Page 58 of 147 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 580 of 1467

Thread: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

  1. #571
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,267

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by uhohhotdog View Post
    Lol, that's funny considering that's exactly what Romney tried doing in the debate but we're getting off topic here.

    I explained what I meant so maybe you should respond to that instead of spouting off nonsense about something that was answered.

    Austrian economics is a joke in a fantasy world.
    You explained with nonsense. You have no right to a basic living wage. Such things are earned. My comments weren't directed to you anyway. I quit the education business a long time ago.

  2. #572
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,427

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    It doesn't increase consumer spending. It creates more unemployment. The fact of the matter is, businesses are reducing workers to 29 hours a week because of Obamacare regulations. Raising the minimum wage will only hurt these workers more, while at the same time it will crowd out young unskilled workers and minorities out of the Labor Market. You are not calculating the opportunity costs associated with a minimum wage increase. For every household that sees a 2800 increase, another has lost their income as businesses adjust to increased costs. They also charge more for their Goods and Services. It hurts the economy. It doesn't help it.

    Consumer spending is on the decline as well - Retail sales growth slows as higher taxes kick in | Reuters


    The multiplier effect (the amount of GDP that is increased by one dollar of spending) for low-income earners is according to a Dartmouth study titled “real time estimates of the effect of the American recovery and reinvestment act “the multiplier effect is between 1.96 to 2.31.which is pretty good, considering that infrastructure spending,which most consider the gold standard for stimulus spending is 1.85.And anyone making $9.00 bucks (let alone the current rate) an hour would/ will,imo qualify as low-income workers.


    By the way please explain to me how increasing the economy, by putting more money into the peoples pocket that have lost ground for the last thirty years”will crowd out young unskilled workers and minorities out of the Labor Market “.Who makes up the majority of those that will get their wages kicked up.
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  3. #573
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    11-08-13 @ 07:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    43

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    And the US needs "guest workers" because? If you raise the minumum wage will that create (or save) any jobs? McJobs are NEVER going to support "families" at the level that liberals wish them to. If they did then who would seek to gain more work skills and experience? Those tha now make minimum wage X 1.5 or minimum wage + $4/hour will expect to still make that realtive to a McJob, so the minumum dream wage "increase" will simply disappear from inflation. Minimum rents will rise, as will food costs and all COLA adjustments for retirement pay and SS benefits. You cannot magically dictate "fairness" without thinking it through.

    I don't know what guest workers have to do with this.

    Raising the minimum wage is more likely to create jobs because it will put money into the hands of people that can not afford to spend who will now be able to. You will have people that could not afford to buy a house or rent who will now be able to. Your argument against raising it is that it will never get to the levels others wish so you'd simply rather wages continue to slide downwards(through inflation) to horrible levels just because it won't be "enough".

    Allowing people to have a basic living at minimum wage does NOT stop people from gaining more skills/experience. Not everyone on minimum wage is some lazy scumbag/dropout that you conservative/libertarians seem to think. People work those jobs for many reasons.

    If people expect their job to pay relative to minimum wage then that shows how disgusting their true nature is. They're more worried about someone "beneath" them earning closer to what they make. Sickening. I've made my way to an above minimum wage job. It's still not where I want to be but it's a move up. I don't care if those past horrible jobs I had now pay what I'm making now or more so because I'd be happy that there are more people that are able to afford a basic living rather than having to scrape by or work 7 days a week to afford what they can. Your wage does not make your more or less of a person than others. That's one of the real problems in this country. Everyone values each other by what they have rather than who they are.

    If you adjust wages for inflation, all those cost increases soon become meaningless.

  4. #574
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    11-08-13 @ 07:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    43

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    You explained with nonsense. You have no right to a basic living wage. Such things are earned. My comments weren't directed to you anyway. I quit the education business a long time ago.
    More sickening comments from conservatives. EVERYONE that works full time hours should have a basic living wage. It's called being human and having empathy.

    I can't believe how little people here care about others. It's all everyone for themselves. So disgusting. It makes me literally sick to my stomach that people actually think this way.

  5. #575
    Educator Adagio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    08-10-13 @ 05:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,098
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    What I bolded is a bald-faced lie.
    With the end of fiscal year 2012, the Congressional Budget Office announced the 2012 federal budget deficit: $1.1 trillion. Not only has the president cut the deficit by $312 billion during his first term (so far), but he's cut the deficit by $200 billion in the past year alone. And the CBO projected that the 2013 Obama budget, if enacted as is, would shrink the deficit to $977 billion -- a four year total of nearly $500 billion in deficit reduction.

    In fact ( I know how conservatives hate facts ) the president is responsible for the lowest government spending growth in 60 years, according to the Wall Street Journal's Market Watch.

    Reagan had the greatest spending at Annualized Growth of Federal spending in his first term at 8.7% Bush's second term had the second highest at 8.1%. His first term was at 7.3%
    Obama has had the lowest at 1.4%. Next to Obama was Clinton first at 3.2% and Clinton second at 3.9%

    Fact: the president's record is exactly the opposite of what Romney says. And how long ago was this statistic released by the Wall Street Journal and subsequently affirmed by fact checkers? Five months ago.

    Furthermore, I can name two Democratic presidents who've cut the deficit through the duration of their presidencies: Clinton and Obama. And what about Republican presidents? Bush 43? He turned a $200 billion surplus into a $400 billion deficit by the end of his first term, and a $1.2 trillion deficit by the end of his second term. Bush 41? No. Reagan? No. Ford? No. Nixon? No. The last Republican president who cut the deficit was Eisenhower. Of course we don't see Republicans like Ike anymore, do we?
    Extremism: A threat at home, a threat abroad.

  6. #576
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    11-08-13 @ 07:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    43

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
    Your claim was that oil came from oil companies.

    Mine is that oil comes from nations like Venezuela, Canada, Norway, Saudi Arabia, etc., as well as the United States.........

    THAT'S who gets paid for the oil.

    In countries where the government controls the oil, yes those countries get a large chunk of that revenue. The US only gets money through taxes from the sale of that oil The companies are making hundreds of billions of dollars in profit.

  7. #577
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    11-08-13 @ 07:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    43

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    Nonsense. You advocate "free-stuff". Conservatism advocates accountability.
    There's nothing free about working a full time job.

  8. #578
    Educator Adagio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    08-10-13 @ 05:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,098
    Blog Entries
    3

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    I have heard the phrase "liberish" used in this sense. I think it comes from the notion that if you say a lot of stuff real fast and throw in some catchy phrases, people will miss the fact that the lot of stuff you just said is complete BS. Weird, I know, but we do have the latest election results to testify to its effectiveness on a significant portion of the American public. Thank the schools, who also apparently teach only Keynesian economics, and even that not very well.
    Maybe it's just that you aren't smart enough to understand anything. The latest election results actually bear that out. You're completely out of step. You're trying to move backward when the rest of us are moving forward. I'm sure the term "liberish" was coined by a conservatoid, so we shouldn't tax our brain with a "catchy phrase" now should we?
    Extremism: A threat at home, a threat abroad.

  9. #579
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Liberish (lib-er-ish)
    Noun

    The language of liberals. Usually confusing, sometimes dangerous, mostly false.

  10. #580
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Absolutely, too bad Obama's idea of tax reform only hits the upper income earns which is nothing more than a drop in the bucket to solve our spending problem promoted by liberalism. How much in Federal Income Taxes do the 22 plus million unemployed/under employed/discouraged workers pay?

    LOL! How would you propose to get more taxes from the unemployed and those making minimum wage? Don't you think it would be better to work out ways to get them jobs that pay a living wage?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •