Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 182

Thread: Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job[W: 104, 181]

  1. #121
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    04-06-13 @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    570

    Re: Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Your problem is you cannot read.



    I placed the word MOST there for a reason. But you take it out and ascribe it to ALL. Lord, I know you are new here but did the board you were at before let such lazy, asinine bull**** fly?

    Your other problem is that you are taking posts and ascribing it to ME personally and equating it to my values, which you know nothing about.

    reminder:

    Call it a personal attack or call it baiting, its more or less a cheap shot.

    Learn to read and learn how to debate the posts and not take cheap shots and we can have civil conversations. Continue to do stupid crap and you can expect to be treated like crap because you are earning exactly that.

    You sound a little high strung. Maybe calm down.

    Not sure someone who uses the "f" bomb every other word should be sermonizing to others about how to have a civil conversation.

    Also not sure someone who admits he treats someone like crap should be sermonizing about civil conversations and whining about personal attacks and baiting. I thought you cons were all about personal responsibility. Now you're saying you're NOT responsible for what you say, that you are provoked??? Wow.

    Anyway, no, the meaning of your "most fact checkers are liberal, so, you know" is clear. you don't want to take responsibility for what you say, nothing anyone else can do about that. But the meaning was clear.

    And again, you didn't get the original context of the conversation correct to begin with. I simply suggested you try to do so.

    Now you're having a hissy fit. Go take a chill pill, then come back. I'll be happy to explain WHY you didn't get the context right.

  2. #122
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,719

    Re: Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job

    Quote Originally Posted by Danbury View Post
    You sound a little high strung. Maybe calm down.

    Not sure someone who uses the "f" bomb every other word should be sermonizing to others about how to have a civil conversation.

    Also not sure someone who admits he treats someone like crap should be sermonizing about civil conversations and whining about personal attacks and baiting. I thought you cons were all about personal responsibility. Now you're saying you're NOT responsible for what you say, that you are provoked??? Wow.

    Anyway, no, the meaning of your "most fact checkers are liberal, so, you know" is clear. you don't want to take responsibility for what you say, nothing anyone else can do about that. But the meaning was clear.

    And again, you didn't get the original context of the conversation correct to begin with. I simply suggested you try to do so.

    Now you're having a hissy fit. Go take a chill pill, then come back. I'll be happy to explain WHY you didn't get the context right.
    Not interested, you have twisted what I said several times so I doubt you would know the correct context if it walked up to you and kicked you in the teeth.

    I'm treating you like crap because you have twisted and lied and contorted what I said because you aren't being honest with the information thats there and reading into what you want to. Essentially lying about the content of my post when you reply to it. Be honest, read whats there, don't change the meaning of what I'm saying and we can get along just fine.

    But I don't see that happening any time soon.

    LOL this isnt posting angry. When that happens you will know.

  3. #123
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    04-06-13 @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    570

    Re: Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Not interested, you have twisted what I said several times so I doubt you would know the correct context if it walked up to you and kicked you in the teeth.

    I'm treating you like crap because you have twisted and lied and contorted what I said because you aren't being honest with the information thats there and reading into what you want to. Essentially lying about the content of my post when you reply to it. Be honest, read whats there, don't change the meaning of what I'm saying and we can get along just fine.

    But I don't see that happening any time soon.

    LOL this isnt posting angry. When that happens you will know.
    That's what I said: YOU are not responsible for your words. You're provoked into them.

    Anyway, if you are unaware of how angry you sound..kinda scary. You sound VERY angry.

    If I were to say something like, "We all know most CEOs are conservative, so, well, you know" in the context of a comment in which I'm discussing the greed of CEOs, you really wouldn't interpret that as my saying most CEOS are greedy BECAUSE they're conservative????

    Wow. you should. so, that you don't interpret your own words correctly is not my problem. Anyone who read "fact checking is not credible and most fact checkers are liberal, so you know..." absolutely interpreted it in exactly the same way I did.

    It'd be nice if those in the party of personal responsibility actually took some themselves, rather than preaching to others about the importance of doing so, once in a while.

  4. #124
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,335
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job[W: 104]

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job - The Hill-


    Whiny bitch should have her entire paycheck sent to the Treasury to cover her fair share.
    Congress should be paid subsistence and they should be subject to all the hassles we go through.

    No privileges of having free airfare.
    The same feckt up Obamakare. Including death panels.
    No golden retirement deals.
    And on and on and on...

    Congress should live lower than the US standard. AND they should be subject to the deepest ethics and IRS anal exams known to mankind.

    They are our servants. If they don't like it... get the feck outta dodge.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  5. #125
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
    Well, I actually believe there's a few problems that need to be addressed.

    First is, we need to take that money they are being paid, and give them what's left over after they're paid that median income to finance their campaigns.

    And taking any more, or anything free from ANY other source, should be a campaign finance violation that disqualifies them from office.

    And this having lawyers in the House and Senate is DEFINITELY a conflict of interest, since they are already members of the judicial branch.

    They need to forfeit their law licenses while they're serving in office, and for 7 years after, along with a ban on working for ANYONE soliciting or doing business with the government, local, state, or federal, for 7 years as well.
    I agree overall but I think when one becomes a member of the bar that it should permanently disqualify them from the Legislative Branch otherwise there would be lawyers who bite the bullet and give up their law licenses and do the due damage and after the 7 year period from their end of public service they could be getting a cushy job in compensation at some law firm or other type of business that directly deals with Congress or the Government on behalf of others.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  6. #126
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,719

    Re: Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job

    Quote Originally Posted by Danbury View Post
    That's what I said: YOU are not responsible for your words. You're provoked into them.

    Anyway, if you are unaware of how angry you sound..kinda scary. You sound VERY angry.

    If I were to say something like, "We all know most CEOs are conservative, so, well, you know" in the context of a comment in which I'm discussing the greed of CEOs, you really wouldn't interpret that as my saying most CEOS are greedy BECAUSE they're conservative????

    Wow. you should. so, that you don't interpret your own words correctly is not my problem. Anyone who read "fact checking is not credible and most fact checkers are liberal, so you know..." absolutely interpreted it in exactly the same way I did.

    It'd be nice if those in the party of personal responsibility actually took some themselves, rather than preaching to others about the importance of doing so, once in a while.
    93% of journalists voted dem or contributed as such--last POTUS election cycle. As far as I know all fact checkers are journalists, essentially peer reviewing their own material.
    "Most" would be an understatement, if anything.

    Im content to wait for you to quit playing word games to justify your illiterate responses and address the topic at hand. BTW, your response to 5 examples of inherent bias of fact checking was not substantive, if you would care to try again, do so. Dissmissal isnt a response, its a lack of one.

    PS A slim majority of CEOs happen to be conservative, "most" would fit, but greedy suggests an emotive connotation that is essentially a smear, I wonder how the liberals in that group feel about that. Our conversation was about bias and how it affects fact checking, greed is not indicative of one party or the other. A big logic fail is inherent in your argument, try again.

  7. #127
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    04-06-13 @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    570

    Re: Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    93% of journalists voted dem or contributed as such--last POTUS election cycle. As far as I know all fact checkers are journalists, essentially peer reviewing their own material.
    "Most" would be an understatement, if anything.

    Im content to wait for you to quit playing word games to justify your illiterate responses and address the topic at hand. BTW, your response to 5 examples of inherent bias of fact checking was not substantive, if you would care to try again, do so. Dissmissal isnt a response, its a lack of one.

    PS A slim majority of CEOs happen to be conservative, "most" would fit, but greedy suggests an emotive connotation that is essentially a smear, I wonder how the liberals in that group feel about that. Our conversation was about bias and how it affects fact checking, greed is not indicative of one party or the other. A big logic fail is inherent in your argument, try again.
    1) for the umpteenth time, inform yourself as to what the conversation was before you posted your comment. You have yet to do that. Until you do, your comments are irrelevant because they are out of context;

    2) I'm assuming most doctors have libidos too. Are you suggesting they all molest their patients??? (Lemme guess, you don't get it. Sigh);

    3) "Greed" is not an emotive thing. It's a real thing. what IS emotive is ascribing lack of professionalism to an entire profession because MOST in that profession personally lean one way politically;

    4) Also for the umpteenth time, your comment was, "...most fact-checkers are liberals, so, well, you know..." Are you seriously the only person on this board who can't correctly interpret your own comments and their intent??

    Anyway, "most fact checkers are liberal" inherently implies that "most fact checkers are NOT conservative", concluding that fact-checking is a liberal domain. I would happen to agree with that. The "We create reality now" crowd has no need for facts, not when they've got a constituency signing loyalty oaths, pols themselves making promises not to the Constitution but to Grover Norquist, and who gleefully parrot whatever they are told to by Limbaugh, et al, hence the term "Dittoheads."

  8. #128
    Professor
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-08-13 @ 08:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,482

    Re: Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job

    Danbury stop regurgitating the liberal pablum. You've never listened to Rush Limbaugh.

  9. #129
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,255

    Re: Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Maybe congress should be payed the average wage in America. A fundamental change in philosophy has occurred over time. Congress was created and exists to serve the people and represent their constituents, not for the people to serve them. It should be a humble position, not a dignified one.
    Minimum wage.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #130
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,719

    Re: Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job

    Quote Originally Posted by Danbury View Post
    1) for the umpteenth time, inform yourself as to what the conversation was before you posted your comment. You have yet to do that. Until you do, your comments are irrelevant because they are out of context;

    2) I'm assuming most doctors have libidos too. Are you suggesting they all molest their patients??? (Lemme guess, you don't get it. Sigh);

    3) "Greed" is not an emotive thing. It's a real thing. what IS emotive is ascribing lack of professionalism to an entire profession because MOST in that profession personally lean one way politically;

    4) Also for the umpteenth time, your comment was, "...most fact-checkers are liberals, so, well, you know..." Are you seriously the only person on this board who can't correctly interpret your own comments and their intent??

    Anyway, "most fact checkers are liberal" inherently implies that "most fact checkers are NOT conservative", concluding that fact-checking is a liberal domain. I would happen to agree with that. The "We create reality now" crowd has no need for facts, not when they've got a constituency signing loyalty oaths, pols themselves making promises not to the Constitution but to Grover Norquist, and who gleefully parrot whatever they are told to by Limbaugh, et al, hence the term "Dittoheads."
    1. The context with fact checkers is what it always is, someone uses them as a source beyond reproach. I reject that approach and I showed why.

    2. You are drawing the widest possible context to defend your poor reasoning. Its not convincing.

    3. Greed, as a descriptive term is used to derive an emotional response, its an objective term not a subjective one. What isnt emotive is ascribing a lack of professionalism to an entire profession because they demonstrate that lack through bias very publicly and quite often---then deny it exists also very publicly. The majority of the media industry isnt being nuetral anymore, they root for one side or the other. Whether the media is biased or not is a bone of contention around here but Im damn sure not going to put up with your faulty reasoning without any backup other than cause you say so. I provided reasons why I think fact checking isnt any more reliable than the stories theselves---you need to reach decisions and conclusions on your own from a variet of sources.

    4. The only person interpretting what I said that way is YOU.

    As for the verbal garbage at the end, it has nothing to do with true or false it has to do with the political leanings of journalists in general. Most journalists are liberal, most fact checkers are journalists. You are applying faulty reasoning to draw a conclusion that speaks to your huge confirmation bias and lean more than it does anything Im saying. Not to mention all the Grover Norquist, Rush Limbaugh, loyalty oath bull****...you are past confirmation bias and into buying your own propaganda. You seriously need to learn to think for yourself, stay on topic, and leave the factually challenged rants at the door.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •