Page 56 of 147 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 560 of 1467

Thread: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

  1. #551
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    05-04-13 @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    790

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by uhohhotdog View Post
    ....The oil companies are the suppliers....
    Tell that to the Saudi's........

  2. #552
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by uhohhotdog View Post
    It's very relative...
    How so? As you proclaimed 'If companies could use slaves for work they would' but see...they CAN'T thus it is not relative AT ALL! all the rest is jibber jabber.
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  3. #553
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    11-08-13 @ 07:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    43

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    No, because these minimum wage rates were more progressively adjusted in the 90's in an effort to maintain parity with inflation (of course monitary policy limiting inflation did have an effect also). This was done because as you accurately stated that prior to they were not...but now they are right in line if not a little ahead...check it out.
    No...they were not.

    Federal Minimum Wage Rates, 1955

    This shows the rates adjusted for inflation from the same source you provided. You are wrong.

  4. #554
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,580

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    yes, do that and then those who are without the means to pay for the essential services they require - thru no fault of their own - but which care is now covered by welfare, will be left to die
    another example of the vaunted compassionate conservatism
    Really? How do you explain 11 to 15 million "undocumented" workers? Work is not an option, it is a requirement. There is no rational reason for 15% of the non-disabled US population to not work.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  5. #555
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
    Explain this: Norway and Denmark retained the pole positions they held last year in the overall prosperity measure, while Sweden leapfrogged Australia and New Zealand into third. Canada, Finland, the Netherlands, Switzerland and Ireland rounded out the top ten.
    In its sub-indexes, Legatum named Switzerland the strongest economy and home to the best system of governance. Denmark is the most entrepreneurial and New Zealand has the best education, while health is best in Luxembourg and Iceland is the safest. Canadians enjoy the most personal freedom and Norwegians have the greatest social capital. Every one of them is a liberal government.
    Rubbish. Every one of them is hardly "liberal" as we know it. What all have are largely homogenous populations, where folks are not encouraged to suckle the government teat as the low-information liberals are here in the US. For instance, they do not have major sub-cultures with illegitimate birth rates of 70 and 50%. While they may be more socialist than us, they have far less dead-weight promulgated by their "liberal" governments.

  6. #556
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    yes, do that and then those who are without the means to pay for the essential services they require - thru no fault of their own - but which care is now covered by welfare, will be left to die
    another example of the vaunted compassionate conservatism
    I was thinking that compassionate conservatism’s position would be something along the lines of ‘God would provide and care for those who need’…but I suppose the anthesis of this would be Darwinism where survival would be of the fittest ergo some would be ‘left to die’…remind me again which side of the isle believes in such…

    there u go
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  7. #557
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    11-08-13 @ 07:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    43

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    How so? As you proclaimed 'If companies could use slaves for work they would' but see...they CAN'T thus it is not relative AT ALL! all the rest is jibber jabber.
    I said exactly why. You cut it out of the quote. The point is, companies will go for as little wages as possible no matter the cost to society or the people they hurt. We are asking for a basic living wage that adjusts to inflation. We are not asking to live in luxury or to take a living from anyone else. That is the difference. Humanity vs profit.

  8. #558
    Educator
    CaptinSarcastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    07-18-16 @ 03:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,199

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
    In America, if there's TRULY something you want to do, with hard work and sacrifice, you can usually find a way to go do it....
    This is the "everyone can be an exception" fallacy.

  9. #559
    Educator Adagio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    08-10-13 @ 05:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,098
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Is there some reason that you continue to spout the Obama talking points? let me know when we have a deficit reduction, economic growth of over 4%, less than 22 million unemployed/under employed/discouraged workers, a reduction of people on food stamps and other taxpayer assistance? Learn how our economy works and the four components. Then go to OBama and help him understand it.
    I'm citing a fact, and you keep calling it a talkng point? Yeah right, facts are the talking points that conservatives hate. I get it. We have a deficit reduction taking place right now. Where have you been? We learned about a month ago that the U.S. budget deficit for the most recent fiscal year fell to $1.089 trillion, $200 billion smaller than it was last year, and nearly $300 billion smaller than when President Obama took office.

    For the right, the complaints stayed the same -- the deficit that exploded under Bush/Cheney was still too high. But regardless of ideology, the fact remains that there's been an enormous drop in the size of the deficit in the first half of the Obama era.
    Extremism: A threat at home, a threat abroad.

  10. #560
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by uhohhotdog View Post
    I said exactly why. You cut it out of the quote. The point is, companies will go for as little wages as possible no matter the cost to society or the people they hurt. We are asking for a basic living wage that adjusts to inflation. We are not asking to live in luxury or to take a living from anyone else. That is the difference. Humanity vs profit.
    Nonsense. You advocate "free-stuff". Conservatism advocates accountability.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •