Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
Results 151 to 159 of 159

Thread: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

  1. #151
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,572
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks | Environment | guardian.co.uk



    Cat's out of the bag. The funding demonstrates that the conservative agenda is not about actual science, but preserving their business model.

    And although these think tanks have influence over government, the people donating to them can remain anonymous. Clandestined financial cabals such as these are the reason why democracy is threatened in most of the western world. They can use their massive fortunes to sway government without the public ever knowing who they are.

    As a democratic people, we must stand up and insist our government create legal reforms that prevent lobbying on this massive scale.
    120 million doesn't even begin to compare with the billions in funding that institutions and scientists get for toeing the anthropogenic global warming party line.

    Besides which, these organizations appear to be generic conservative advocacy groups. The money would be to support ALL of the conservative agenda of which climate science is one, probably fairly small, part.

    Global warming fell apart as an issue not because of some conspiracy but because it was obviously an intellectually bankrupt enterprise that was torn apart by its own contradictions and falsehoods and by the excesses, distortions, and exaggerations of its advocates. No one is going to commit serious money to it now. It's dead as a driver of major policy change.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  2. #152
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    120 million doesn't even begin to compare with the billions in funding that institutions and scientists get for toeing the anthropogenic global warming party line.

    Besides which, these organizations appear to be generic conservative advocacy groups. The money would be to support ALL of the conservative agenda of which climate science is one, probably fairly small, part.

    Global warming fell apart as an issue not because of some conspiracy but because it was obviously an intellectually bankrupt enterprise that was torn apart by its own contradictions and falsehoods and by the excesses, distortions, and exaggerations of its advocates. No one is going to commit serious money to it now. It's dead as a driver of major policy change.
    It's not an issue that will go away. Because eventually science wins.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #153
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,572
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    It's not an issue that will go away. Because eventually science wins.
    Yes, and that's exactly what we are seeing here. Science finally won out.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  4. #154
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Yes, and that's exactly what we are seeing here. Science finally won out.
    Then where is the proof of it all? What definitively demonstrates humans do not substantially influence climate? Why does research continue?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #155
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,572
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Then where is the proof of it all? What definitively demonstrates humans do not substantially influence climate? Why does research continue?
    The relevant questions are 1) do we know how to predict the climate for years into the future? 2) Do we know how man's activities will affect the future climate?

    The answers are no and no. Efforts to predict future climate have failed. Earlier predictions by the IPCC were wrong in almost every respect. Not just in global temperatures but in the frequency and severity of major storms and other extreme weather events and especially regional changes in the weather. The reasons for the failure are not known, meaning that the effect of perturbations in the climate can't be predicted. Therefore it's not possible at this time to come up with a policy to address problems with the climate in the future.

    We are better off adjusting to any changes in the climate if they happen at all, rather than coming up with a policy to address predictions that will likely be wrong.

    In the meantime, research goes on in the hopes of being able to do better with forecasting, among other things.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  6. #156
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    The relevant questions are 1) do we know how to predict the climate for years into the future? 2) Do we know how man's activities will affect the future climate?

    The answers are no and no. Efforts to predict future climate have failed. Earlier predictions by the IPCC were wrong in almost every respect. Not just in global temperatures but in the frequency and severity of major storms and other extreme weather events and especially regional changes in the weather. The reasons for the failure are not known, meaning that the effect of perturbations in the climate can't be predicted. Therefore it's not possible at this time to come up with a policy to address problems with the climate in the future.

    We are better off adjusting to any changes in the climate if they happen at all, rather than coming up with a policy to address predictions that will likely be wrong.

    In the meantime, research goes on in the hopes of being able to do better with forecasting, among other things.
    Ok, so your argument isn't "they are wrong," it's "we don't know."
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #157
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,572
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Ok, so your argument isn't "they are wrong," it's "we don't know."
    That's correct. But the advocates are wrong to claim that they know. Serious scientists will admit that there's a lot they don't know.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  8. #158
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    That's correct. But the advocates are wrong to claim that they know. Serious scientists will admit that there's a lot they don't know.
    And they do. Uncertainties are discussed constantly. Which is why you should read the actual scientific literature instead of what bloggers and tabloids tell you about the scientific literature. And you definitely shouldn't listen to politicians and spokesmen.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #159
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    http://www.tipsforgettingpregnant.info
    Last Seen
    03-21-13 @ 10:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1

    Re: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks

    It is so pathetic that conservative agenda has been an business model instead of actual science, isn't it?

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •