Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 159

Thread: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

  1. #21
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,070

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpetty View Post
    Oh no, im boring you?
    No, reading is key here: Your argument is boring me. It's absurdly simplistic to anyone who has even the slightest definition of what 'climatology' actually means. It's stupid to anyone with a layman's knowledge of what 'climate change' is. Finally, it's discarded as 'retarded' by most climate scientists who are not on the payroll of an oil company. Now, your strawman arguments aside, do you know what a heat trapping gas is, yes or no?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    When I examine conflicting opinions on an issue I look at the consensus of the experts and I look at who funds the opposing sides. That is why I give more credence to what 95% of the scientists say, and do not trust the opinions of those who are funded by interests that oppose regulations (i.e the oil and coal industries).

  3. #23
    Educator Dpetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-05-17 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    967

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    No, reading is key here: Your argument is boring me. It's absurdly simplistic to anyone who has even the slightest definition of what 'climatology' actually means. It's stupid to anyone with a layman's knowledge of what 'climate change' is. Finally, it's discarded as 'retarded' by most climate scientists who are not on the payroll of an oil company. Now, your strawman arguments aside, do you know what a heat trapping gas is, yes or no?
    Yes i know what heat trapping gas is, and i also know that we didnt invent it. I know that we can turn off every source of man made heat trapping gas, and will not eliminate it from our atmosphere. You call my argument simplistic and the only thing you can reply to is that your bored. Big deal. Climate change is as natural as natural selection. For all you know, the earth would benefit from a few extra degrees. Speaking of strawman arguments (a fallback argument) lets hear what you have to say next. Another rehash no doubt.

  4. #24
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:47 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,968

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    They are both political agendas, which is why I support both existing, without paranoid rhetoric.
    Of course both can exist. That's freedom of speech. I'm referring to which should be given more weight, which is obviously wherever the science rings true. Environmental protections are necessary for public health and to ensure that everything isn't destroyed. The right-wing think tanks exist to ensure that big businesses don't have to change and can continue with their destructive profit model. They pump out study after study to try and contradict the science, all funded by the oil industry and other business lobbies; next to none of their "studies" achieve peer review, but that doesn't matter because they can still spin it in the media.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    When we stop conflating "good for present and future generations" with being against moneyed interests.
    Then we are in disagreement. Corporate lobbying is one of the biggest threats to our democratic way of life. It doesn't matter which party you look at, they are all getting their pockets lined with political donations. But let's call them what they actually are: bribes. How can every-day activism compete with companies that have the wealth of nations under their belt? It's out of control.

    For the record I don't support huge lobbying from leftist environmental groups OR right wing industry groups. The government should be determining its support based on what is best for the nation as a whole and scientific assessment, not who is giving them the most bribes.

    I just happen to be on the side of environmentalism because the peer reviewed science is overwhelmingly indicative that if we don't change our economic model, there are going to be serious consequences for future generations, as well as other species on this planet. Our path is not sustainable, and our government's ability to make clear decisions based on this fact should not be obstructed by bribery.

  5. #25
    Professor
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-08-13 @ 08:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,482

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You don't know the difference between a METEOROLOGIST and a CLIMATOLOGIST. For that matter, you don't seem to actually know what they study. Your question is kind of like confusing a BIOLOGIST with an ARCHEOLOGIST. Climatologists, don't predict the weather. They study weather conditions over a period of time. Climatology is based upon the empirical findings of Earth sciences like oceanography. Meteorologists in their own right don't 'predict' the weather either. That's what you could argue 'weathermen' do. Meteorology studies the ATMOSPHERE. This is so basic, it's almost ridiculous that I have to explain it. If you don't even know the differences between different sciences and what the sciences actually study, not what you think they do why not just go to your closest dictionary and look them up?

    Information is key.
    LOL See what I mean. Ask a question, the low information voters tell you, you don't even know the difference between a meteorologist and a climatologist! Uhm, Hatuey, we're talking about weather. Now you can claim in your ignorance, climatologists study climate. Do they have access to more information than's recorded? How long have climatologists been studying climate? What information are they using? I don't care what you call them, but that's the thing about liberals, they just keep making up terms. The climate is the weather. Your argument is a strawman. It's a HOAX! There is NO anthropogenic affect on the weather. No amount of "consensus" amongst your made up "scientists" will change same.

    Btw....answer for me please how much carbon dioxide was released into the atmosphere when Mount Vesuvius erupted as compared to amounts released since the start of "the industrial age".

  6. #26
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,070

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpetty View Post
    Yes i know what heat trapping gas is, and i also know that we didnt invent it. I know that we can turn off every source of man made heat trapping gas, and will not eliminate it from our atmosphere. You call my argument simplistic and the only thing you can reply to is that your bored. Big deal. Climate change is as natural as natural selection. For all you know, the earth would benefit from a few extra degrees. Speaking of strawman arguments (a fallback argument) lets hear what you have to say next. Another rehash no doubt.
    Nonsense arguments aside:

    Climate Change: Causes

    The industrial activities that our modern civilization depends upon have raised atmospheric carbon dioxide levels from 280 parts per million to 379 parts per million in the last 150 years. The panel also concluded there's a better than 90 percent probability that human-produced greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide have caused much of the observed increase in Earth's temperatures over the past 50 years.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #27
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,070

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Oceandan View Post
    LOL See what I mean. Ask a question, the low information voters tell you, you don't even know the difference between a meteorologist and a climatologist! Uhm, Hatuey, we're talking about weather.
    Actually, you don't know the difference between a meteorologist and a weatherman. You made that painfully obvious from the get-go. Meteorologists don't predict the weather. That's what weathermen do.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #28
    Professor
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-08-13 @ 08:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,482

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Actually, you don't know the difference between a meteorologist and a weatherman. You made that painfully obvious from the get-go. Meteorologists don't predict the weather. That's what weathermen do.
    Challenge for you. Btw, you still haven't answered the question. Of course you liberals never do, off to distractions. Here's your challenge define "climatologist" without using the word "weather". Oh and call every news station in America and tell them to fire all the meteorologists because they only need "weathermen".

    I never have figured out how liberals can avoid the convoluted illogical webs they spin. Then again, they're liberal.

  9. #29
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    04-06-13 @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    570

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Oceandan View Post
    Challenge for you. Btw, you still haven't answered the question. Of course you liberals never do, off to distractions. Here's your challenge define "climatologist" without using the word "weather". Oh and call every news station in America and tell them to fire all the meteorologists because they only need "weathermen".

    I never have figured out how liberals can avoid the convoluted illogical webs they spin. Then again, they're liberal.
    Liberals never answer questions??? How do you come to that conclusion? and if you come to a conclusion that "liberals never answer questions", how do you then go on to accuse liberals of illogic?

    THAT is illogical, ironically enough.

    And is making a topic about liberals this and that going "off to distraction"???

  10. #30
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post

    That's unfair. Obama is shutting down what little is left of American manufacturing as fast as he can.
    He can't just turn over our entire economy to other countries overnight you know.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •