Page 28 of 147 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 1467

Thread: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

  1. #271
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Its funny now to see conservative rail against tax reform since they have been saying that's what is needed for the last 4 years.
    What is funny are liberals like you who continue to buy the Obama rhetoric and ignore the Obama results and actions. Actions always speak louder than words and we have a President great on rhetoric and very poor on performance. Keep buying the rhetoric and see where that gets you.

    For those with an open mind, here is a good analysis of the Obama speech and actually pointing out the lies.

    What we have today are the very poorly informed who buy the rhetoric.


    State of the Union 2013 - YouTube

  2. #272
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: SOTU Address:

    I'll be upfront with you. I don't like Obama and I disagree with many of his purported policies. But I did agree with 2 things he said last night.

    1) Minimum wage. First, not that many people are getting less than $9 an hour anyway. The least anybody is making is $7.25 and many states are higher than that anyway. So, realistically, there are a few million workers making less than $9, so they'll get a $1 raise. Any business that can't afford another $8 a day isn't much of a business. I've been self-employed for about 45 years and I never once paid minimum wage. I'd frankly be embarrased to and I ask for loyalty and dedication so I'm not going to not be at leastt 20% above minimum.

    So, I feel this is not harmful at all and nobody can survive on less than $9. The only ones who get this "raiuse" are people that actually have a job. Not parasites - workers.

    2) Manufacturing development labs - This is one of my ideas and I feel Obama should pay ME for suggesting this years ago. Developing new products and licensing them to IS manufacturers and making them in the US is a wise, and not excessive, investment. Look how many things NASA invented as a by-product of the space program! The USG will probably turn a profit on the patents and stuff will get invented that private industry hasn't gotten to yet. This makes America stronger. It will also train new engineers who can then go with their inventions to whomever buys the license. In the end, it costs probably zero and we need to get back ahead of China, Korea and Japan etc. in new technology.

    Just because Obama is wrong about many things doesn't mean he's wrong about everything. I wish he had more good ideas. But I will support what is good, I want America to succeed. He;s already elected - lets get the best possible from him. Don't you think that's wisest?






    Quote Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
    And businesses have to make a profit....

    The increased expenses in wages would be offset by an increase in prices.

    The rest of us would wind up paying more.

    In addition, with all the money that's been printed, inflation, which is already going to take off when the banks start lending again and it "gains velocity," will REALLY take off.

  3. #273
    Educator
    CaptinSarcastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    07-18-16 @ 03:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,199

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    For your convenience:



    To your point, your implication was that Republicans when ‘in power’ did nothing to address corporate taxes to which I provided evidence that countered your implication. Yes, it did further complicate the current tax code…but consider the President in the SOTU declared a goal to simplify the tax code including reducing loopholes (which again he had a DC majority in ’08-’10) and has yet to do…and also which is what Romney ran on and POTUS and his minions attacked him on, specifically on his ‘non-specifics’ which POTUS is currently precisely guilty of…hypocrisy anyone?
    Again, you stated that Democrats jacked up corporate taxes to the highest rate in the world, I countered that the GOP did nothing to change this. You responded with a link to a corporate tax giveaway during the Bush administration which did not change America's status of having the highest corporate taxes in the world, but actually increased complexity.

    Clearly you believe that the corporate tax giveaway represents action on the part of the GOP to reduce corporate taxes, I argue that this is not the case, but rather it was specified targeted giveaways that only a small number of companies could take advantage of.

    I understand your point, I am hopeful that you understand mine. Beyond that, there is not to much to say, either you can acknowledge that I am accurately describing the situation, or not.

    As to your charges of hypocrisy on the part of the President with respect to the fact that he has both recommended simplifying the corporate tax code, eliminating deductions, and reducing the rate, and during the Presidential campaign derided Governor Romney for recommending the same strategy for individual income taxes on the highest earners.

    You are correct that this happened, you are incorrect on the assertion that this represented hypocrisy.

    Here is why. Romneys income tax plan, with respect to the highest earners, was claimed by Romney to be revenue neutral for the highest earners. "I will not reduce the taxes paid by high-income Americans."

    However, he intended a 20% rate cut offset by limiting deductions. Deductions only added up to 20% of proposed rate cuts for the highest earners even if they were eliminated 100%, therefore the math states that his plan would have been a 16% tax cut for the highest earners and not remotely revenue neutral. Pointing this error in arithmetic is not hypcrisy, it is simple arithmetic.

    Corporate taxes do include massive deductions that could offset rate reductions to 28% and be revenue neutral.

    So these two things that you wish to call equivelant are not.

    Do you understand?
    Last edited by CaptinSarcastic; 02-13-13 at 01:23 PM. Reason: error correction

  4. #274
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    What is funny...........

    Nice job of completely ignoring the point I made about tax reform.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  5. #275
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 04:50 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,195

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    If you'd prefer, we could focus on Rubio's lies and exaggerations.
    Marco Rubio response fact check - POLITICO.com
    The Politico? Hahahahaha ....

    They try and slam Rubio while admitting he had a point. The Sequester was Obama's idea.

    I read the piece. It's a total joke. Obama's EPA is out of control and trying to regulate entire industries out of business.

    They had 3 points of contention and their only response to what Rubio said are WH talking points. I especially got a good laugh when they twisted themselves in knots defending Obamacare.

    Why are you mocking a hispanic man taking a drink of water? Have you never seen a hispanic man take a drink of water before? I'm detecting some possible racism from you. Mocking a hispanic man for drinking water is insensitive.

  6. #276
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptinSarcastic View Post
    Again, you stated that Democrats jacked up corporate taxes to the highest rate in the world,
    AGAIN, where did I state the above?

    Do you understand?
    The question is 'do you understand'? You have falsely accused me AGAIN!...
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  7. #277
    Educator
    CaptinSarcastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    07-18-16 @ 03:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,199

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    AGAIN, where did I state the above?



    The question is 'do you understand'? You have falsely accused me AGAIN!...
    Ah, I see what happened. I argued the point that the poster "American" made, which in included this quote, "That's because Democrats jack up corporate taxes to the highest level worldwide. But don't let any facts get in the way of your favorite meme."

    We were debating and you seemed to have picked up where he left off, so I assigned his statement to you.

    I apologize for my error.

    So you do not blame Democrats for jacking up corporate taxes to the highest in the world, but you still seem to have an opinion that the GOP did something about this, and yet, American still has the highest corporate taxes in the world.

    Take my argument, ignore my quote attribution error, and tell me where you think I am wrong.

  8. #278
    Global Moderator
    Silent Bob for President!

    RedAkston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,790
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Why are you opposed to paying those at the bottom of the pay scale a wage that they might be able to survive on?

    Did you ever hear of Henry Ford? Ninety nine years ago in January, 1914 Ford raised the pay of his workers to $5.00 a day.

    He reasoned that since, because of his innovations, it was now possible to build inexpensive cars in volume, more of them could be sold if employees could afford to buy them. The $5 day helped better the lot of all American workers and contributed to the emergence of the American middle class. In the process. Ford had changed manufacturing forever.

    More here:Henry Ford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Unfortunately most of you people on the right just don't understand how the economy works.

    Have a nice day.



    "Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.
    I love it when a liberal shoots themselves in the foot with their own "example".

    Henry Ford was a great, great man. He failed twice at establishing a successful auto manufacturing company before he was successful. He did not get a government bailout, he persevered. He kept trying and finally succeeded. As the owner of his company, he decided to raise his worker's wages on his own. That's right, no pressure from government, no government mandate, just his decision. He made the decision to raise the pay for those who worked for him and take a hit on his own profits. It wasn't done via the barrel of a gun from Washington, it was done because he wanted his workers to be able to buy the same vehicles that they were building, which is good business sense.

    When Washington mandates that businesses raise minimum wage, it drives the cost of labor up making it more difficult for businesses to make a profit. And with the economy teetering on the brink of collapse, it's "most of the people on the right" who don't understand how the economy works?
    Welfare (Food Stamps, WIC, etc...) are not entitlements. They are taxpayer funded handouts and shouldn't be called entitlements at all. Social Security and Veteran's benefits are 'Entitlements' because the people receiving them are entitled to them. They were earned and paid for by the recipients.

  9. #279
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Nice job of completely ignoring the point I made about tax reform.
    And you ignored that Obama has made that statement before and until something concrete is proposed I ignored nothing but you ignored the lies.

  10. #280
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptinSarcastic View Post
    I apologize for my error.
    Thank you for this!...

    So you do not blame Democrats for jacking up corporate taxes to the highest in the world, but you still seem to have an opinion that the GOP did something about this, and yet, American still has the highest corporate taxes in the world.

    No, I don't blame anyone as EVERYONE is at fault and the mere application of blame is pointless. Yes the GOP did do SOMETHING, frankly compounding the already complicated tax code even further (as I inferred previously).
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •