Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 95

Thread: girl gets boot from Catholic football league

  1. #21
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: girl gets boot from Catholic football league

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    I dont play football so none. But I understand your point and yes it is a societal problem based on religious dogma. Fact is the best female football player ever (Marta) learned her trade by playing against boys in Brazil and could if she was allowed by the male dominated football associations... play in any top flight male football team.

    Don't you think it's telling that you need to cite the "best girl player" and point out she could "hold her own"? Seriously, the fact that ideology can trump basic science for some of you people, as you howl about religious dogma, must be some of the funniest **** I got to read on here in a long time

  2. #22
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: girl gets boot from Catholic football league

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    I dont play football so none. But I understand your point and yes it is a societal problem based on religious dogma. Fact is the best female football player ever (Marta) learned her trade by playing against boys in Brazil and could if she was allowed by the male dominated football associations... play in any top flight male football team.
    Last I checked you don't get crushed by 300 pound gorillas in soccer.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  3. #23
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,557

    Re: girl gets boot from Catholic football league

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    Why do the homosexuals and atheists post thread after thread attacking Christianity? Why do they hate that others have a faith and happiness that they themselves lack?
    Who exactly is a homosexual and an atheist in this thread?

    Be specific. Please.

  4. #24
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: girl gets boot from Catholic football league

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The school doesn't mention any concern about safety. The problem is that girls and boys will *gasp* in contact with each other.

    Also, she is #110 and I see no mention of any 200# players. However, I did see this:
    I doubt it has anything to do with safety at all. Just the church being prudish (though, the fact that boys are getting boners, and the girls tits, just happens to coiuncide with muscular development). But that doesn't mean the "we are all the same" talk is any less moronic. There are clear differences between the sexes that impact physical development

  5. #25
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,169

    Re: girl gets boot from Catholic football league

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    It would be fairer if they had physical standards for everyone. Minimum/Maximum position weights kinds of things. Do you see it as dangerous (forget political correctness) for an 80# girl to be playing on the field with players (of either sex) that outweigh her by 75-100 pounds? I do.
    That's fine, but they seem to only be doing this because she's a girl.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,557

    Re: girl gets boot from Catholic football league

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I see nothing wrong with not allowing girls to play football with guys. A girl getting tackled by a 200# eight-grader just doesn't make sense to me. Oh, wait! We're not about common sense!! We're about political correctness.
    That's not what's going on here.

    This is purely a common sense situation. She loves playing football. She's good at it. She's good enough to play with the boys and be good at it.

    Why can't she play?

    Would you say a boy that weighs 80 pounds should be barred from playing on a team of boys that weigh 140 pounds even if they're all the same age?

  7. #27
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: girl gets boot from Catholic football league

    actually weight limits are enforced in most jr leagues, due to safety concerns.

  8. #28
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: girl gets boot from Catholic football league

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    That's not what's going on here.

    This is purely a common sense situation. She loves playing football. She's good at it. She's good enough to play with the boys and be good at it.

    Why can't she play?

    Would you say a boy that weighs 80 pounds should be barred from playing on a team of boys that weigh 140 pounds even if they're all the same age?
    Actually, setting weight differentials would be fine with me, sans taking one's sex into account.

    According to the Brain Injury Research Institute, in any given season, 20 percent of high school players sustain brain injuries. More than 40.5 percent of high school athletes who have suffered concussions return to action prematurely, which can lead to death from Second Impact Syndrome, a condition in which the brain swells, shutting down the brain stem and resulting in respiratory failure.

    It's not just concussions we're concerned about. Purdue University researchers recently compared changes in the brains of high school football players who had suffered concussions with the brains of players who were concussion-free and found brain tissue damage in both. That's scary stuff. That means brain injuries are occurring without players, coaches or parents being aware of it.

    Repetitive subconcussive hits to the head can cause as much damage as concussion-causing hits. A growing focus in the brain trauma field is chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a brain degeneration disease. It has many symptoms similar to Alzheimer's and other neurological diseases, however it isn't the result of some endogenous disease but due to brain injury — being hit too many times in the head.

    Now consider that the average high school football lineman receives 1,000 to 1,500 shots to the head during a single football season, based on estimates by Boston University researchers.
    In my opinion, it won't be long before high school football either changes the rules dramatically or shuts down. Probably by insurance companies refusing to write policies to protect them from liability. It's a dangerous sport.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #29
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: girl gets boot from Catholic football league

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    I doubt it has anything to do with safety at all. Just the church being prudish (though, the fact that boys are getting boners, and the girls tits, just happens to coiuncide with muscular development). But that doesn't mean the "we are all the same" talk is any less moronic. There are clear differences between the sexes that impact physical development
    I don't see any "we are all the same" talk. I do see some making the argument that we all should be judged according to the same standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #30
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,557

    Re: girl gets boot from Catholic football league

    Sports Safety - Injury Statistics and Incidence Rates | Johns Hopkins Medicine Health Library


    Yes - we should just ban children. That wold fix everything.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •