Page 40 of 47 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 462

Thread: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slavery

  1. #391
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,850

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Sorry but you are saying precisely that in attempting to justify the actions of those who seceded from the Union. It was what they said at the time and it is rather obviously what you have said here in your posts about an "over-reaching federal government". Slavery was the single cause of the Civil War and all other attempts at justification are ex post facto
    What's more. It's not like Lincoln, upon being elected, sent union troops into the South to liberate Southern "property". No. The South seceded because the Lincoln administration stood against the expansion of slavery.

    So, at its core, the South threw a hissy not because anyone was violating their right to own slave. They seceded because their precious way of life would not be advancing further West. A far cry from the bs being sold above.

  2. #392
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,556

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    What's more. It's not like Lincoln, upon being elected, sent union troops into the South to liberate Southern "property". No. The South seceded because the Lincoln administration stood against the expansion of slavery.

    So, at its core, the South threw a hissy not because anyone was violating their right to own slave. They seceded because their precious way of life would not be advancing further West. A far cry from the bs being sold above.
    If the Civil War was fought over slavery and no other reason, then what were slave holders serving in the Federal armiesvfightong for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #393
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,850

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Slavery wasnt the single cause of the Civil War.
    It was the primary reason the South seceded, which then resulted in the war. In fact, judging by the images of cotton picking negros depicted on Confederate States money, I'd venture to say, slavery was their sole purpose for forming a second country.

  4. #394
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,850

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver


    How quaint.

  5. #395
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,850

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    If the Civil War was fought over slavery and no other reason, then what were slave holders serving in the Federal armiesvfightong for?
    Several reasons,
    At the start of the Civil War nonslaveholders rallied to defend "Southern rights" in impressive numbers, creating the impression of a "solid South" in which whites of all classes stood behind the Confederacy. However, as the war dragged on the Confederacy demanded increasing sacrifices. The draft, crop impressments, Confederate suspensions of civil liberties, and exemptions of plantation owners from military duty especially rankled the nonslaveholders. Resentments against the large slaveholders, on whose behalf the war seemed to be fought, blossomed. Following periods of military failure, increasing numbers of nonslaveholders refused to fight and die for a slaveholder's republic. Ultimately, according to some historians, so many of the common people turned against the Confederacy that internal conflict and demoralization, rather than defeat on the battlefield, destroyed the South's ability to resist the North.
    http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ncuv/honey1.htm
    Although, looks to me like it was mostly Southern non-slaveowners who were fighting for the Union.

  6. #396
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    You actually used these two in the same sentence? You're just making **** up now. Show me where Ron Paul is against civil rights.
    Ron Paul has said he was not in favor of the 1964 Civil Rights Act as it applied to private businesses.

    Ron Paul Says He Would Have Voted Against Civil Rights Act - COLORLINES

    Do you ever bother to do any research before you post your knee jerk defense of right wing bull****?
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  7. #397
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptyme View Post
    Like Robert Byrd? Oh my bad, he had a D after his name. I find it hilarious a known KKK member was in office up until 2010 but yet it is the Republican party that is the party of racists. Both parties have racists and to believe otherwise is ridiculous. Besides, a true Republican would never don the uniform of a democratic organization.
    You mean like David Duke, a former Republican candidate for Governor of Louisiana? But if your point is that Conservative southern racists dominated southern politics, you get no argument from me. They used ot be Democrats, now they're Republicans.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  8. #398
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    What's more. It's not like Lincoln, upon being elected, sent union troops into the South to liberate Southern "property". No. The South seceded because the Lincoln administration stood against the expansion of slavery.

    So, at its core, the South threw a hissy not because anyone was violating their right to own slave. They seceded because their precious way of life would not be advancing further West. A far cry from the bs being sold above.
    Sometimes our Conservative Southern friends need a dose of reality. Apparently Jefferson Davis Junior College doesn't teach U.S. History to them.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  9. #399
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    If the Civil War was fought over slavery and no other reason, then what were slave holders serving in the Federal armiesvfightong for?
    Let me try and explain this to you, although any reasonable history text book would do the same (except for Texas, where they're re-writing history books to reflect the secessionist viewpoint). Here goes"

    The South fought the war to preserve slavery. The North fought the war to preserve the Union. I'd suggest you print this and put it somewhere where you can read it every day.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  10. #400
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    During that time period, wasn't that the thinking?
    Well, it sure as hell was in the south.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

Page 40 of 47 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •