Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 159

Thread: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

  1. #11
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,264

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    I knew, just knew that tanks would be involved. The NRA is behind this. This is way, way more than just another conspiracy theory.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,025

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    But the confession came from within IPCC. My point is, both sides are politicized.
    NASA is not in it for the politics. Here is how the situation pans out in the case global warming isn't happening:

    1. Global warming is not happening: We just end up taking measures which not only clear the air of pollution but also provide cleaner working environments for human beings, healthier ecosystems, etc.

    2. Global warming isn't happening: We just keep dumping toxic waste into waterways, polluting the air, filling the earth up with garbage, destroying ecosystems.

    If it's not happening and we take the wrong option, we still lose.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 02-15-13 at 01:01 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #13
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,689

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post

    As a democratic people, we must stand up and insist our government create legal reforms that prevent lobbying on this massive scale.
    Why? If there is a large number of forward-thinking progressive eco-friendly think tanks getting large flows of cash to promote an agenda they find sensible, why can't the other side do just the same?
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  4. #14
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,965

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Why? If there is a large number of forward-thinking progressive eco-friendly think tanks getting large flows of cash to promote an agenda they find sensible, why can't the other side do just the same?
    Because one side is based on real science and the other side is pumping out pseudoscience to support a political agenda.

    When is what's good for present and future generations going to take precedence over what multinational corporations want?

  5. #15
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,689

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    Because one side is based on real science and the other side is pumping out pseudoscience to support a political agenda.

    When is what's good for present and future generations going to take precedence over what multinational corporations want?
    They are both political agendas, which is why I support both existing, without paranoid rhetoric.

    When is what's good for present and future generations going to take precedence over what multinational corporations want?
    When we stop conflating "good for present and future generations" with being against moneyed interests.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  6. #16
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,025

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Oceandan View Post
    A few other, well, elementary school level questions. When we can't predict tomorrow's weather, how, when the earth is billions of years old and we have 150 years of recorded data, are we able to predict future weather?
    You don't know the difference between a METEOROLOGIST and a CLIMATOLOGIST. For that matter, you don't seem to actually know what they study. Your question is kind of like confusing a BIOLOGIST with an ARCHEOLOGIST. Climatologists, don't predict the weather. They study weather conditions over a period of time. Climatology is based upon the empirical findings of Earth sciences like oceanography. Meteorologists in their own right don't 'predict' the weather either. That's what you could argue 'weathermen' do. Meteorology studies the ATMOSPHERE. This is so basic, it's almost ridiculous that I have to explain it. If you don't even know the differences between different sciences and what the sciences actually study, not what you think they do why not just go to your closest dictionary and look them up?

    Information is key.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 02-17-13 at 04:37 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #17
    Educator Dpetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-05-17 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    967

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks | Environment | guardian.co.uk



    Cat's out of the bag. The funding demonstrates that the conservative agenda is not about actual science, but preserving their business model.

    And although these think tanks have influence over government, the people donating to them can remain anonymous. Clandestined financial cabals such as these are the reason why democracy is threatened in most of the western world. They can use their massive fortunes to sway government without the public ever knowing who they are.

    As a democratic people, we must stand up and insist our government create legal reforms that prevent lobbying on this massive scale.
    But the people who are trying to prove climate change is man made get funding too right? Does that make them any different than these people who are getting funding to prove that its not man made? I fail to see how getting funding to do research automatically proves the thing they are researching is wrong...

  8. #18
    Educator Dpetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-05-17 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    967

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You don't know the difference between a METEOROLOGIST and a CLIMATOLOGIST. For that matter, you don't seem to actually know what they study. Your question is kind of like confusing a BIOLOGIST with an ARCHEOLOGIST. Climatologists, don't predict the weather. They study weather conditions over a period of time. Climatology is based upon the empirical findings of Earth sciences like oceanography. Meteorologists in their own right don't 'predict' the weather either. That's what you could argue 'weathermen' do. Meteorology studies the ATMOSPHERE. This is so basic, it's almost ridiculous that I have to explain it. If you don't even know the differences between different sciences and what the sciences actually study, not what you think they do why not just go to your closest dictionary and look them up?

    Information is key.
    If Climatologists have learned ANYTHING, its that the earth is in a constant state of flux. There is not period that the earth has existed that it has not been moving from one extreme to the other. This time is no exception. What kind of grand hallucination are we living in, that we think our very existence would stop the earth from changing. You expect that even though the earth has seen so many changes in climate, that since we can measure a few degrees difference and the sea level doesn’t remain constant, then its because of us. Wow you must have a really over inflated sense of self importance if you think you have that kind of power.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,025

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpetty View Post
    If Climatologists have learned ANYTHING, its that the earth is in a constant state of flux. There is not period that the earth has existed that it has not been moving from one extreme to the other. This time is no exception. What kind of grand hallucination are we living in, that we think our very existence would stop the earth from changing. You expect that even though the earth has seen so many changes in climate, that since we can measure a few degrees difference and the sea level doesn’t remain constant, then its because of us. Wow you must have a really over inflated sense of self importance if you think you have that kind of power.
    Your little pea in a giant bowl argument is boring me. It's not up for questioning that man is having an impact on the environment. All you have to do is look at the impact a city has on surrounding areas. Ruined waterways, entire ecosystems disappeared, sterile animal species etc. Now, please look up what 'climate studies' actually maintain being the reason for 'sea levels changing' or whatever other simplistic interpretation of the icecaps melting you have. You'll see that the reasons actually stated don't say nonsense like 'Man is doing it!' - Do you know what a heat trapping gas is?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #20
    Educator Dpetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-05-17 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    967

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Your little pea in a giant bowl argument is boring me. It's not up for questioning that man is having an impact on the environment. All you have to do is look at the impact a city has on surrounding areas. Ruined waterways, entire ecosystems disappeared, sterile animal species etc. Now, please look up what 'climate studies' actually maintain being the reason for 'sea levels changing' or whatever other simplistic interpretation of the icecaps melting you have. You'll see that the reasons actually stated don't say nonsense like 'Man is doing it!' - Do you know what a heat trapping gas is?
    Oh no, im boring you? Watch out everybody, Hatuey is getting bored!!!!! I never said man doesn’t have an effect on the ecosystem, but your comparing a ruined waterway, to global warming. You build a city, you remove the ecosystem that existed in its place, you cant always have both unless your advocating we live in trees. I know what "climate studies" attribute to rising sea levels, but they also attribute the same thing to the dwindling polar bear numbers, which as it turns out, aren’t dwindling at all. Its not realistic to think we can exist in our environment without causing a change in it. Our very existence dictates that! That doesn’t mean that every change our environment experiences is our fault, or that it wouldn’t happen with or without us.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •