Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 95

Thread: girl gets boot from Catholic football league

  1. #41
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: girl gets boot from Catholic football league

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Yes, as all anti-Catholics know the women saints are all second-class saints. Mary? She's a joke to Catholics.
    Forgive me - but all Mary did was have a baby - because God decided she was the one.

    Yep - so free, there.

    Individualism, equality and freedom is the antithesis of the Abrahamic religions. According to all: the genders have expectations and requirements and you're not living for yourself - you're living for God (etc). You're not free, you're not an individual and you're not equal.

    It's just the way most religions go.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 02-15-13 at 03:36 PM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  2. #42
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,637

    Re: girl gets boot from Catholic football league

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    She did dress like a man, and she's a saint in the oh so misogynistic church.
    The church does (well, most churches do, frankly) have issues with women in leadership or positions of power. Not even Joan's story was missing that element (the understatement of a lifetime!). So, it is a misogynistic institution, but there are limits to that.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  3. #43
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,180

    Re: girl gets boot from Catholic football league

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Forgive me - but all Mary did was have a baby.
    You mean she would have been more acceptible had she opted for the lifestyle abortion?

  4. #44
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: girl gets boot from Catholic football league

    It should be noted that the same policy against coed participation exists in public schools around the nation. This isn't just a catholic school thing.

  5. #45
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: girl gets boot from Catholic football league

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    'More than able to hold her own,' girl gets boot from Catholic football league - CNN.com





    Nothing to see here folks, just more of the CC showing it's true sexist colors.
    It's silly for sure. She can play at that level, at least for now, and should be allowed to compete. However, this isn't new. Boys aren't allowed to play on girls teams. Remember about a year ago that boy that wasn't allowed to play with the girls field hockey team?

    How many of you jumping up and down here excused that case?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #46
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: girl gets boot from Catholic football league

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    The church does (well, most churches do, frankly) have issues with women in leadership or positions of power. Not even Joan's story was missing that element (the understatement of a lifetime!). So, it is a misogynistic institution, but there are limits to that.
    Only in positions that require ordination. That's one place the Church cannot go. The priest is supposed to act in persona Christi. Christ came as a man, so how could a woman perform this role? In addition, there were only men at the last supper where ordination began. Thus, it is not that the Church will not ordain women; rather they cannot.

    But for other positions, the Church has no position. They can be sacristans, run charities, run convents, etc. There is no problem with that. And lest you think that women have no role in the theology of the Church, remember St. Therese who is a doctor of the Church.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  7. #47
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: girl gets boot from Catholic football league

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Forgive me - but all Mary did was have a baby - because God decided she was the one.

    Yep - so free, there.

    Individualism, equality and freedom is the antithesis of the Abrahamic religions. According to all: the genders have expectations and requirements and you're not living for yourself - you're living for God (etc). You're not free, you're not an individual and you're not equal.

    It's just the way most religions go.
    What's your point?

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  8. #48
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,810

    Re: girl gets boot from Catholic football league

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Only in positions that require ordination. That's one place the Church cannot go. The priest is supposed to act in persona Christi. Christ came as a man, so how could a woman perform this role? In addition, there were only men at the last supper where ordination began. Thus, it is not that the Church will not ordain women; rather they cannot.

    But for other positions, the Church has no position. They can be sacristans, run charities, run convents, etc. There is no problem with that. And lest you think that women have no role in the theology of the Church, remember St. Therese who is a doctor of the Church.
    The RCC will not ordain women by their own choice, under rules that they established for themselves.
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

  9. #49
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: girl gets boot from Catholic football league

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    You mean she would have been more acceptible had she opted for the lifestyle abortion?
    Does that, in some way, counter that the Catholic Church is sexist with it's views about men and women? Or is the abortion-counter automatically brought up to avoid discussing it altogether?

    What on earth does that have to do with anything? It didn't REALLY happen, you know. She wasn't REALLY impregnated by a god. There was no parthenogenically bared offspring to be aborted.

    The story of Mary was, however, not the first story of a god impregnating a human. It is, however, the only one still widely believed by modern man in mass numbers. And of course - can only be used once in a religion, it seems, since she got the sainthood card.

    That doesn't erase the fact that most religions have strict views of what is acceptable for the genders - very few support gender equality. Most are rigid with their expectations. It's just a fact - that apparently some people approve of and support and further and others don't.

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    What's your point?
    That the Catholic Church still holds desperately onto it's sexist views.

    Just a statement of fact.

    What would you call it? "It's ok to treat the sexes differently because of their natural-born traits and our opinions on what they should do within that gender-role?" . . . that's sexism, you know.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  10. #50
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: girl gets boot from Catholic football league

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    The RCC will not ordain women by their own choice, under rules that they established for themselves.
    If you want to completely ignore the reasoning that's your prerogative.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •