Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 LastLast
Results 441 to 450 of 462

Thread: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slavery

  1. #441
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Just because you don't agree with it, doesn't mean the shoe don't fit. Most of the Conservative posts are in concert.
    You have a wonderful way of white washing history, and making up things that only are in your mind. The history is clear, and when the black community wakes up to the fact that mostly white demo politicians are furthering policy that doom them to less opportunity, lower educational standards, and over all plantation mentality keeping them down, demo's will see no more loyalty from the black community.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #442
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    It wouldn't be a full day if you didn't call at least one person a racist.

    But which party's policies have led to the blacks poverty and high unemployment and generational welfare ?
    The GOP's. I thought everybody knew that. Ya gotta quit reading those Texas Board of Education approved schoolbooks.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  3. #443
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    You have a wonderful way of white washing history, and making up things that only are in your mind. The history is clear, and when the black community wakes up to the fact that mostly white demo politicians are furthering policy that doom them to less opportunity, lower educational standards, and over all plantation mentality keeping them down, demo's will see no more loyalty from the black community.
    Ahh, the old familiar right wing refrain. Blacks don't vote for us because they are stupid. As soon as they realize how stupid they are, they'll vote for us because we know what's best for them.

    It's a winning strategy. Keep it up.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  4. #444
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Ahh, the old familiar right wing refrain. Blacks don't vote for us because they are stupid. As soon as they realize how stupid they are, they'll vote for us because we know what's best for them.

    It's a winning strategy. Keep it up.
    Yep, and you just keep on opposing things like educational choice, and see where that get's ya....Except there is a new minority that y'all are focusing on now isn't there? Yep, it may be even sooner than even I think when blacks realize that you libs are taking them for granted, and shifting focus to doing the same thing to the hispanic community now.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #445
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    You're being obtuse or purposely taking what i said out of context. I clearly meant a majority of Southerners who fought against the Confederates were non-slaveholders.
    That's not what you wrote.

    This was a direct response to your post, arguing that slaveholders were the ones fighting for the union.

    The alternative universe, I guess taking statements out of context helps solidify the delusions.
    I never said that. I said, that there were slave owners fighting in the Federal army.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #446
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Ahh, the old familiar right wing refrain. Blacks don't vote for us because they are stupid. As soon as they realize how stupid they are, they'll vote for us because we know what's best for them.

    It's a winning strategy. Keep it up.
    Who said that? Oh wait! No one! But, that doesn't matter does it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #447
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    The GOP's. I thought everybody knew that. Ya gotta quit reading those Texas Board of Education approved schoolbooks.
    Yeah! Welfare has been a smashing sucess! The Libbos have managed to keep generations of people on welfare and the benefits to society are incredibly obvious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #448
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,697

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    That's not what you wrote.
    Actually I did write that when taken in context of a reply to what you wrote. No one here would argue that the Union army consisted mostly of Southerners. Get real.



    I never said that. I said, that there were slave owners fighting in the Federal army.
    And, I sad, the majority of Southerners fighting in the union army were non-slaveholders.

  9. #449
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Actually I did write that when taken in context of a reply to what you wrote. No one here would argue that the Union army consisted mostly of Southerners. Get real.
    Except, you did argue exactly that.



    And, I sad, the majority of Southerners fighting in the union army were non-slaveholders.
    Not all of them. Just like there were northerners who fought for the Confederates, that weren't slave owners and even opposed slavery. John Pemberton, commander of the Vicksburg garrison was a Pennsylvanian and opposed slavery. Pat Cleburne, an Irish immigrant; he opposed slavery. General Cleburne and 13 of his officers petitioned the Confederate government to abolish slavery in 1862. James Longstreet had pushed the agenda of freeing the slaves, then declaring war on The United States.

    The opposite side of that coin, Mary Todd Lincoln's family were slave owners. The Emancipation Proclamation exempted slaves that were held in Union states.

    There were more freedmen living in the south than in the north. Before the end of Reconstruction, freedmen had the right to vote in the south, but not in the north. There were freedmen in the south that owned slaves. Jim Crow was a result of Reconstruction. If Reconstruction hadn't been so brutal, Jim Crow probably wouldn't have happened.

    Earlier, you said that former COnfederates were lucky they weren't exterminated; well, everyone knew that would be a bad idea, because it would have launched a guerilla war that would have lasted for decades. It's the reason that Lee was allowed so much lee-way at Appomattox: Grant was afraid that one mistep in the surrender process would send the Army of Northern Virginia into the mountains to carry on the war. Grant knew that his only single advantage over the COnfederates was is nearly unlimited source of warm bodies to use as cannon fodder, but also knew that that source wasn't infinite. There were more Federals dieing in battle than Confederates and hew knew that public opinion wouldn't stand for that, for long.

    You say that the war was fought over slavery, but the historical facts tell a much different story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #450
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,697

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Except, you did argue exactly that.
    No. You read it as that.


    Not all of them. Just like there were northerners who fought for the Confederates, that weren't slave owners and even opposed slavery. John Pemberton, commander of the Vicksburg garrison was a Pennsylvanian and opposed slavery. Pat Cleburne, an Irish immigrant; he opposed slavery. General Cleburne and 13 of his officers petitioned the Confederate government to abolish slavery in 1862. James Longstreet had pushed the agenda of freeing the slaves, then declaring war on The United States.

    The opposite side of that coin, Mary Todd Lincoln's family were slave owners. The Emancipation Proclamation exempted slaves that were held in Union states.

    There were more freedmen living in the south than in the north. Before the end of Reconstruction, freedmen had the right to vote in the south, but not in the north. There were freedmen in the south that owned slaves. Jim Crow was a result of Reconstruction. If Reconstruction hadn't been so brutal, Jim Crow probably wouldn't have happened.

    Earlier, you said that former COnfederates were lucky they weren't exterminated; well, everyone knew that would be a bad idea, because it would have launched a guerilla war that would have lasted for decades. It's the reason that Lee was allowed so much lee-way at Appomattox: Grant was afraid that one mistep in the surrender process would send the Army of Northern Virginia into the mountains to carry on the war. Grant knew that his only single advantage over the COnfederates was is nearly unlimited source of warm bodies to use as cannon fodder, but also knew that that source wasn't infinite. There were more Federals dieing in battle than Confederates and hew knew that public opinion wouldn't stand for that, for long.

    You say that the war was fought over slavery, but the historical facts tell a much different story.
    Some of the above I agree with: like the fact that the EP did not free slaves in Union states, and that the problem of remnants of the Confederate Army heading to the hills to carry on a guerrilla war was a significant risk. But, much of the rest I do not buy, like the concept that the war was not the result of the South's insistence to keep slavery alive and well.

    I guess we can simply agree to disagree. Or...keep hashing out various details on each of our disagreements.

    BTW: Lincoln's wife was crazy as a loon. That her family owned slaves would not surprise me.

Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •