Page 21 of 47 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 462

Thread: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slavery

  1. #201
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    How do you believe an 1860's Republican differs from a 2012 Republican?
    Well, 1860 Republicans clearly believed in a strong federal government and states subservient to that government. Almost exactly the opposite of today..
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  2. #202
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,706

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    And what does that tell you?
    Want to become a politician--slap an R behind your name, don a sheet, and run for office in one of the former Confederate States?

  3. #203
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Well, 1860 Republicans clearly believed in a strong federal government and states subservient to that government. Almost exactly the opposite of today..
    But would that have been true if State Rights had not included slavery? Perhaps not.

  4. #204
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,820

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    But would that have been true if State Rights had not included slavery? Perhaps not.

    There there was the "Free Soil, Free Men, Free Labor" segment of the ante-bellum Republican Party. It was part of the original party platform that free men were to be given free land in the western states, never mind those uncivilised natives who were already living there.

    Do you think the modern GOP would support giving away land to unemployed people? With the stipulation that they had to live on the land and try to farm for five to seven years.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  5. #205
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    There there was the "Free Soil, Free Men, Free Labor" segment of the ante-bellum Republican Party. It was part of the original party platform that free men were to be given free land in the western states, never mind those uncivilised natives who were already living there.

    Do you think the modern GOP would support giving away land to unemployed people? With the stipulation that they had to live on the land and try to farm for five to seven years.
    Are there still those 'wide open spaces' existing in the USA as there was 150 years ago?

    Yoy might consider the proposition that political slogans might change with the times.

  6. #206
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,820

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Are there still those 'wide open spaces' existing in the USA as there was 150 years ago?

    Yoy might consider the proposition that political slogans might change with the times.

    So "Free Land" was just a 'slogan'? And not a rather important difference between the thinking of the GOP at its inception and the corporate-favoring 21st C. GOP
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  7. #207
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Michael Moore reported on this a longtime ago.

    TV Nation - Abolishing Slavery in 1995 - YouTube

  8. #208
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    So "Free Land" was just a 'slogan'? And not a rather important difference between the thinking of the GOP at its inception and the corporate-favoring 21st C. GOP
    I'm feel quite certain that you have a real connection between the slogan of yesterday and the GOP of today.

    Why not share it with us not and get the suspense over with?

  9. #209
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    The entire point of a tread of this nature is that liberals have lists of things that they are told to hate. When things that are on the Hate List are mentioned, the loon's estrogen/emotion generator kicks in and they feel hate and as we all know, when loons feel something, it must be expressed immediately and any nearby loons must be rallied to join the braying.

    Mississippi is on that Liberal Hate List so that is why we have a thread of this nature desperately searching for a reason for existence, yet filled with directionless emotion. Topics such as this, while pointless to normal people, are immensely satisfying to the ever bleating loons. This is part of their unusual, but fascinating, pathology.
    Oh no! The evil liberals are to blame again! Help me!

  10. #210
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,820

    Re: After 148 years, Mississippi finally ratifies 13th Amendment, which banned slaver

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I'm feel quite certain that you have a real connection between the slogan of yesterday and the GOP of today.

    Why not share it with us not and get the suspense over with?
    Hey I'm not the poster who incessantly ties a political party of yesteryear with the same party today. Just providing a bit of context for real history instead of ideology.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

Page 21 of 47 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •