Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 138

Thread: Meteorite strikes, 'around 100 injured'

  1. #101
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,224

    Re: Meteorite strikes, 'around 100 injured'

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Russia has nothing
    to gain from a war with the US or West. That of course does not dictate that their weapon capabilities aren't dangerous, but their interests are largely aligned with the West when it comes to many things, peace included. While Russia will wage some form of economic warfare, actual hot conflict is really something they'd try to avoid. And yes, Romney was off his rocker when he said the biggest threat to the US was Russia.



    So? We regularly run our Ohio classes well within range of their cities with enough nuclear firepower to turn every major Russian city into glass. Furthermore, the stealthy Virginia class lets us deploy SEAL teams directly on to foreign soil without anyone knowing. And we still have our B-2 bombers capable of dropping multimegaton warheads into the densest, most defended cities on the planet.

    Try to get some perspective for a change.



    So they're tweaking us. Besides, that doesn't even make sense. Those bombers are slow and easily taken out. If they really want to take Guam out, they'd use a submarine to a launch a nuclear tipped cruise missile. Russia is trying to get our attention, but it's hardly the real weapon they'd use. Essentially that's a one way trip for the bomber. With a submarine, the chance of an actual successful attack is much higher. Furthermore, Tupolev Tu-22M is a superior anti-US bomber than the bear is. Launching from Vladivostok, the Backfire is faster and much smaller target than the bear. And within the maximum range cruise missile, they are within range. They'd still come scary close to Kadena and the mere fact of a backfire flying would raise serious red alarms all through out the region, but that would be the aerial choice of platform, not the bear.

    Furthermore, based on ABC news, we knew about these bombers as soon as they took off from North East Russia. Japan had eyes on them with their own fighters. Bear bombers are slow, easy to track and easy to destroy. Takes lots of guts to actually get in to one of those. Bears are far more useful for standoff weapons when they have escorts, as recon and as experimental platforms: essentially the same stuff we use our B-52s for. Both the Bear and the BFF aren't really considered for front line combat.



    A P-700 has more than twice that capabilities. And can be launched from a stealthy submarine that has a much better chance at evading multiple layers of US defenses. On top of that, the extreme range of the Kh-55SM gives Anderson about 3 hours to prepare. US missile defenses aren't that good at taking out supersonic missiles, but 3 hours is plenty of time to setup missile interceptor batteries. The Granit gives Anderson about 20 minutes. It's pretty clear what they'd use if they were serious about destroying US equipment. So we have your scenario which requires bombers to get through multiple layers of defense, survive, then launch a series of missiles that will take about 3 hours to get to their target destination over sending a submarine to launch a much bigger payload per missile that goes double the speed and gives Guam only 20 minutes to actually prepare and evacuate. Conclusion: Russia is tweaking us because they can. Oh Putin, what a joker. The most direct route to hitting Guam would be to overfly one of the largest US airbases on the planet: Kadena. Yeah. Not going to happen.



    Pretty much. You seem worried about the wrong things. Besides, we really don't need that many nukes anyways.



    Is that why terrorists attacks are down after we invaded Iraq? Oh wait, they're not.



    How is that even related? China and Japan have been complaining about that for decades. Furthermore, Japan has territorial disputes with every neighbor it has. South Korea has been fighting Japan over its own set of stupid islands. Taiwan and Philippines both have their scraps with Tokyo over islands. What is causing the flare is up is the Japanese government's decision to buy the islands from its Japanese private land owners. If they had not done that, no one would be talking about this. Amusingly, the authorization was meant to reduce the problem as the Japanese government incorrectly believed that once they had purchased them, because they were now officially government property, China would back off. This has frankly nothing to do with the US and several US officials have quietly said that we will not go to war over "damn rocks."



    That has been starting since we funded the Mujahedin in Afghanistan all those years. And after Britain and France back stabbed their Arab allies after WWII. Neither have anything to do with what you are saying. In fact, our over reaction to 9/11 has directly benefited them as the cost to put it on was less than a few million and the economic damage and related debt is well into the trillions.

    You again seem worried about the wrong things.



    Neither of which will happen. China undergoing its 10 year change of power and starting a war? Not going to happen. And Independence in Taiwan is no different then it was last couple elections. Furthermore, China will take Taiwan the way it's doing now: economically. Taiwan is so tied into the Chinese economy that given enough time, Taiwan will eventually revert to PRC control. It makes no sense for the Chinese to actually fight a war over Taiwan as long as Taiwan does not openly declare independence.



    And the missile will fail epically. Furthermore, NK uses its nuclear program to legitimize its government because it frankly has nothing else. Iran and North Korea share the desire to live. Using nukes ends their regimes.



    You should read less Tom Clancy and more Foreign Policy. Iran cannot win a conventional war with Israel. And Iran knows that any nuclear first strike will instantly put the Arabs against them and see a dozen Israeli nukes fly back at them. Iran knows it cannot track the Dolphin class submarines Israel has and that have harpoon cruise missiles with nukes on them. Iran's nuclear arsenal is tiny compared to the Israelis.

    Besides, if China really wanted us dead, they'd simply just sell our bonds at a fire sale. That would seriously damage their economy, but if they were die hard enough, that would be better than starting a war.



    No, you think that because you have really no idea what you are talking about.



    Perhaps you should take off your tin foil hat. You really have no idea what you are discussing. Something tells me you seriously underestimated my knowledge on these subjects.

    Ok my perspective, I dont read Tom Clancy BTW, is based on an actual occurance that you seem to be all to willing to mitigate because it fits your personal preference.

    An additional nuclear detonation by N.Korea wasn't in the latest Tom Clancy book, it happened. Also seeing how under your idiot President things have gotten much worse with 2 new Islamic threats rising up under Morsi and Lybia, the incompetence and lies that surround Benghazzi, Iran improving on their ballistic missle technology and moving full steam ahead on uranium enrichment and N. Korea setting off an additional nuke please understand why I think your blind allegiance style of International affairs is so full of $hit.

    Not to mention the rising tension between China and Japan.....which I mentioned. All these things are substantial, not imagined or out of a book.

    Whats ironic is that as your side throws around the tin hat cliche you also argue that we're currently in the midst of a economic recovery and the current economic or foreign policy disaster that confronts us is the fault of ONE MAN who hasn't been in office in 4 years.

    I tend to ignore the input of someone that argues that an exploding debt, 8,500,000 million jobs disappearing, massive injections of capital by the Fed, a rising dependent class, a shrinking economy , and rising taxes with rising unemployment is the way to fix the economy.

  2. #102
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,224

    Re: Meteorite strikes, 'around 100 injured'

    And Russia ? I can list multiple reasons to show you Romney knew what he was talking about. Maybe Obvious can list the reasons why they're our fuzzie little bunny friends.

  3. #103
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,562

    Re: Meteorite strikes, 'around 100 injured'

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Ok my perspective, I dont read Tom Clancy BTW, is based on an actual occurance that you seem to be all to willing to mitigate because it fits your personal preference.

    An additional nuclear detonation by N.Korea wasn't in the latest Tom Clancy book, it happened. Also seeing how under your idiot President things have gotten much worse with 2 new Islamic threats rising up under Morsi and Lybia, the incompetence and lies that surround Benghazzi, Iran improving on their ballistic missle technology and moving full steam ahead on uranium enrichment and N. Korea setting off an additional nuke please understand why I think your blind allegiance style of International affairs is so full of $hit.

    Not to mention the rising tension between China and Japan.....which I mentioned. All these things are substantial, not imagined or out of a book.

    Whats ironic is that as your side throws around the tin hat cliche you also argue that we're currently in the midst of a economic recovery and the current economic or foreign policy disaster that confronts us is the fault of ONE MAN who hasn't been in office in 4 years.

    I tend to ignore the input of someone that argues that an exploding debt, 8,500,000 million jobs disappearing, massive injections of capital by the Fed, a rising dependent class, a shrinking economy , and rising taxes with rising unemployment is the way to fix the economy.
    But, other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like that play?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #104
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Meteorite strikes, 'around 100 injured'

    Any Russian geography buff: how close was this to the 1908 strike in the Urals? I'm wondering if this region may be a strike zone on a cycle of sorts. As we continue to populate the globe, these strikes which were once in desolate areas are now falling in areas that aren't so desolate anymore.

  5. #105
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Meteorite strikes, 'around 100 injured'

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Ok my perspective, I dont read Tom Clancy BTW, is based on an actual occurance that you seem to be all to willing to mitigate because it fits your personal preference.
    If we want to base our speculation on actual occurrences, we can speculate on all kinds of crazy ****. The problems is you are not grounded in reality or facts. Your entire post reads as a "why I hate Obama" rant.

    The simple fact of the matter is you do not understand the topics here.

    An additional nuclear detonation by N.Korea wasn't in the latest Tom Clancy book, it happened.
    And it doesn't change anything. In fact, the simplest way of dealing with North Korea is to simply ignore them. Any actual nuclear aggression ends their regime. So they can't use them offensively. And as ignoring them leads no threat to their regime, they won't use them defensively. Essentially we let North Korea rot.

    Also seeing how under your idiot President things have gotten much worse with 2 new Islamic threats rising up under Morsi and Lybia, the incompetence and lies that surround Benghazzi, Iran improving on their ballistic missle technology and moving full steam ahead on uranium enrichment and N. Korea setting off an additional nuke please understand why I think your blind allegiance style of International affairs is so full of $hit.
    Too bad I didn't vote for him. Furthermore, Libya is hardly an Islamic threat. The government there is not anti-American and Moris was duly elected. You are basically saying that Obama should have sided with a Dictator and violently help down put a peaceful revolution that wanted and got Democracy.

    And Benghazi is a witch hunt that diehard Obama haters are always jumping on. You will find anything to hate him on. As for Iran, what do you want us to do? Invade? Are you willing to die in the Iranian Occupation? Do you have any idea how bad that will be? All I hear is big talk from an ignorant chickenhawk. And Iran's enrichment is hardly going full steam. We are currently at war with Iran. It's just not an open shooting war. You seem to think that Suxnet never existed. And that we aren't assassinating Iranian scientists.

    Not to mention the rising tension between China and Japan.....which I mentioned. All these things are substantial, not imagined or out of a book.
    Except that, as I mentioned before, and as you epically failed to address, it has nothing to do with Obama. If you want to pretend how my posts don't exist, you can. I can also start being a complete asshole to you treating you like the **** of the Earth.

    Whats ironic is that as your side throws around the tin hat cliche you also argue that we're currently in the midst of a economic recovery and the current economic or foreign policy disaster that confronts us is the fault of ONE MAN who hasn't been in office in 4 years.
    Perhaps you should actually read what I write before assuming that. I didn't even vote for Obama. And I posted my ballot. Want to retract your argument? I realize you have nothing but an sad attempt at trying to label me in hopes you don't have to deal with my actual arguments. We both know I am FAR superior at this then you are. Hence why you are deliberately NOT discussing what I wrote.

    I tend to ignore the input of someone that argues that an exploding debt, 8,500,000 million jobs disappearing, massive injections of capital by the Fed, a rising dependent class, a shrinking economy , and rising taxes with rising unemployment is the way to fix the economy.
    Yawn.

    Come back when you actually have something other than a lame attempt at labeling.

    Didn't vote for Obama in 2008. Didn't vote for him in 2012. And suddenly I'm a rabid Obama fan? Try again.

    It's damn clear you got your ass kicked there and you aren't man enough to own up to it.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  6. #106
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Meteorite strikes, 'around 100 injured'

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    And Russia ? I can list multiple reasons to show you Romney knew what he was talking about. Maybe Obvious can list the reasons why they're our fuzzie little bunny friends.

    Try. We know you can't.


    You are worried about a 50 year old subsonic bomber we can track from lift off firing a missile that takes three hours to get there over something Russia would actually use.

    Your opinion is based on nothing more than "I Hate Obama."
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  7. #107
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Meteorite strikes, 'around 100 injured'

    So, I would like to recommend a book. It's about a policeman in the last few months before an asteroid, a big one, is going to hit the earth. I really like to setting, the writing and the way the lwas were handled. Check it out. The Last Policeman: A Novel: Ben Winters: 9781594745768: Amazon.com: Books

  8. #108
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,224

    Re: Meteorite strikes, 'around 100 injured'

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    If we want to base our speculation on
    actual occurrences, we can speculate
    on all kinds of crazy ****. The problems is you are not grounded in reality or facts. Your entire post reads as a "why I hate Obama" rant.

    The simple fact of the matter is you do not understand the topics here.



    And it doesn't change anything. In fact, the simplest way of dealing with North Korea is to simply ignore them. Any actual nuclear aggression ends their regime. So they can't use them offensively. And as ignoring them leads no threat to their regime, they won't use them defensively. Essentially we let North Korea rot.



    Too bad I didn't vote for him. Furthermore, Libya is hardly an Islamic threat. The government there is not anti-American and Moris was duly elected. You are basically saying that Obama should have sided with a Dictator and violently help down put a peaceful revolution that wanted and got Democracy.

    And Benghazi is a witch hunt that diehard Obama haters are always jumping on. You will find anything to hate him on. As for Iran, what do you want us to do? Invade? Are you willing to die in the Iranian Occupation? Do you have any idea how bad that will be? All I hear is big talk from an ignorant chickenhawk. And Iran's enrichment is hardly going full steam. We are currently at war with Iran. It's just not an open shooting war. You seem to think that Suxnet never existed. And that we aren't assassinating Iranian scientists.



    Except that, as I mentioned before, and as you epically failed to address, it has nothing to do with Obama. If you want to pretend how my posts don't exist, you can. I can also start being a complete asshole to you treating you like the **** of the Earth.



    Perhaps you should actually read what I write before assuming that. I didn't even vote for Obama. And I posted my ballot. Want to retract your argument? I realize you have nothing but an sad attempt at trying to label me in hopes you don't have to deal with my actual arguments. We both know I am FAR superior at this then you are. Hence why you are deliberately NOT discussing what I wrote.



    Yawn.

    Come back when you actually have something other than a lame attempt at labeling.

    Didn't vote for Obama in 2008. Didn't vote for him in 2012. And suddenly I'm a rabid Obama fan? Try again.

    It's damn clear you got your ass kicked there and you aren't man enough to own up to it.
    You sure do think like a Obama voter.

    And where did I get my ass kicked again ?

    By your mitigations ? But wait this quote of yours is priceless.....''If we're going to speculate on actual occurences, we can speculate on all kinds of crazy **** ". LOL..

    Anyone who publicly makes a statement like that is not capable of kicking any one's ass.

    I'm under the impression that "crazy **** " and actual occurences are mutually exclusive but who knew.

    Aside from your contradictory statement you failed to notice the most likely result of Iran's and N. Korea's race for fissionable material.

    That a unregulated and uncontrolled manufacture of highly enriched uranium logically lends to the obvious likely hood that some of that material makes it's way out of either of those Countries and into the hands of terrorist.

    But nvmnd, THATS Tom Clancy stuff and YES Obama should have done his due dilligence to make sure Egypt and Libya remained in the hands of two dictators that kept their Islamic Fundamemtalist in control.

    But who doesn't love a theocracy full of American and Israeli Hating lunatics ? Theyr'e good people.

    Iv'e dealt with your arguments, they're naive at best. Yes we have had to hold our nose at the existence of a certain dictator in the past because a ISLAMIC THEORCRACY HELL BENT ON THE DESTRUCTION OF ISRAEL is probably not the best idea for a unstable region like the Middle East.

    But it's ok, the muslim brotherhood are our bestest buddies in the whole wide world. Obama and Morsi sittin' in a tree...K-I-S-S-I-N-G...

    You bring up SuxNet and seem to have all the faith in the world in a administration that cant even get military assistance to Libya within a 9 hour period to save its Ambassador.

    I mean it's JUST AFRICOM. Our assets there are meager and few, you know, relative to the threat of the Area.
    Last edited by Fenton; 02-16-13 at 08:49 PM.

  9. #109
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Meteorite strikes, 'around 100 injured'

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    You sure do think like a Obama voter.
    Translation: Fenton doesn't have an argument so he's going to try the label argument again.

    And where did I get my ass kicked again ?
    Usually every post you get rebutted, but this one in particular:

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1061471112

    By your mitigations ? But wait this quote of yours is priceless.....''If we're going to speculate on actual occurences, we can speculate on all kinds of crazy **** ". LOL..

    Anyone who publicly makes a statement like that is not capable of kicking any one's ass.

    Because....


    I'm under the impression that "crazy **** " and actual occurences are mutually exclusive but who knew.
    No, what you did was take an occurrences and blow it well past its actual meaning. Thus, if we all did what you did, we can take actual occurrences, we can speculate on all kinds of crazy ****. See how easy that was?

    Aside from your contradictory statement you failed to notice the most likely result of Iran's and N. Korea's race for fissionable material

    That a unregulated and uncontrolled manufacture of highly enriched uranium logically lends to the obvious likely hood that some of that material makes it's way out of either of those Countries and into the hands of terrorist.
    Now that is stupid

    Now I'll explain to you why your argument is a bunch of stupid, to which you will have no reply but to try attempt ANOTHER lame label attack.

    First of all, terrorist groups have always been out of direct control of the states that sponsor them. From the Contras, the Hamas, to the Mujahedin. They do not take direct orders and often do what they want. Second, use of a nuclear weapon by such a group would be relatively easily traced by to a likely target source and be met with international force. So if the Mullahs or Kim Jung Un decide to be a total idiot and give weapons they've never given to anyone to terrorists who then use them, they end their regimes. Everything both the Mullahs and the Kim Dynasty has done has been to preserve their power. Giving people you cannot control weapons of mass destruction creates a huge risk to their decades of power consolidation. And as we saw in Iraq, the best weapons Iran gave to terrorists fighting the US led forces were shaped charges...which have existed since WWII. You are essentially arguing that Iran, despite having issues with control over Hezbollah, would give terrorists groups their pinnacle of Iranian weapons knowing full well that any usage would point back to Tehran and ultimately lead to their destruction. It is as if you have no understanding of any history at all of anything the Islamic Republic Mullahs have done in their entire period in power.

    Second, to steal sufficient material to actually make a dirty bomb would largely be impractical. And it is simply easier to just rob poorly guarded research reactors around the world as well as FSU material sites. Despite the Nunn-Lugar CTR and the actions of people like Mr. Turner in securing these sites, there are still dozens of these lying around FSU and former Soviet aligned nations. Heck, even South America has sizable deposits from its time of doing research. To actually steal and smuggle fissile material out of a state like North Korea where the state is everywhere is essentially impossible. Terrorists go for easy targets. And it is much, much, much easier to just break into or bribe a guard, make off with a few dozen pounds of radioactive or fissile material.

    You again seem extremely worried about the wrong things.

    If you are seriously worried about terrorists getting fissile material, you'd be for more funding for the Nunn-Lugar CTR as well as taking over what Mr. Tuner has been forced to fund: the securing of fissile material throughout the world. Turner funded it because the US government wouldn't do it. He funded a massive operation to secure tons of material from Belgrade.

    I don't see why you are still here. You are outmatched in every way.

    You do not understand the history
    You do not understand terrorism
    You do not understand state relations with independent actors
    You do not understand the past 30 years of Iranian and North Korea government
    You do not understand the threats posed by the fall of the Soviet Union
    You do not understand any of the military equipment

    I can keep going on and on and on about things you just do not get. Why you keep subjecting yourself to being destroyed over and over again by someone in possession of vastly superior amounts of knowledge then you is beyond rational thought

    But nvmnd, THATS Tom Clancy stuff and YES Obama should have done his due dilligence to make sure Egypt and Libya remained in the hands of two dictators that kept their Islamic Fundamemtalist in control.
    Actually Tom Clancy would be an independent organization free of governments that is well funded that hires former Soviet scientists to build nuclear weapons from fissile material stolen from FSU sites across Eastern Europe to blackmail governments into doing what they want or risk having nuclear weapons that have already been smuggled into their respective nations exploding in large population centers.

    Seriously dude, you can't even that right.

    So you are literally saying that Obama should have said no to the demands of people for freedom?
    So you are literally saying that Obama should have actively helped dictators put down revolutions asking for the same freedoms that Americans enjoy?
    So you are literally saying that Obama should have turned his back on people despite praising the democracy of the Iraqis?

    Libya is still not Anti-American. Please get some basic knowledge about something before replying. Your ignorance here is astounding.

    But who doesn't love a theocracy full of American and Israeli Hating lunatics ? Theyr'e good people.
    Drama is not a substitute for knowledge.

    Iv'e dealt with your arguments, they're naive at best.
    This coming from the guy who is afraid of a 50 year old subsonic bomber over the actual threats the Russians pose. You really have no idea do you?

    Yes we have had to hold our nose at the existence of a certain dictator in the past because a ISLAMIC THEORCRACY HELL BENT ON THE DESTRUCTION OF ISRAEL is probably not the best idea for a unstable region like the Middle East.
    O'rly? If that is actually what they want, why didn't they just use their massive chemical weapon stockpiles during the previous wars? And of course, Fenton will have no answer to that. Iran's stockpiles of chemical weapons would be well more than necessary to wipe out Israel. Iran has had the power in the past to make good on its threats. It did not. Furthermore, there is no Islamic Decree against using chemical weapons of mass destruction. There is one against nuclear weapons.

    But it's ok, the muslim brotherhood are our bestest buddies in the whole wide world. Obama and Morsi sittin' in a tree...K-I-S-S-I-N-G.
    I guess it's wrong to promote Democracy in the Middle East.
    I guess it's wrong to promote the freedoms America enjoys and then actually help people get them.
    I guess it's wrong to give people the chance at self rule.

    You bring up SuxNet and seem to have all the faith in the world in a administration that cant even get military assistance to Libya within a 9 hour period to save its Ambassador.
    Everyone knows that you are exaggerating to suit your hatred. Get over it.

    Still funny you call me naive, yet you can't even explain the problem China and Japan have had over the islands.
    Still funny you call me naive, yet you don't even realize that the real threats Russia can level at us don't include a 50 year old subsonic bomber.
    Still funny you call me naive, yet you think that regimes who have spent decades never risking their necks would suddenly end their regimes for what amounts to effectively little

    Fenton, you are done and it is obvious.

    FYI: Don't even bother with your Russia comment, we both know you can't do it.

    Also, it's pretty clear you do not have the skill or knowledge to actually address what I write. If you did, you would. But clearly you cannot.
    Last edited by obvious Child; 02-16-13 at 11:44 PM.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  10. #110
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,264

    Re: Meteorite strikes, 'around 100 injured'

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Russia has nothing to gain from a war with the US or West. That of course does not dictate that their weapon capabilities aren't dangerous, but their interests are largely aligned with the West when it comes to many things, peace included. While Russia will wage some form of economic warfare, actual hot conflict is really something they'd try to avoid. And yes, Romney was off his rocker when he said the biggest threat to the US was Russia.



    So? We regularly run our Ohio classes well within range of their cities with enough nuclear firepower to turn every major Russian city into glass. Furthermore, the stealthy Virginia class lets us deploy SEAL teams directly on to foreign soil without anyone knowing. And we still have our B-2 bombers capable of dropping multimegaton warheads into the densest, most defended cities on the planet.

    Try to get some perspective for a change.



    So they're tweaking us. Besides, that doesn't even make sense. Those bombers are slow and easily taken out. If they really want to take Guam out, they'd use a submarine to a launch a nuclear tipped cruise missile. Russia is trying to get our attention, but it's hardly the real weapon they'd use. Essentially that's a one way trip for the bomber. With a submarine, the chance of an actual successful attack is much higher. Furthermore, Tupolev Tu-22M is a superior anti-US bomber than the bear is. Launching from Vladivostok, the Backfire is faster and much smaller target than the bear. And within the maximum range cruise missile, they are within range. They'd still come scary close to Kadena and the mere fact of a backfire flying would raise serious red alarms all through out the region, but that would be the aerial choice of platform, not the bear.

    Furthermore, based on ABC news, we knew about these bombers as soon as they took off from North East Russia. Japan had eyes on them with their own fighters. Bear bombers are slow, easy to track and easy to destroy. Takes lots of guts to actually get in to one of those. Bears are far more useful for standoff weapons when they have escorts, as recon and as experimental platforms: essentially the same stuff we use our B-52s for. Both the Bear and the BFF aren't really considered for front line combat.



    A P-700 has more than twice that capabilities. And can be launched from a stealthy submarine that has a much better chance at evading multiple layers of US defenses. On top of that, the extreme range of the Kh-55SM gives Anderson about 3 hours to prepare. US missile defenses aren't that good at taking out supersonic missiles, but 3 hours is plenty of time to setup missile interceptor batteries. The Granit gives Anderson about 20 minutes. It's pretty clear what they'd use if they were serious about destroying US equipment. So we have your scenario which requires bombers to get through multiple layers of defense, survive, then launch a series of missiles that will take about 3 hours to get to their target destination over sending a submarine to launch a much bigger payload per missile that goes double the speed and gives Guam only 20 minutes to actually prepare and evacuate. Conclusion: Russia is tweaking us because they can. Oh Putin, what a joker. The most direct route to hitting Guam would be to overfly one of the largest US airbases on the planet: Kadena. Yeah. Not going to happen.



    Pretty much. You seem worried about the wrong things. Besides, we really don't need that many nukes anyways.



    Is that why terrorists attacks are down after we invaded Iraq? Oh wait, they're not.



    How is that even related? China and Japan have been complaining about that for decades. Furthermore, Japan has territorial disputes with every neighbor it has. South Korea has been fighting Japan over its own set of stupid islands. Taiwan and Philippines both have their scraps with Tokyo over islands. What is causing the flare is up is the Japanese government's decision to buy the islands from its Japanese private land owners. If they had not done that, no one would be talking about this. Amusingly, the authorization was meant to reduce the problem as the Japanese government incorrectly believed that once they had purchased them, because they were now officially government property, China would back off. This has frankly nothing to do with the US and several US officials have quietly said that we will not go to war over "damn rocks."



    That has been starting since we funded the Mujahedin in Afghanistan all those years. And after Britain and France back stabbed their Arab allies after WWII. Neither have anything to do with what you are saying. In fact, our over reaction to 9/11 has directly benefited them as the cost to put it on was less than a few million and the economic damage and related debt is well into the trillions.

    You again seem worried about the wrong things.



    Neither of which will happen. China undergoing its 10 year change of power and starting a war? Not going to happen. And Independence in Taiwan is no different then it was last couple elections. Furthermore, China will take Taiwan the way it's doing now: economically. Taiwan is so tied into the Chinese economy that given enough time, Taiwan will eventually revert to PRC control. It makes no sense for the Chinese to actually fight a war over Taiwan as long as Taiwan does not openly declare independence.



    And the missile will fail epically. Furthermore, NK uses its nuclear program to legitimize its government because it frankly has nothing else. Iran and North Korea share the desire to live. Using nukes ends their regimes.



    You should read less Tom Clancy and more Foreign Policy. Iran cannot win a conventional war with Israel. And Iran knows that any nuclear first strike will instantly put the Arabs against them and see a dozen Israeli nukes fly back at them. Iran knows it cannot track the Dolphin class submarines Israel has and that have harpoon cruise missiles with nukes on them. Iran's nuclear arsenal is tiny compared to the Israelis.

    Besides, if China really wanted us dead, they'd simply just sell our bonds at a fire sale. That would seriously damage their economy, but if they were die hard enough, that would be better than starting a war.



    No, you think that because you have really no idea what you are talking about.



    Perhaps you should take off your tin foil hat. You really have no idea what you are discussing. Something tells me you seriously underestimated my knowledge on these subjects.
    Sometimes when people are trying to show how much they know, they are talking too much.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •