Page 54 of 147 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast
Results 531 to 540 of 1467

Thread: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

  1. #531
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    05-04-13 @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    790

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    There's no effort on my part to insult Conservatives. You guys do that all by yourselves. Your very comment in protecting the earnings of business owners while overlooking the plight of the working poor is evidence enough of how off-base and out of touch many of you on the Right truly are. Your every defense against raising taxes is all about how to get people from unemployment to employment. But you never discuss "how" to prepare the workforce of the future nor what to do to ease the economic burden on those who are struggling financially until they are able to find full, meaningful employment. In the minds of most Republicans, those who are unemployed are truly on their own.
    Once again, you open with a backhanded swipe at people.

    Of course, it's to be expected from the type of people who defecate on police cars.

    I said NOTHING about "protecting the earnings of business owners," but you just blindly assume that I do.

    Obviously you don't understand that the average profit on a dollar to a retailer is about 1.5 cents, with labor usually being his highest cost.

    If he has to pay MORE for labor, he'll either do without it, or pass any price increase onto the CONSUMER, so the increased wage gets eaten up in the increased costs for goods and services at the same time the total number of employed drops.

    It's not my JOB to help "the working poor."

    Nor is it the governments.

    It's the working poor's job TO HELP THEMSELVES, and many, many of them climb out of poverty by their own resources and hard work, as I did.

    Now, some people hate poverty, and go to schools to find good paying jobs doing something they enjoy.

    Some people don't mind not making a lot of money, because they love the arts, and would rather do something they enjoy....

    In America, if there's TRULY something you want to do, with hard work and sacrifice, you can usually find a way to go do it....

  2. #532
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    05-04-13 @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    790

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    You don't really believe what you are saying do you?

    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/18/op...myth.html?_r=0

    Because oil is a global commodity, increasing domestic production will do very little to bring down retail prices, although it does help narrow the trade deficit as America spends less on imports. On this score, America is doing much better than the Republicans will admit. In 2005, oil imports accounted for nearly 60 percent of America’s daily consumption. In 2010, for the first time in recent memory, imports were less than half of consumption, and last year, imports were only 45 percent — 8.6 million barrels a day of the 19 million consumed. There are two reasons for this welcome shift: production is up and oil consumption is down. Production of crude oil and other liquid fuels, onshore and offshore, reached about 10.3 million barrels daily in 2011, its highest level since the late 1980s.
    Oil is a fungible commodity.

    When you understand the mechanics of what that means, you'll understand why the above is nonsense.

  3. #533
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by uhohhotdog View Post
    Minimum wage was $1.60 in 1970

    U.S. Minimum Wage History


    According to your calculator that's $9.47.


    Here's a history of minimum wage in Constant dollars

    Federal Minimum Wage Rates, 1955
    That's true...now use the numbers (from an official site, btw):

    U.S. Department of Labor - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - Minimum Wage

    Run them from 1990 to current and point out where the current minimum wage is not higher than inflation adjusted ones...then get back to us.
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  4. #534
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by uhohhotdog View Post
    Unions in Germany pay their auto workers far far far more than in the US. I don't see German auto industry dying.
    You're right again...that's why they moved over here (the US) to produce cars...


    especially in RTW states...
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  5. #535
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    11-08-13 @ 07:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    43

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    You are wrong too in 1970 it was $6.47, I read accross to 1998 by mistake.
    Technically I was right because I said 1968 but as for 1970 yes. My point still stands that inflation has not kept up compared to either of those years.

  6. #536
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    05-04-13 @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    790

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by uhohhotdog View Post
    That actually verifies what I said.

    After all the expenses are paid, the actual profit to the government is 11-12 percent.

    It's far less to everyone else, with the possible exception of the supplier of the oil, primarily someone overseas.

  7. #537
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    11-08-13 @ 07:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    43

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    You're right again...that's why they moved over here (the US) to produce cars...


    especially in RTW states...

    If companies could use slaves for work they would. Which is why they want wages as close to slave labor as possible.

  8. #538
    Educator Adagio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    08-10-13 @ 05:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,098
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Explain California junior.
    Explain this: Norway and Denmark retained the pole positions they held last year in the overall prosperity measure, while Sweden leapfrogged Australia and New Zealand into third. Canada, Finland, the Netherlands, Switzerland and Ireland rounded out the top ten.
    In its sub-indexes, Legatum named Switzerland the strongest economy and home to the best system of governance. Denmark is the most entrepreneurial and New Zealand has the best education, while health is best in Luxembourg and Iceland is the safest. Canadians enjoy the most personal freedom and Norwegians have the greatest social capital. Every one of them is a liberal government.
    Extremism: A threat at home, a threat abroad.

  9. #539
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    11-08-13 @ 07:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    43

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
    That actually verifies what I said.

    After all the expenses are paid, the actual profit to the government is 11-12 percent.

    It's far less to everyone else, with the possible exception of the supplier of the oil, primarily someone overseas.
    ....The oil companies are the suppliers....

  10. #540
    Educator Adagio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    08-10-13 @ 05:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,098
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Cuba, the bastian of freedom and prosperity, a true liberal dream country
    The Third Reich. A conservatives wet dream.
    Extremism: A threat at home, a threat abroad.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •