factual to absurd. Last I checked I did not vote for an 1800's or even 1960's Democrat. I'm pretty sure no living Republican has voted for Abraham Lincoln. The fact you have to go back at least to the 1960's in order to make a counter argument to a strawman argument that all Republicans are racist says a lot!
    Can point out which part you find factual and which part absurd?
    Which is just ridiculous. Either the person making that argument is ignorant of Democratic reasons or just a liar. I honestly don't know which for the individual in the video because both would be believable.
    You didn't watch the video to the end, did you? Did it make you feel uncomfortable?

    Yes yes...we all know this line...up is down
    No, Liberals know that line. Speak for yourself here.

    ...it's immoral to help someone in need...the true moral response to someone living in poverty is to not help them.
    If that is your belief then you must live a rather sorry life. I believe we should all help each other.

  3. #83
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    How do you believe an 1860's Republican differs from a 2012 Republican?
    You don't even need to go back that far. There's been large changes in the Republican party in the past 10 or 20 years.

    As for the difference between Republican party members in the 1860's...we can start with the obvious. The Republican party was dominated by the manufactoring northeast and former northwest territories. The Democratic party was dominated by the deepsouth. The bases and regional dominance of each party has essentially reversed.

    We can also talk about the role of government. The southern Democrats believed in "states rights". Hence...the creation of a Confederation of states. Republicans for the most part were pro-central government. There's a reason Libertarians for the most part aren't big fans of Lincoln regarding his view of federal power.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  4. #84
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    QUOTE=iliveonramen;1061483394]I haven't changed my tune at all.
    Then please excuse me.




    Can point out which part you find factual and which part absurd?
    .[/QUOTE]

    Factual...the 1860's through 1960's Democratic party included a large group of Dixiecrats that supported slavery and Jim Crowe policies. Absurd...the Democratic party still includes a large group of Dixiecrates that support slavery and Jim Crowe policies or that the party even represents those views.

    You didn't watch the video to the end, did you? Did it make you feel uncomfortable?
    No not really. Didn't make me uncomfortable at all. It's not like the arguments presented are new and I haven't heard them before.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  5. #85
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,186

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Actually I understand the term very well but it seems you don't. Again, Conservatives believe in human rights and equality and that is unwavering. Why should that attitude change over 200 years later? It is constant.


    In fact Barrack Obama and Bill Clinton both came out against Gay Marriage though I have always been for it.

    But lets not deviate from the discussion at hand, okay?
    Conservatism seeks not to upset the social order. The social order at the time was that black people were at best inferior, and in some parts of the country were property. Conservatives tried to keep that going at the time and the "Radical Republicans" sought to change that.

    con·serv·a·tive [kuhn-sur-vuh-tiv] Show IPA
    adjective
    1.
    disposed to preserve existing conditions, institutions, etc., or to restore traditional ones, and to limit change.
    Conservative | Define Conservative at Dictionary.com


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    You don't even need to go back that far. There's been large changes in the Republican party in the past 10 or 20 years.
    Really? How so?

    As for the difference between Republican party members in the 1860's...we can start with the obvious. The Republican party was dominated by the manufactoring northeast and former northwest territories. The Democratic party was dominated by the deepsouth. The bases and regional dominance of each party has essentially reversed.
    Yes, that's the usual leftist excuse but do you have anything to support these statements?

    We can also talk about the role of government. The southern Democrats believed in "states rights". Hence...the creation of a Confederation of states. Republicans for the most part were pro-central government. There's a reason Libertarians for the most part aren't big fans of Lincoln regarding his view of federal power.
    The Republican Party began almost exclusively as an anti Slavery Party. The Democrats, or 'state rights' as you euphemistically refer to it it, were pro slavery. Just as now, the Republicans were "pro life".

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Conservatism seeks not to upset the social order. The social order at the time was that black people were at best inferior, and in some parts of the country were property. Conservatives tried to keep that going at the time and the "Radical Republicans" sought to change that.
    That's an interpretation exclusive to the Leftists but had you read any books on Conservative ism you'd know that's not so.


    Conservative | Define Conservative at Dictionary.com[/QUOTE]

    You'd be further ahead if you actually read a book on the subject rather than relying on a dictionary definition. I think we also understand the strange direction the word 'liberal' took as well.

  8. #88
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,186

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    That's an interpretation exclusive to the Leftists but had you read any books on Conservative ism you'd know that's not so.

    It's an interpretation based on fact, history and the definition of words. If that's what you call "leftist" then you obviously don't live in the same world as everybody else.

    If you go back even further, the Conservatives in 1775 were loyal to the Crown. Then a bunch of upstart radicals decided that they rejected colonialism.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  9. #89
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Really? How so?
    ".
    Republican Party Platforms, Then and Now - Graphic - NYTimes.com
    Platform 1980 vs 2012

    Some things are the same some are a completely opposite.

    Yes, that's the usual leftist excuse but do you have anything to support these statements?
    It's not an excuse...it's historical fact.

    Election%20of%201860%20Map%201.jpg2012electoralmapresultsfinal110812.jpg

    The Republican Party began almost exclusively as an anti Slavery Party. The Democrats, or 'state rights' as you euphemistically refer to it it, were pro slavery. Just as now, the Republicans were "pro life".
    You were correct until the last sentence. No you're just being silly
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    It's an interpretation based on fact, history and the definition of words. If that's what you call "leftist" then you obviously don't live in the same world as everybody else.

    If you go back even further, the Conservatives in 1775 were loyal to the Crown. Then a bunch of upstart radicals decided that they rejected colonialism.
    If you were more closely acquainted with facts and history you'd know that :Conservative", in a political sense, means different things to different people, all over the English speaking world. The same is true of "Liberal".

    Conservatism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Page 9 of 47 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •