Page 47 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 470 of 1467

Thread: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

  1. #461
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by uhohhotdog View Post
    If the US had it's own national oil company, we'd have a lot more money too.
    Even allowing more drilling would help.

  2. #462
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,149

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Your article is dated March 1st 2009. Major fail.
    duh!
    the crash happened on the shrub's watch, remember?!
    mccain was going around campaigning at the time saying dumb republican **** like"the fundamentals of the economy are sound"
    Obama did not inherit this economic fubar until january 2009

    It's also doesn't characterize a Countrywide loan for example as a "CRA loan".
    there is a reason for this. under federal regulations fannie mae and freddie mac could only buy for the secondary market "conforming" loans. to conform, the loan had to meet established federal criteria. countrywide loans were NON-conforming

    The problem with that premise is that the GSEs bought up 70% of all of CountryWide's loans and added them to their portfolio.
    it's almost like you are trying to prove your ignorance on this topic. a republican president, nixon, privatized the GSEs. instead of being owned by the taxpayer, the shares of fannie mae and freddie mac were sold to private interests. however, there was a huge problem with that. the federal government still provided an 'implied' guaranty on the GSEs' transactions. so, when they got in trouble, the taxpayers covered their losses. whereas while they were VERY profitable, the individual interests pocketed the profits. a very heads-i-win, tails-you-lose scenario. which takes us to your next ignorant statement:
    Democrats caused the Housing Crash. It's irrefutable. Reno strong armed banks to push affordable housing goals to reduce "redlining". Groups like ACORN were used as the foot soldiers in neighborhoods to keep the banks in line. Classic left wing community organizing.
    made made all of that **** up
    but shut me up. show us evidence that you are right and i am wrong. accept that challenge. please
    Every fact you are unable to refute you characterize as "Right Wing Memes" while at the same time you push 4 year old articles that are long past even being remotely relevant. Sad and pathetic.
    you offer no facts to refute. because you came into this discussion unarmed and prepared to be embarrassed. glad to oblige
    It matters
    yes, it does. offer any proof that what i have posted to refute your argument is in any way in error
    i am betting you will instead run away and hide from the thread
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  3. #463
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by uhohhotdog View Post
    Minimum wage affects retail more than anything else. More specifically it affects restaurants, which is something you can't ship off overseas. Yes cost of food will go up, but the amount the wage increases will more than keep up with that. These types of businesses are already working on bare bones staffing. That's what capitalism does. You can't really cut much more than they already have. People having more money to spend will create more business. In the history of minimum wage increases there has been NO significant change in unemployment. Stop spreading lies.
    Is your assertion that wage increases will keep up with food costs based on a presumption that those who are currently earning minimum wage, and thus recognize the increase, are the predominate consumers of restaurants? Does this sound logical?

    Further consider that eating out is commonly a discretionary expense that often is eliminated once the cost gets prohibitive…
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  4. #464
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by uhohhotdog View Post
    Minimum wage affects retail more than anything else. More specifically it affects restaurants, which is something you can't ship off overseas. Yes cost of food will go up, but the amount the wage increases will more than keep up with that. These types of businesses are already working on bare bones staffing. That's what capitalism does. You can't really cut much more than they already have. People having more money to spend will create more business. In the history of minimum wage increases there has been NO significant change in unemployment. Stop spreading lies.
    Do you have any idea how many people in this country out of the labor force of 150 million plus or minus labor force make minimum wage, who they are, and how long they make minimum wage? Further do you understand that not all states pay the Federal Minimum wage with most paying more than the current Federal Minimum wage? This is nothing more than rhetoric that doesn't do anything to put 22 plus million unemployed/under employed/discouraged workers back to work full time.

    Liberals seem to be experts on every topic so my suggestion to you is start your own business, pay your employees whatever you deem necessary and see how long you survive with that liberal ideology? By the way, why nine dollars an hour? Why not twenty? Do you have any idea how much nine dollars an hour generates in net income for a full time employee working forty hours a week? Figure it out and get back to me

  5. #465
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,755

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    There's no business like show business. Did you notice how robotic that applause was? Makes you wonder if they aren't all androids.
    Call someone an android 20 years ago, he would have thought you were calling him a robot. Today, if you call someone an android, he thinks you are accusing him of having the personality of a telephone.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  6. #466
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    11-08-13 @ 07:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    43

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Do you have any idea how many people in this country out of the labor force of 150 million plus or minus labor force make minimum wage, who they are, and how long they make minimum wage? Further do you understand that not all states pay the Federal Minimum wage with most paying more than the current Federal Minimum wage? This is nothing more than rhetoric that doesn't do anything to put 22 plus million unemployed/under employed/discouraged workers back to work full time.

    Liberals seem to be experts on every topic so my suggestion to you is start your own business, pay your employees whatever you deem necessary and see how long you survive with that liberal ideology? By the way, why nine dollars an hour? Why not twenty? Do you have any idea how much nine dollars an hour generates in net income for a full time employee working forty hours a week? Figure it out and get back to me
    Do you understand that many people out of work REFUSE minimum wage jobs because those jobs don't pay well enough to live on? Do you realize that the states that pay more than the federal minimum wage pay very little more and don't solve the problem? I never said 9 dollars. Livable wage is about 16/hr. That's what it should be. I don't know what your questions are trying to prove. If anything answering those questions only helps my argument. So maybe you should make your point more clear so I can actually respond to it.


    And to make my point clear about minimum wage is that minimum wage should offer a full time worker a wage that allows them to support theirself while still having an incentive to move up to do greater things. That's why it should be 16 and not a billion or whatever ridiculous number someone counters with.

  7. #467
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    If only they paid such tax rates. Effective tax rates kind of make your claim specious at best.
    They don't pay those rates because they can't afford to pay those rates.
    Derp.

  8. #468
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by uhohhotdog View Post
    Do you understand that many people out of work REFUSE minimum wage jobs because those jobs don't pay well enough to live on? Do you realize that the states that pay more than the federal minimum wage pay very little more and don't solve the problem? I never said 9 dollars. Livable wage is about 16/hr. That's what it should be. I don't know what your questions are trying to prove. If anything answering those questions only helps my argument. So maybe you should make your point more clear so I can actually respond to it.
    What makes you an expert on why someone else doesn't take a job? That is your opinion and should be stated as an opinion. Further you believe it should be 16 per hour, why? why not 20 per hour or 30 per hour? You are such an expert so start your own business and pay those wages.

    My point is that the market should establish wages and the govt. has no business telling private industry what to pay its workers. Govt. has nothing invested in the business and just sucks out a share in taxes without any of the risk. Obama fits well into that liberal ideology knowing nothing about how to run a business

  9. #469
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    05-04-13 @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    790

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by uhohhotdog View Post
    Do you understand that many people out of work REFUSE minimum wage jobs because those jobs don't pay well enough to live on? Do you realize that the states that pay more than the federal minimum wage pay very little more and don't solve the problem? I never said 9 dollars. Livable wage is about 16/hr. That's what it should be. I don't know what your questions are trying to prove. If anything answering those questions only helps my argument. So maybe you should make your point more clear so I can actually respond to it.


    And to make my point clear about minimum wage is that minimum wage should offer a full time worker a wage that allows them to support theirself while still having an incentive to move up to do greater things. That's why it should be 16 and not a billion or whatever ridiculous number someone counters with.
    What a bunch of hooey.

    The minimum wage should be whatever the market determines it should be, and people who "don't want to work because it's too low" should be thrown off of any kind of assistance, and go take one of those "jobs Americans won't do' like a man should and would, and quit their crying.

  10. #470
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    05-04-13 @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    790

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    What makes you an expert on why someone else doesn't take a job? That is your opinion and should be stated as an opinion. Further you believe it should be 16 per hour, why? why not 20 per hour or 30 per hour? You are such an expert so start your own business and pay those wages.

    My point is that the market should establish wages and the govt. has no business telling private industry what to pay its workers. Govt. has nothing invested in the business and just sucks out a share in taxes without any of the risk. Obama fits well into that liberal ideology knowing nothing about how to run a business

    Hear, HEAR!

    It's really ALL ABOUT a HUGE NEW INFLUX OF TAX MONEY to the government, and has NOTHING to do with "trying to help people."

Page 47 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •