Page 57 of 147 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast
Results 561 to 570 of 1467

Thread: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

  1. #561
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,434

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    How so? As you proclaimed 'If companies could use slaves for work they would' but see...they CAN'T thus it is not relative AT ALL! all the rest is jibber jabber.
    I have heard the phrase "liberish" used in this sense. I think it comes from the notion that if you say a lot of stuff real fast and throw in some catchy phrases, people will miss the fact that the lot of stuff you just said is complete BS. Weird, I know, but we do have the latest election results to testify to its effectiveness on a significant portion of the American public. Thank the schools, who also apparently teach only Keynesian economics, and even that not very well.

  2. #562
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    11-08-13 @ 06:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    43

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
    Tell that to the Saudi's........
    Because obviously all the oil we use comes from there.

  3. #563
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 09:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
    I'm citing a fact, and you keep calling it a talkng point? Yeah right, facts are the talking points that conservatives hate. I get it. We have a deficit reduction taking place right now. Where have you been? We learned about a month ago that the U.S. budget deficit for the most recent fiscal year fell to $1.089 trillion, $200 billion smaller than it was last year, and nearly $300 billion smaller than when President Obama took office.

    For the right, the complaints stayed the same -- the deficit that exploded under Bush/Cheney was still too high. But regardless of ideology, the fact remains that there's been an enormous drop in the size of the deficit in the first half of the Obama era.
    What I bolded is a bald-faced lie.

  4. #564
    Sometimes wrong
    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,228

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by uhohhotdog View Post
    Yes, that is exactly the problem. But the conservative problem is that you believe the bad part of that is the government and not the horrible private wages. Minimum wage hikes throughout history have not caused any significant increase in unemployment. Prices will rise no doubt, but the wage increase will more than compensate for those adjusted prices.
    And the US needs "guest workers" because? If you raise the minumum wage will that create (or save) any jobs? McJobs are NEVER going to support "families" at the level that liberals wish them to. If they did then who would seek to gain more work skills and experience? Those tha now make minimum wage X 1.5 or minimum wage + $4/hour will expect to still make that realtive to a McJob, so the minumum dream wage "increase" will simply disappear from inflation. Minimum rents will rise, as will food costs and all COLA adjustments for retirement pay and SS benefits. You cannot magically dictate "fairness" without thinking it through.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  5. #565
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    11-08-13 @ 06:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    43

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    I have heard the phrase "liberish" used in this sense. I think it comes from the notion that if you say a lot of stuff real fast and throw in some catchy phrases, people will miss the fact that the lot of stuff you just said is complete BS. Weird, I know, but we do have the latest election results to testify to its effectiveness on a significant portion of the American public. Thank the schools, who also apparently teach only Keynesian economics, and even that not very well.
    Lol, that's funny considering that's exactly what Romney tried doing in the debate but we're getting off topic here.

    I explained what I meant so maybe you should respond to that instead of spouting off nonsense about something that was answered.

    Austrian economics is a joke in a fantasy world.

  6. #566
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    05-03-13 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    790

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by uhohhotdog View Post
    I said exactly why. You cut it out of the quote. The point is, companies will go for as little wages as possible no matter the cost to society or the people they hurt. We are asking for a basic living wage that adjusts to inflation. We are not asking to live in luxury or to take a living from anyone else. That is the difference. Humanity vs profit.
    Nonsense.

    If I pay the lowest wage, I will get the lowest quality of worker.

    And just about the time I finish my investment in training him, he's likely to go to work for someone else.

    If I pay a higher wage, I can get a better quality worker, and I'm not constantly training people because of turnover.

    And if I want to be competitive in the marketplace, I'll offer benefits, to get the BEST workers, so that I can out- think and out- work my competitors.

  7. #567
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-17-14 @ 11:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by uhohhotdog View Post
    No...they were not.

    Federal Minimum Wage Rates, 1955

    This shows the rates adjusted for inflation from the same source you provided. You are wrong.
    Yes, rates adjusted to constant 1996 dollars...NEWSFLASH...this is 2012! Note how the adjusted rate in 1996 is $4.75, what is the min. wage today?...$7.25 which equates to $4.97 (per your source) which is ABOVE $4.75...YOU ARE WRONG...see?
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  8. #568
    Educator Adagio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    08-10-13 @ 03:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,098
    Blog Entries
    3

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Even allowing more drilling would help.
    We're already doing that. Global drilling for oil and gas is dominated by North America, in particular the USA. In January 1995 there was 737 oil and gas rigs drilling in the USA, 42% of the world total. By October 2011 this figure had grown to 2010 rigs, 55% of the world total. Proportionally the USA has increased it's drilling effort compared to the rest of the world and currently benefits from lower oil prices, significantly lower natural gas prices and higher economic growth than many OECD peers.
    Oil Production Remains the Same, but Rig Counts Continue to Grow
    Extremism: A threat at home, a threat abroad.

  9. #569
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    05-03-13 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    790

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by uhohhotdog View Post
    Because obviously all the oil we use comes from there.

    Your claim was that oil came from oil companies.

    Mine is that oil comes from nations like Venezuela, Canada, Norway, Saudi Arabia, etc., as well as the United States.........

    THAT'S who gets paid for the oil.

  10. #570
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    05-03-13 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    790

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
    We're already doing that. Global drilling for oil and gas is dominated by North America, in particular the USA. In January 1995 there was 737 oil and gas rigs drilling in the USA, 42% of the world total. By October 2011 this figure had grown to 2010 rigs, 55% of the world total. Proportionally the USA has increased it's drilling effort compared to the rest of the world and currently benefits from lower oil prices, significantly lower natural gas prices and higher economic growth than many OECD peers.
    Oil Production Remains the Same, but Rig Counts Continue to Grow
    Thank you, G. W. Bush......

    It takes about 3 years from the time you apply for a drilling permit until you first drill...

    I guess Obama can blame Bush for his success there as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •