Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 182

Thread: Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job[W: 104, 181]

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    05-04-13 @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    790

    Re: Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Perhaps they should just be paid per diem with no benefits what so ever. This was what the first couple of congress's received. No pay for doing the peoples work. The idea was to donate a couple of years, a term or two from ones normal job, do ones civic duty and then return to your job. Not make a career out of being a member of congress. Per diem only, housing can be had at Ft. McNair or other military installations in the D.C. area. Have them meet and stay in D.C. thoughout each session without being able to return home. Work a full week, Monday through Friday, not Friday being a travel day to return to ones home district and Monday the day of return and only do you job Tuesday through Thursday. I could add and add, but you get the idea.
    Well, I actually believe there's a few problems that need to be addressed.

    First is, we need to take that money they are being paid, and give them what's left over after they're paid that median income to finance their campaigns.

    And taking any more, or anything free from ANY other source, should be a campaign finance violation that disqualifies them from office.

    And this having lawyers in the House and Senate is DEFINITELY a conflict of interest, since they are already members of the judicial branch.

    They need to forfeit their law licenses while they're serving in office, and for 7 years after, along with a ban on working for ANYONE soliciting or doing business with the government, local, state, or federal, for 7 years as well.

  2. #12
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    I don't trust the blogs, I demand full context before I condemn this remark.


    Transcript of Pelosi Press Conference Today | Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi

    Leader Pelosi. Well, as you know, that's why I don't like across‑the‑board cuts because you used one example, but there are many other examples where an across‑the‑board cut may not make the best sense. [B] Why should people who work on Capitol Hill pay that price and be treated as Members of Congress are? It's a hard question to ask me because most of my colleagues are the breadwinners in their families. A pay cut to me doesn't mean as much. [/B ] I mean, I don't think we should do it. I think we should respect the work we do. I think it's necessary for us to have the dignity of the job that we have rewarded, but [if there is] an across‑the‑board cut, there's an across‑the‑board cut, that's just the way it is.

    Mr. Van Hollen has been a leader, as Mr. Hoyer has, and others, on the impact that this will have on federal employees, including people on Capitol Hill, and I wanted to yield to him to talk about that.


  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Transcript of Pelosi Press Conference Today | Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi

    Leader Pelosi. Well, as you know, that's why I don't like across‑the‑board cuts because – you used one example, but there are many other examples where an across‑the‑board cut may not make the best sense. [B] Why should people who work on Capitol Hill pay that price and be treated as Members of Congress are? It's a hard question to ask me because most of my colleagues are the breadwinners in their families. A pay cut to me doesn't mean as much. [/B ] I mean, I don't think we should do it. I think we should respect the work we do. I think it's necessary for us to have the dignity of the job that we have rewarded, but [if there is] an across‑the‑board cut, there's an across‑the‑board cut, that's just the way it is.

    Mr. Van Hollen has been a leader, as Mr. Hoyer has, and others, on the impact that this will have on federal employees, including people on Capitol Hill, and I wanted to yield to him to talk about that.
    Thank you over much.

    You know reading this I think its very likely she was including "people who work on Capitol Hill" when talking about not wanting pay cuts, and perhaps even exclusively talking about them. Without any context I could see it including Congressmen in her statement, but given that any politician would be careful to avoid that trap I think its unlikely. The topic seemed to be federal employees.

  4. #14
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Right below Lawyers.
    You mean dog ****, don't you?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #15
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Thank you over much.

    You know reading this I think its very likely she was including "people who work on Capitol Hill" when talking about not wanting pay cuts, and perhaps even exclusively talking about them. Without any context I could see it including Congressmen in her statement, but given that any politician would be careful to avoid that trap I think its unlikely. The topic seemed to be federal employees.
    Why don't you stop faking your independent lean, you have never done anything but defend the Democrat status quo. It plainly says who she is talking about, if you would read. But I don't care, she is doing the same thing you do. Makes me want to puke.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #16
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,112

    Re: Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job

    congress should be rewarded by tying their pay, benefits, and vacation to the national average.

    it would be a real hoot to introduce the plutocrats to HMOs and earned vacation days.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,557

    Re: Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job

    And yet anytime somebody brings up the notion of term limits for these idiots the vast majority of people post how they think that's a bad idea.....

    We get the government we deserve.....

  8. #18
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,313

    Re: Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job - The Hill-


    Whiny bitch should have her entire paycheck sent to the Treasury to cover her fair share.
    She's a "keeper" isn't she ? She actually said for every food stamp dollar a 1.79 is put back into the economy.

    I use to think Shiela Jackson Lee and Pelosi were the two stupidist legislators in the Country but Pelosi's not stupid, just corrupt.

    Shiela Jackson Lee is the stupidist legislator in America.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,313

    Re: Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Thank you over much.



    You know reading this I think its very likely she was including "people who work on Capitol Hill" when talking about not wanting pay cuts, and perhaps even exclusively talking about them. Without any context I could see it including Congressmen in her statement, but given that any politician would be careful to avoid that trap I think its unlikely. The topic seemed to be federal employees.

    Well of course she's talking about staff....you have to mitigate the ignorant statements comming from the idiots who make up the Democrat party.

  10. #20
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    04-06-13 @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    570

    Re: Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Well of course she's talking about staff....you have to mitigate the ignorant statements comming from the idiots who make up the Democrat party.
    and yet, I've yet to see a Republican correctly grasp anything any Democrat ever says, always twisting it into something cynical. Of course, that is willful, and usually just following orders from FOX and Limbaugh, et al.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •