Page 27 of 147 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 1467

Thread: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

  1. #261
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Lefty myths of our time: why Henry Ford's 'pay rise' for workers undermines the Living Wage campaign – Telegraph Blogs

    Ford didnt raise his wage for charity or so his workers could buy his cars. He did it to stop them from quitting and having to retrain new workers.
    Not so fast. Henry Ford was not like corporate executives today, he believed in paying a living wage.


    "There should be no unemployment. There is large percentage of labor now which cannot make a living because wages are not high enough. That is industry's 2nd job. 1st job is to make good product. 2nd pay a good wage."
    Henry Ford 7/28/1936

  2. #262
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,033

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by Texmex View Post
    Not so fast. Henry Ford was not like corporate executives today, he believed in paying a living wage.


    Henry Ford 7/28/1936
    Sounds like corporate spin to me. Fords were not good products. The were mass manufactured with poor quality to be cheap. He paid less than other companies to keep them cheap. This caused people to quit and Ford having to pay more to hire new ones. Raising the wage saved him money and stole workers from his competitors. Thus his goal was profit. He would have paid them less if they were willing to work for it.

    And we didnt even talk about the requirements to get this bonus wage, which were visits from the company to ensure the workers house was kept up to Fords family values.

  3. #263
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptinSarcastic View Post
    So how come American corporate taxes are still highest in the world, and how come the rates are exactly where they were when Bush came into office, and how come the only changes made were specific new complexities that most small and medium cannot take advantage of?

    A corporate giveaway to political contributors is still a corporate giveaway to political contributors, even if you do it in the tax code.

    Lower the rate, eliminate some of the giveaways and complexities and allow American business to thrive.

    That is what Obama has asked Congress to pass.

    That is not what Bush and the GOP pushed through.
    AH, so you failed to provide evidence requested to support your false accusation...there is a word for such actions.
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  4. #264
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Well, what I look forward to is......

    " oh, it was last night, you say?"


    Never mind...........
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  5. #265
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Sounds like corporate spin to me. Fords were not good products. The were mass manufactured with poor quality to be cheap. He paid less than other companies to keep them cheap. This caused people to quit and Ford having to pay more to hire new ones. Raising the wage saved him money and stole workers from his competitors. Thus his goal was profit. He would have paid them less if they were willing to work for it.

    And we didnt even talk about the requirements to get this bonus wage, which were visits from the company to ensure the workers house was kept up to Fords family values.
    So, when I show that you lied about Henry Ford and his views on business, which I backed up with a quote, your response is to then make up more lies from you own mind, then pull these lies out of your ass and post them as facts. Then to make matters worse, you attack the product that Ford makes because you don't like his belief that labor should be paid a decent wage.

    It wasn't that long ago that right-wingers was praising Ford for not taking government money. I guess you don't remember this.

  6. #266
    Educator
    CaptinSarcastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    07-18-16 @ 03:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,199

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    AH, so you failed to provide evidence requested to support your false accusation...there is a word for such actions.
    What false accusations do you perceive that I have made?

    You provided the evidence that what you called Bush/Republican corporate tax cuts, and I have called these what they are, specific corporate giveaways with no reduction in either the corporate tax rate or the complexity.

    You do understand that complexity is regulatory capture of the tax code by the largest companies, it benefits those that have massive accounting departments and lobbyists, at the expense of smaller companies that do not. This is how some of the largest companies in the world can show billions in profits and pay no corporate taxes, while much smaller companies pay far closer to the marginal rate.

    What is it you would like to see?

  7. #267
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: SOTU Address:

    This State of the Union Address really just hammered down everything I despise about Obama in a neat little package. He's an overly cocky, egotistical populist, who gets by more on the cult of personality surrounding his status as the "first black president" than the merit of his leadership abilities.

    As if that weren't enough, the whole "the economy isn't really important, guns are bad" focus he chose for the speach was an outright slap in the face for all of the millions of unemployed college grads like myself who are struggling to get by in the cluster**** of an economy he's run for the last four years. The overwhelming message I've gotten out of his administration is that he basically feels that we can just be left to rot so long as he gets the gun control and healthcare policies he wants.

    Believe it or not, while I have never been an Obama supporter, I did hold out hope for a brief window back in 2008 that he "might not be all that bad." Afterall, I reasoned, "there's no way he could be dumb enough to push for a European style welfare state in the midst of the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression."

    Needless to say, those days are long gone.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 02-13-13 at 12:34 PM.

  8. #268
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post

    Wow, talk about dishonesty.

    You get to deduct expenses.

    If I move a company from iowa to Illinois, I can deduct those expenses.

    If I move from Iowa to China, I also can deduct those expenses.

    This is not a tax break for moving overseas, this is a tax break because expenses were incurred, and we only tax profits.

    I’m going to assume the saving in labor costs more than makes up the increased moving expense however, which makes such a move economically feasible. This means the move was done to increase profits, which will ultimately increase taxes.

    So it is slightly more accurate – albeit still dishonest – to call this entire situation a tax penalty for moving jobs overseas.

  9. #269
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptinSarcastic View Post
    What false accusations do you perceive that I have made?
    For your convenience:

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptinSarcastic View Post
    You said Democrats "jacked up corporate taxes to the highest level worldwide", so I ask you, did GWB do anything to make our corporate taxes something other than the highest worldwide?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    I DID? Please point it out!
    To your point, your implication was that Republicans when ‘in power’ did nothing to address corporate taxes to which I provided evidence that countered your implication. Yes, it did further complicate the current tax code…but consider the President in the SOTU declared a goal to simplify the tax code including reducing loopholes (which again he had a DC majority in ’08-’10) and has yet to do…and also which is what Romney ran on and POTUS and his minions attacked him on, specifically on his ‘non-specifics’ which POTUS is currently precisely guilty of…hypocrisy anyone?
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  10. #270
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: SOTU Address:

    Its funny now to see conservatives rail against tax reform since they have been saying that's what is needed for the last 4 years.
    Last edited by Catawba; 02-13-13 at 01:15 PM.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •