Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 159

Thread: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

  1. #1
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:56 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,970

    Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks | Environment | guardian.co.uk

    Conservative billionaires used a secretive funding route to channel nearly $120m (£77m) to more than 100 groups casting doubt about the science behind climate change, the Guardian has learned.

    The funds, doled out between 2002 and 2010, helped build a vast network of thinktanks and activist groups working to a single purpose: to redefine climate change from neutral scientific fact to a highly polarising "wedge issue" for hardcore conservatives.

    The millions were routed through two trusts, Donors Trust and the Donors Capital Fund, operating out of a generic town house in the northern Virginia suburbs of Washington DC. Donors Capital caters to those making donations of $1m or more.

    "We exist to help donors promote liberty which we understand to be limited government, personal responsibility, and free enterprise," she said in an interview.

    The ready stream of cash set off a conservative backlash against Barack Obama's environmental agenda that wrecked any chance of Congress taking action on climate change.

    "These groups are increasingly getting money from sources that are anonymous or untraceable. There is no transparency, no accountability for the money. There is no way to tell who is funding them," Davies said.
    Cat's out of the bag. The funding demonstrates that the conservative agenda is not about actual science, but preserving their business model.

    And although these think tanks have influence over government, the people donating to them can remain anonymous. Clandestined financial cabals such as these are the reason why democracy is threatened in most of the western world. They can use their massive fortunes to sway government without the public ever knowing who they are.

    As a democratic people, we must stand up and insist our government create legal reforms that prevent lobbying on this massive scale.

  2. #2
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #3
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,692
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks | Environment | guardian.co.uk



    Cat's out of the bag. The funding demonstrates that the conservative agenda is not about actual science, but preserving their business model.

    And although these think tanks have influence over government, the people donating to them can remain anonymous. Clandestined financial cabals such as these are the reason why democracy is threatened in most of the western world. They can use their massive fortunes to sway government without the public ever knowing who they are.

    As a democratic people, we must stand up and insist our government create legal reforms that prevent lobbying on this massive scale.
    Would you say the IPCC is an unbiased/apolitical source for global climate trends?
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  4. #4
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,165

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    and this comes in from the other direction:
    GAO report: Obama acting too slowly on climate change
    GAO report: Obama acting too slowly on climate change | The Raw Story
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  5. #5
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,692
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    Would you say the IPCC is an unbiased/apolitical source for global climate trends?
    The reason I ask is because the IPCC was caught using false data. While you claim that these organizations are biased, you don't provide any instances of false data.

    BREAKING NEWS: scientist admits IPCC used fake data to pressure policy makers | Watts Up With That?
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  6. #6
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    The reason I ask is because the IPCC was caught using false data. While you claim that these organizations are biased, you don't provide any instances of false data.

    BREAKING NEWS: scientist admits IPCC used fake data to pressure policy makers | Watts Up With That?
    Anthony Watts:

    Anthony Watts (blogger) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The Heartland Institute published Watts' initial report on weather station data, titled Is the U.S. Surface Temperature Record Reliable?[11]

    Watts has been featured as a speaker at Heartland Institute's International Conference on Climate Change, for which he acknowledges receiving payment.[48]

    Documents obtained from the Heartland Institute and made public in February 2012 reveal that the Institute had agreed to help Watts raise $88,000 to set up a website, "devoted to accessing the new temperature data from NOAA's web site and converting them into easy-to-understand graphs that can be easily found and understood by weathermen and the general interested public."[49][50][51] The documents state that $44,000 had already been pledged by an anonymous donor, and the Institute would seek to raise the rest.[48]

    Watts explained the funding by stating, "Heartland simply helped me find a donor for funding a special project having to do with presenting some new NOAA surface data in a public friendly graphical form, something NOAA themselves is not doing, but should be. I approached them in the fall of 2011 asking for help, on this project not the other way around."[52][53] and added, "They do not regularly fund me nor my WUWT website, I take no salary from them of any kind."[52][54]
    The Heartland Institute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The Heartland Institute is an American conservative and libertarian[2] public policy think tank based in Chicago, which advocates free market policies.[3][4][5][6] The Institute is designated as a 501(c)(3) non-profit by the Internal Revenue Service and has a full-time staff of 40, including editors and senior fellows.[7] The Institute was founded in 1984 and conducts research and advocacy work on issues including government spending, taxation, healthcare, tobacco policy, hydraulic fracturing[8] global warming, information technology, and free-market environmentalism.
    Lol... you supported his case by using a source who's been proven to do exactly as his case states. Failure of a magnitude 7.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #7
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,692
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Anthony Watts:

    Anthony Watts (blogger) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia



    The Heartland Institute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia



    Lol... you supported his case by using a source who's been proven to do exactly as his case states. Failure of a magnitude 7.
    But the confession came from within IPCC. My point is, both sides are politicized.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  8. #8
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks | Environment | guardian.co.uk



    Cat's out of the bag. The funding demonstrates that the conservative agenda is not about actual science, but preserving their business model.

    And although these think tanks have influence over government, the people donating to them can remain anonymous. Clandestined financial cabals such as these are the reason why democracy is threatened in most of the western world. They can use their massive fortunes to sway government without the public ever knowing who they are.

    As a democratic people, we must stand up and insist our government create legal reforms that prevent lobbying on this massive scale.
    Okay Let's begin with the democrats putting in safeguards that prevent anonymous/fake name contributions from overseas to their campaigns..........

  9. #9
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,324

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Lol..."climate change".

    Sorry the Libs didn't get to impose another arbitrary and capricious tax to fix.....nothing.

    Conservatives saw Al Gore's computer generated lies and immediately were aware of a scam on a international basis.

    As Gore made hundreds of millions off the scam of carbon trading and the primary scientific associations that were funded by LIBERAL DEMOCRATS fudged data we knew all along that it was just another scare tactic and money grab by the Democrats.

    Green energy.....what a joke.

    Germany built a solar power plant that can generate 2.2 Gigawatts of power.

    Germans pay an extra 10% on their utillity bills for the upkeep of a power plant that delivers 5% of their total capacity.

  10. #10
    Professor
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-08-13 @ 08:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,482

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    I always have a critical logic and well common sense challenge with OP's like this. If it's really "secret" and everyone knows about it, they aren't very good at what they do are they?

    A few other, well, elementary school level questions. When we can't predict tomorrow's weather, how, when the earth is billions of years old and we have 150 years of recorded data, are we able to predict future weather? So many people claim global warm.....er.....wait now it's climate chang......er....no now it's anthropogenic global climate change, is "scientific" and if you don't buy the (Uncle Joe's fav word) mularkey they offer you are a "science denier", yet those same people accept "consensus". How is this rationalized?? Please explain to me, using "scientific" principles (btw for the low information voters here, "consensus" is antithetical to "science"), how having the conclusion prior to even forming a hypothesis, let alone using ALL data available and not just seven trees that support your pre drawn conclusion, how you expect to be credible. What caused the end of the last ice age? How much CO2 was emitted during the eruption of Mount Vesuvius?

    <scratching head>
    Last edited by Oceandan; 02-15-13 at 11:50 AM.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •