Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 68

Thread: Iceland wants to ban Internet porn

  1. #41
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Seen
    02-25-17 @ 07:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    805

    Re: Iceland wants to ban Internet porn

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Iceland can do what they want. I have no objections to them banning porn.
    Me neither.

    Some of the people here want to take a swift look at their ethics. It's not just about you and it's not just about censoring children's use of internet, as opposed to censoring your misuse of it.

    The vast majority of women working in the sex industry are coerced (c 74%). Consider what kind of person you are, next time you disregard the rights of those women in order to get your sick jollies. Maybe you could stop providing a market.

    Then consider what kind of society has porn-addicted weirdoes walk amongst it and how many children can feel safe in that environment.

    The whole thing worries me. It's an aspect of men which can't be examined too closely...not nice.

  2. #42
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Iceland wants to ban Internet porn

    Quote Originally Posted by Viv View Post
    Then consider what kind of society has porn-addicted weirdoes walk amongst it and how many children can feel safe in that environment.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Iceland wants to ban Internet porn

    Quote Originally Posted by Viv View Post
    The vast majority of women working in the sex industry are coerced (c 74%). Consider what kind of person you are, next time you disregard the rights of those women in order to get your sick jollies.
    That claim may be true if you include all of the prostitution in places where extreme poverty forces women into prostitution due to a lack of other opportunities. I would never argue that it is moral to have sex with a young Thai girl for example.

    However, that is not true for the USA and Western Europe where greater access to working opportunities means fewer women are forced into sex work. Those that are forced into sex work due to economics are in the lower end of street prostitution, not porn. It is simply untrue to claim that a significant number of women working as strippers or porn in the USA and Western Europe did not make a free choice. They do that work because the money is good and they don't find the work excessively undesirable. (Virtually) No one is harmed in the making of mainstream porn.

    Virtually all men have consumed porn, very few are rapists or child molesters.
    Last edited by Hard Truth; 02-17-13 at 05:19 PM.

  4. #44
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Seen
    02-25-17 @ 07:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    805

    Re: Iceland wants to ban Internet porn

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    That claim may be true if you include all of the prostitution in places where extreme poverty forces women into prostitution due to a lack of other opportunities. I would never argue that it is moral to have sex with a young Thai girl for example.

    However, that is not true for the USA and Western Europe where greater access to working opportunities means fewer women are forced into sex work. Those that are forced into sex work due to economics are in the lower end of street prostitution, not porn. It is simply untrue to claim that a significant number of women working as strippers or porn in the USA and Western Europe did not make a free choice. They do that work because the money is good and they don't find the work excessively undesirable. (Virtually) No one is harmed in the making of mainstream porn.
    That is absolute cobblers and would not excuse in any way what some of the people here do in their online time. I have produced evidence of this many times and no doubt will have to do so again here. The US has a vast and hugely profitable porn industry and therefore power and ability to influence reporting, so I don't expect you to be aware of the reality of it.

    Alongside that, men just do not wish to consider how women are affected by the market they provide. It's not harming anyone, it's not your responsibility. You like your seedy porn and don't see why you can't have it.

    As for the poster who claims lack of porn will cause rape, why don't you insist all women wear burkhas and be done with it?

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Iceland wants to ban Internet porn

    Quote Originally Posted by Viv View Post
    The US has a vast and hugely profitable porn industry and therefore power and ability to influence reporting, so I don't expect you to be aware of the reality of it.
    I have a lot of first-hand and second-hand experience with the industry. If you actually met and talked with a wide cross section of the participants and visited clubs and movie sets you would know that the reality is what I described.

  6. #46
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Seen
    02-25-17 @ 07:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    805

    Re: Iceland wants to ban Internet porn

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    I have a lot of first-hand and second-hand experience with the industry. If you actually met and talked with a wide cross section of the participants and visited clubs and movie sets you would know that the reality is what I described.
    No evidence then. Just anecdotal.
    Sex trafficking alone generates approx $US7 billion
    per year in profits although Interpol has given a
    higher estimate of $US19 billion annually (U.S. State
    Department, 2008)
    • Profits from sex trafficking are approximately $US217.8
    billion a year or $23,000 per victim (ILO, 2005 as cited
    in U.S. State Department, 2008).
    http://www.worldvision.com.au/Librar...ploitation.pdf

  7. #47
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Iceland wants to ban Internet porn

    Quote Originally Posted by Viv View Post
    No evidence then. Just anecdotal.
    Sex trafficking is not porn

    Basically, it's kidnapping women and making them work as whores.

    It's not porn. Your argument is completely dishonest
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Iceland wants to ban Internet porn

    To the extent that there is sex trafficking in the USA (most claims are wildly exagerated) it occurs with underground brothels and massage parlors and other fronts for prostitution. It is the illegal status of prostitution and immigration laws that allows trafficking to exist. Legal porn and strip clubs do not need unwilling participants because there is no shortage of willing participants and the owners do not want trouble, especially since they already are faced with various forms of scrutiny and harassment.

    There is a lot of misinformation put out there about sex workers from religious groups and extreme feminists with an anti-sex agenda. Most trafficking is for farm workers and domestic servants. Some elements in law enforcement buy into it also because of the funding that is offered for anti-traficking efforts. The mainstream media loves to promote sensationalism about sex because it sells (i.e daytime talk shows, Law and Order SVU, prime-time expose shows) and it doesn't cost them any advertising dollars.

    If you don't believe me, go to your local strip club and ask the workers whether they want to be "rescued." You can also go to the Adult Video and Gentlemen's Club conventions in Vegas and meet many of the particpants in sex work.
    Last edited by Hard Truth; 02-17-13 at 07:03 PM.

  9. #49
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: Iceland wants to ban Internet porn

    The same people that are upset about the banning of porn in Iceland, won't concern themselves with global warming in China.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #50
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,719

    Re: Iceland wants to ban Internet porn

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    The same people that are upset about the banning of porn in Iceland, won't concern themselves with global warming in China.
    ...why would those two issues be expected to have a correlation?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •