Page 71 of 147 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast
Results 701 to 710 of 1467

Thread: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

  1. #701
    Educator Adagio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    08-10-13 @ 05:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,098
    Blog Entries
    3

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    Because as you so accurately stated 'Most jobs pay more then the minimum amyway'. Why bother? Further, this will have no effect on moving folks 'over the poverty line'...as income moves (up or down) so does the poverty line and these entry level earners are what creates this line.
    That's not a good idea. Why bother? Because there are people living under the poverty level. What you're saying is that because most people make more than minimum, those that aren't, should live in poverty when we can actually lift them out where they can spend money back into the economy. I can't believe this Since most people are making more, what you're saying is let the rest go to hell. Why??? Why would you advocate that. Obama and Romney BOTH agreed that the minimum wage should be attached to inflation. If we did that, people would be making more money and less dependent on welfare. By keeping them where they are, you're forcing them to take assistence. Or do you want them out on the street?
    Extremism: A threat at home, a threat abroad.

  2. #702
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
    That's not a good idea. Why bother? Because there are people living under the poverty level. What you're saying is that because most people make more than minimum, those that aren't, should live in poverty when we can actually lift them out where they can spend money back into the economy. I can't believe this Since most people are making more, what you're saying is let the rest go to hell. Why??? Why would you advocate that. Obama and Romney BOTH agreed that the minimum wage should be attached to inflation. If we did that, people would be making more money and less dependent on welfare. By keeping them where they are, you're forcing them to take assistence. Or do you want them out on the street?
    Unless you have traveled somewhat, you haven't seen poverty, and many in the US haven't either...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  3. #703
    Educator Adagio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    08-10-13 @ 05:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,098
    Blog Entries
    3

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    Nope. And no, I certainly wouldn't want you to tax your brain. Why start something like that now?
    Good. Then maybe you'll avoid the "catchy phrase". We wouldn't want you to come off as a hypocrite would we?
    Extremism: A threat at home, a threat abroad.

  4. #704
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
    Did you or did you not bring up lies and Bush?? Lets see: "I doubt seriously that you would have allowed Bush to get away with this BS"



    Here's why you're wrong. You're judging Obama before he's finished. He just started his second term. Your premature judgment shows that it's nothing but partisan BS. You can say Obama is a failure, and liberalism is a failure, all you want but that doesn't make it a failure. You judge something AFTER it's done. NOT before it's done. If Obama lowered unemployment to 2% you'd still deny his success and you know it. You're a partisan hack, and that's it. Why don't you face it, and admit that just hate the guy. At least you'd be honest about it. I could criticize Bush during his term, and with good reason, but ultimately he'll be judged by history. How did he leave the country for the next guy. Bush left a wreck. I don't think that's going to happen with Obama. Time will tell.

    I understand reality far better than you could imagine. I don't subscribe to any ideology as you do. Ideologies cannot demonstrate why they're true. They're baseless. You don't understand that REALITY. Until you do, you're in no position to question me. If something isn't working, I'm willing to change it. You aren't. You'll jam it like a square peg in a round hole to hold to the ideology. That's not reality. You don't force reality to fit your ideology. You adapt the philosophy to meet reality.
    See what I bolded ? Many of us feel that all of your long-windedness is just partisan BS as well. As "brevity is the soul of wit", it lends further credence to those who feel all you have done is rant. If you can't say it in 3 lines or less most of the time, quit.

  5. #705
    Educator Adagio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    08-10-13 @ 05:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,098
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    I think the question could be answered, or ignored.

    The rest is fluff.

    The fact is, you made a claim about failure, and I asked for an explanation for the economic results in California, where no Republican legislation or action has taken place in over 14 years.

    You have chosen to ignore the question.

    So be it. I'll accept you have none to offer.

    The fact is, you made a claim about failure,
    Actually you brought up the failure issue.

    I think the question could be answered, or ignored.
    Fine. I'll ignore you in the future. You obvously didn't understand a thing.
    Extremism: A threat at home, a threat abroad.

  6. #706
    Educator Adagio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    08-10-13 @ 05:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,098
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    This is rubbish, top to bottom. Liberals don't believe in freedom of choice. Freedom of opportunity. They abhor the accountability inherent with real freedom. Quite the contrary, they want mandated results, using the confiscatory power of government, to take the fruits of the labor of one, and redistribute to another. That ain't freedom liberals. That's theft.

    The guy who I quoted in my sig line knew a bit about that.
    This is rubbish, top to bottom.
    Liberals don't believe in freedom of choice. Freedom of opportunity. They abhor the accountability inherent with real freedom. Quite the contrary, they want mandated results, using the confiscatory power of government, to take the fruits of the labor of one, and redistribute to another. That ain't freedom liberals. That's theft.

    You're right. Everything you just said from top to bottom is rubbish. Conservatives as we know are opposed to freedom of choice. They love opportunity, but only for a select group of people. They're more than willing to deny opportunity to those that don't fit their idea of who's deserving of opportunity. I posted this once, but it bears repeating: "Conservatism is defined as the ideology arising out of a distinct but recurring type of historical situation in which a fundamental challenge is directed at established institutions and in which the supporters of those institutions employ the conservative ideology in their defense. Thus, conservatism is that system of ideas employed to justify any established social order, no matter where or when it exists, against any fundamental challenge to its nature or being, no matter from what quarter. Conservatism in this sense is possible in the United States today only if there is a basic challenge to existing American institutions which impels their defenders to articulate conservative values. The Civil Rights movement was a direct challenge to the existing institutions of the time, and conservatism as an ideology is thus a reaction to a system under challenge, a defense of the status quo in a period of intense ideological and social conflict.

    Liberals fully understand the accountablity of freedom. What they abhore is the hypocrisy of the conservative when it comes to that very thing. The idiocy of the conservative is that he actually believes his own BS. It's true. Take this statement for example: "they want mandated results" That's one of the dumbest lines fosterd by conservatives. NOBODY expects mandated results. No two people are the same, so why would they assume that they would deliver the same results? They actually are dumb enough to swallow this. What they want is equal opportunity. NOT equal results. The very idea of that is ludicrous but they'll believe it. They'll believe whatever their told. They all have authoritarian personalities and need to be lead by an authority. Of course appeals to authority are always invalid, but they'll buy a bridge if they think a liberal thinks it's a bad idea.

    , using the confiscatory power of government, to take the fruits of the labor of one, and redistribute to another. That ain't freedom liberals. That's theft.
    No. It's actually called taxation. And that's what we do to provide the infrastructure that a capitalist society requres to function. Capitalism sits on top of a bed of socialism. It always has. That's what our taxes go for. Perhaps you can find a country that doesn't tax the population. You should move there. I'm sure you'll be happy. Go Galt for us. Please
    Extremism: A threat at home, a threat abroad.

  7. #707
    Educator Adagio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    08-10-13 @ 05:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,098
    Blog Entries
    3

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Unless you have traveled somewhat, you haven't seen poverty, and many in the US haven't either...
    I have. I've lived in the Philippines. Are you suggesting that people in the US...the richest nation in the world, should live that way? I thought we were better than that. In fact, we are. We don't let our people starve, and die in the streets. At least some of us share that view. It's kind of the Christian thing to do...or so I'm told.
    Extremism: A threat at home, a threat abroad.

  8. #708
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
    I have. I've lived in the Philippines. Are you suggesting that people in the US...the richest nation in the world, should live that way? I thought we were better than that. In fact, we are. We don't let our people starve, and die in the streets. At least some of us share that view. It's kind of the Christian thing to do...or so I'm told.
    People in the US should live in any manner they choose...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  9. #709
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
    Liberals don't believe in freedom of choice. Freedom of opportunity. They abhor the accountability inherent with real freedom. Quite the contrary, they want mandated results, using the confiscatory power of government, to take the fruits of the labor of one, and redistribute to another. That ain't freedom liberals. That's theft.

    You're right. Everything you just said from top to bottom is rubbish. Conservatives as we know are opposed to freedom of choice. They love opportunity, but only for a select group of people. They're more than willing to deny opportunity to those that don't fit their idea of who's deserving of opportunity. I posted this once, but it bears repeating: "Conservatism is defined as the ideology arising out of a distinct but recurring type of historical situation in which a fundamental challenge is directed at established institutions and in which the supporters of those institutions employ the conservative ideology in their defense. Thus, conservatism is that system of ideas employed to justify any established social order, no matter where or when it exists, against any fundamental challenge to its nature or being, no matter from what quarter. Conservatism in this sense is possible in the United States today only if there is a basic challenge to existing American institutions which impels their defenders to articulate conservative values. The Civil Rights movement was a direct challenge to the existing institutions of the time, and conservatism as an ideology is thus a reaction to a system under challenge, a defense of the status – quo in a period of intense ideological and social conflict.

    Liberals fully understand the accountablity of freedom. What they abhore is the hypocrisy of the conservative when it comes to that very thing. The idiocy of the conservative is that he actually believes his own BS. It's true. Take this statement for example: "they want mandated results" That's one of the dumbest lines fosterd by conservatives. NOBODY expects mandated results. No two people are the same, so why would they assume that they would deliver the same results? They actually are dumb enough to swallow this. What they want is equal opportunity. NOT equal results. The very idea of that is ludicrous but they'll believe it. They'll believe whatever their told. They all have authoritarian personalities and need to be lead by an authority. Of course appeals to authority are always invalid, but they'll buy a bridge if they think a liberal thinks it's a bad idea.



    No. It's actually called taxation. And that's what we do to provide the infrastructure that a capitalist society requres to function. Capitalism sits on top of a bed of socialism. It always has. That's what our taxes go for. Perhaps you can find a country that doesn't tax the population. You should move there. I'm sure you'll be happy. Go Galt for us. Please
    You missed the part about "brevity". And the wit that comes with it.

    Again, read the words of Jefferson. I know it hurts liberals to comprehend such, but give it a whack.

  10. #710
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
    I have. I've lived in the Philippines. Are you suggesting that people in the US...the richest nation in the world, should live that way? I thought we were better than that. In fact, we are. We don't let our people starve, and die in the streets. At least some of us share that view. It's kind of the Christian thing to do...or so I'm told.
    But apparently not the liberal thing to do ....

    Barack says things are better than when he took office. OK. He's got 17 million more Americans on the Gubmit food stamp teat, 6 million more on the disability teat, and over 8 million who have lost enough spirit in trying that we don't even count 'em as caring about employment anymore.

    I hope the hard numbers didn't pee on your one-lib parade here. The truth can be painful, eh ?

    You go BARACK !! You da MAN !!!!! Let's have more of this kinda success !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •