Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Cruise ship "dead in the water" after towline breaks

  1. #1
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,121

    Cruise ship "dead in the water" after towline breaks

    A Coast Guard official says a disabled cruise ship is stopped off the coast of Alabama because of a broken towline attached to one of the boats towing the vessel.

    Cruise ship "dead in the water" after towline breaks - CBS News
    and you thought your week was bad.

    i hope the movie rights to this story make up for the money Carnival is going to lose in lawsuits.

  2. #2
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,305

    Re: Cruise ship "dead in the water" after towline breaks

    For that and other reasons, I do not do cruise ships.

    I feel sorry for the poor folks on that ship.

  3. #3
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Cruise ship "dead in the water" after towline breaks

    I've probably been on four cruises, and never had a problem. Did you know that Carnival owns many of the other big cruise lines under other names? Last I heard this afternoon it would be another 8 hours to dock.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #4
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Cruise ship "dead in the water" after towline breaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    and you thought your week was bad.

    i hope the movie rights to this story make up for the money Carnival is going to lose in lawsuits.
    Why is that the first thing people think of? Lawsuits? If your airplane has mechanical difficulties and sets down short of its destination, that's not lawsuit worthy. What makes you assume this is? **** happens.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #5
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,321

    Re: Cruise ship "dead in the water" after towline breaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    and you thought your week was bad.


    i hope the movie rights to this story make up for the money Carnival is going to lose in lawsuits.
    I was thinking about taking a cruise when I got older but now , never.

  6. #6
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Cruise ship "dead in the water" after towline breaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    and you thought your week was bad.

    i hope the movie rights to this story make up for the money Carnival is going to lose in lawsuits.
    I think what the passengers will get is:

    -A full refund for this cruise
    -Credit for any Carnival cruise in the future
    -$1,000 cash

    What a lot of people don't realize if the "US Cruise lines" immune themselves from lawsuits in American courts by making sweetheart deals with certain third world countries. The ships operate in international waters so they're outside of American legal jurisdiction. However the ship needs to have a "home port" so they pick a ship friendly third world country. The third world country is happy because they get much needed revenue to operate the government as that's where the cruise ship pays its taxes. In exchange, the government of that country enacts laws that limit liability on the cruise ship.

    If a serious crime is committed on board, they do time in Panama or wherever. Hit pause on the next cruise line ad you see on TV. You'll see something to the effect: "Ship Registry Liberia".

    In fairness to the cruise lines, if something really serious happens the cruise line will usually offer something substantial in terms of compensation, not because they have to but because they want to do the right thing. 5000 people walking through urine, they'll get over it in a week. Losing a loved one with no trace and they family will probably be millionaires when they get home.
    Last edited by Smeagol; 02-14-13 at 06:34 PM.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  7. #7
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,121

    Re: Cruise ship "dead in the water" after towline breaks

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Why is that the first thing people think of? Lawsuits?
    because i would guess that a ton of people are going to sue.

  8. #8
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Cruise ship "dead in the water" after towline breaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    because i would guess that a ton of people are going to sue.
    Bingo.

    Sorry Maggie, it's gonna happen.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #9
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Cruise ship "dead in the water" after towline breaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    I was thinking about taking a cruise when I got older but now , never.
    I'm going on one this year. Probably great deal if you lock it in now!
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  10. #10
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Cruise ship "dead in the water" after towline breaks

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Why is that the first thing people think of? Lawsuits? If your airplane has mechanical difficulties and sets down short of its destination, that's not lawsuit worthy. What makes you assume this is? **** happens.
    If your plane had mechancal difficulties, set down in the middle of butt freaking nowhere and kept you onboard and in squallor for countless days - I'd sue, too . . . because there's 'normal problems' and then there's a 'horrific really ****ed up situation' - plane passengers were trapped onboard for over 8 hours and we came up with the passenger's bill of rights.

    What I don't get is why they didn't just ferry people back to the mainland using other boats that were available. . .it was a possibility - they didn't bother? They could have gotten everyone offboard if they REALLY wanted to.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •