Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 75

Thread: Senate Republicans block Hagel nomination after Democrats force vote

  1. #31
    Professor
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-08-13 @ 08:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,482

    Re: Senate Republicans block Hagel nomination after Democrats force vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    The republicans should stop putting their party desires over the good of the American people and confirm the nomination of a guy simply because he was a member of their party.

    .....
    Actually, doesn't this indicate the "non democrat" party is putting the good of the American people above party? I mean if the candidate is NOT a good one why would you confirm them simply because of past party affiliation?

    Oh wait, I keep forgetting, in this day and age you vote based on skin color and party affiliation not for actual competent candidates. My bad.

  2. #32
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Senate Republicans block Hagel nomination after Democrats force vote

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    Dang, John. That was great. I'm still laughing.
    Mission accomplished - glad to help

  3. #33
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,295

    Re: Senate Republicans block Hagel nomination after Democrats force vote


  4. #34
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,174

    Re: Senate Republicans block Hagel nomination after Democrats force vote

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    It's only ironic if you think a political party should always support those who claim to be a member of the party regardless of what they do - that would, ironically, make you a Democrat.

    If Obama nominates someone else, equally unacceptible, I would expect a similar reaction.
    It's ironic because it's the sort of thing that usually happens in Washington. Right vs. Wrong is usually not as important as Republican vs. Democrat.

    It's ironic because the very Liberal John Kerry breezed through to Secretary of State with no issue, and now the much less Liberal Chuck Hagel is a problem.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  5. #35
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,295

    Re: Senate Republicans block Hagel nomination after Democrats force vote

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say here - Republicans did, in fact, put country over party by refusing to support a man who during his confirmation hearing looked like he was high on several drugs and couldn't put two coherent words together - the only one playing politics here is Obama.
    My guess is that Z was pointing out self-contradictory reasoning.

  6. #36
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Senate Republicans block Hagel nomination after Democrats force vote

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    It's ironic because it's the sort of thing that usually happens in Washington. Right vs. Wrong is usually not as important as Republican vs. Democrat.

    It's ironic because the very Liberal John Kerry breezed through to Secretary of State with no issue, and now the much less Liberal Chuck Hagel is a problem.
    But you claim the second move betrays a Republican party more interested in party than country - that makes no sense - what the two show is a Republican party prepared to accept the President's nominee when that person is competent and credible in the proposed job, regardless of party affiliation.

  7. #37
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Senate Republicans block Hagel nomination after Democrats force vote

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    My guess is that Z was pointing out self-contradictory reasoning.
    Good morning bubba - nice to see you again - thanks for the morning laugh, much appreciated.

  8. #38
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Senate Republicans block Hagel nomination after Democrats force vote

    Hagel should be blocked until it is determined that he is absolutely forthcoming with his speeches, comments, and other indicators that to date have suggested that he is not only being dishonest with confirmation investigating committees, but also in that he would be competent in the job...So far that is not the case...

    WASHINGTON – A Senate committee has postponed a vote on former Sen. Chuck Hagel's nomination to be defense secretary after Republicans accused him of withholding financial disclosure information from his time in the Senate.

    Read more: Senate panel postpones vote on Hagel nomination as GOP demands more info | Fox News

    The Hearing Did Little To Alleviate Concerns Over Whether Hagel “Has The Conviction And Knowledge To Protect U.S. Security Amid Growing World Turmoil And With A White House Bent On Cutting U.S. Defenses.” “The biggest question hanging over Chuck Hagel’s nomination to lead the Pentagon is whether he has the conviction and knowledge to protect U.S. security amid growing world turmoil and with a White House bent on cutting U.S. defenses. His confirmation hearing on Thursday was hardly reassuring.” (Editorial, “The Hagelian Method,” The Wall Street Journal, 1/31/13)
    New York Magazine‘s Jonathan Chait: “The Hearings Cemented A Buffoonish Image Hagel Will Probably Never Shake And Destroyed Whatever Value-Over-Replacement He Could Have Brought As An Advocate Of Obama’s Agenda.” (Jonathan Chait, “Whose Terrible Idea Was It to Nominate Hagel, Anyway?” New York Magazine, 2/1/13)
    Chait: “The Hagel Nomination Has Been A Fiasco.” “As it turned out, the Hagel nomination has been a fiasco. (Clemons’s chins-up take that Hagel ‘met expectations’ is the most optimism any Hagel backers can muster.) It turns out there were reasons beyond the nefarious power of the Israel Lobby or the inexplicable timidity of the Democratic foreign-policy establishment not to nominate Chuck Hagel.” (Jonathan Chait, “Whose Terrible Idea Was It to Nominate Hagel, Anyway?” New York Magazine, 2/1/13)
    Former Obama Adviser Robert Gibbs Called Hagel “Unimpressive And Unprepared.” ROBERT GIBBS: “Let’s split this into two buckets. So there were the totally superfluous questions that quite frankly, again, not gonna bear in big measure on what the next defense secretary does. The disconcerting thing obviously for anybody to watch, he seemed unimpressive and unprepared on the questions that quite frankly he knew was coming.” (NBC’s “Meet The Press,” 2/3/13)


    The Hagel Fiasco - GOP
    Why should the GOP vote to confirm anyone who is deceptive, or incompetent? Because libs think they should?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #39
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,295

    Re: Senate Republicans block Hagel nomination after Democrats force vote

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    It's ironic because it's the sort of thing that usually happens in Washington. Right vs. Wrong is usually not as important as Republican vs. Democrat.

    It's ironic because the very Liberal John Kerry breezed through to Secretary of State with no issue, and now the much less Liberal Chuck Hagel is a problem.
    Kerry is a big time lefty, all right, but he doesn't have Hagel's heavy baggage, he's not thought of as, um, volatile, and he didn't implode in his own hearing.

  10. #40
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,295

    Re: Senate Republicans block Hagel nomination after Democrats force vote

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Good morning bubba - nice to see you again - thanks for the morning laugh, much appreciated.
    ... mornin' CJ.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •