Page 127 of 147 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,270 of 1467

Thread: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

  1. #1261
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Check out post 1252. Anyhow, we do agree on Chicago pols. They are terrible, no matter which side.
    The windy is one of my fav cities.If you cant finda party going on somewhere at anytime of the day or night your blind.
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  2. #1262
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,211

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
    I have no idea what you're talking about. When did I do that? Don't just re-post the comment, include the comment number. If I did, it was surely by mistake. I haven't knowingly agreed with anything he's said.

    Your post is exactly what your friend was talking about. The "Kitchen Sink" Approach to debate. Fill your comment with so many things from your talking points, that it's ridiculous. You haven't an original thought in your head, have you?

    I tell you what Adagio, everything I mentioned to show child he was very uneducated on the subject is true, and I have much more if he foolishly decides to rebut those statements.

    It's not the kitchen sink, it's facts, objective evidence, empirical data, well reasoned and true thought processes that transcend your mediocrity and your ridiculous generic talking points and I dare you to rebut any of it.

    C'mon, you been the bastion of liberal information the last few days, objecting to every Conservative's post and rattling off useless generalities in response to true data.

    So line by line, point by point in my sub-prime post counter each one with your "TRUTH". If you don't your scared and defeated and make no bones about it, I'l slap down anything nonsense you continue to vomit out on to this forums.

    This is a challenge so put your money where your mouth is. WE ARE WAITING
    The New Democratic Party Slogan :

    " Return to Power By Any Means Necessary "

  3. #1263
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Whipsnade View Post
    Dickieboy makes it a career.Hence my attack on both.
    How should I take this as anything other than a bait/flame?

    career indeed...
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  4. #1264
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
    Is that a fact?? What do you base that fact on?
    History, personal experience, and economic data. This country wasn't built on the liberal vision of a massive central govt, but rather individual wealth creation and personal responsibility.

  5. #1265
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
    you don't want to go there junior.



    Really? What do you think gives them that impression? Like maybe it's the way you express yourself?



    That depends. How many people are out of work and willing to take anything? As for who they are, I don't have their names and phone numbers, but you can look at the labor statistics to get an idea. How's that sound? And they'll make that wage until they can find something better. In the meantime they have bills to pay.
    Don't want their names, want the number and a general definition of who they are.

    For someone who seems to be an expert on everything you sure whine alot about others, people that you don't know.

  6. #1266
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,725
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
    And they're still millionairs??? Wow! The way you hear them cry all the time, you'd think wouldn't be able to afford food on their table or a roof over their head.
    No need for tears. Just pointing out that they pay their fair share.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  7. #1267
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    No need for tears. Just pointing out that they pay their fair share.
    Becareful when you talk about fair share because liberals believe that people who have more than they have or approach what they have aren't paying their fair share. There idea of fair share is doing what they want, spending on what they want, and giving in to everything they want. Liberals talk about compassion when their only compassion is allowing them the power to mold people the way they want.

  8. #1268
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Becareful when you talk about fair share because liberals believe that people who have more than they have or approach what they have aren't paying their fair share. There idea of fair share is doing what they want, spending on what they want, and giving in to everything they want. Liberals talk about compassion when their only compassion is allowing them the power to mold people the way they want.
    You may enjoy this The Little Government that Could - YouTube

    and this The Forbidden History of Terrible Taxes - YouTube

  9. #1269
    Educator Adagio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    08-10-13 @ 05:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,098
    Blog Entries
    3

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Apology. Now.



    Context is discussing politicians who most certainly act in their own self interest most of the time. At no point did I argue anyone is a self serving asshole. There is such a thing as enlightened self interest, you know.



    Except that Hagel made that particular quote about the Surge. Not the war, but the surge itself.




    Look at all the shiny liberal talking points, like youre reading them out of the NYT or DU. Of course, the only way you can infer these things is by reading the minds of the people making the decisions and I think Im going to have to go with ideology typing up opinions as though they were facts.



    Trying to go for 2 infractions in one post? Stop with the damned insults already.
    Context is discussing politicians who most certainly act in their own self interest most of the time. At no point did I argue anyone is a self serving asshole. There is such a thing as enlightened self interest, you know.
    Yes context is important. You might consider that and qualify your claims before making an absolute statement that people always act in their own self interest. You may even want to consider that regarding politicians. Unless you know the inner workings of what they are all thinking, it's just a subjective generalization based on cynicism.

    Except that Hagel made that particular quote about the Surge. Not the war, but the surge itself.
    Right. And if he said the surge was such a sweet thing despite the fact that the war was a complete blunder and Bush was wrong in doing it...I'm sure that McCain and the Republicans would have no issue with him at all. If you even bothered to look at the video interview he did on Fox, you know that isn't true. The so-called "Surge" was but one thing that he mentioned. So why are you perpetuating this absurdity? Hagel went against Bush and the Republicans and this is political payback in McCains own words. It's blatent political crap on his part and those of the Republithugs.

    Look at all the shiny liberal talking points, like youre reading them out of the NYT or DU.
    Oh brother ... "You don't go to war because you don't like the guy or he threatened you Dad. That's self interest." That's not a talking point. That's common sense. "You look for the reasons NOT to go to war. It's a last resort, not the first." That's not a talking point. That's LOGIC! "But no...Rummy wanted something sexier. He wanted Shock and Awe. We've got to show the people back home some **** blowing up other than a bunch of rocks." That's not a talking point. That's Rumsfeld words. Afghanistan was appealing back home. He wanted something more like the Gulf War to maintain public support for their idiocy.

    So...no. sorry but these aren't talking points put out by the DNC. These are observations that any normal thinking person can make.

    the only way you can infer these things is by reading the minds of the people making the decisions and I think Im going to have to go with ideology typing up opinions as though they were facts.
    I'm sure a person like yourself needs to be told what to think via some talking points, and as a result you think that everybody does the same thing, and can't think for themselves. But you're projecting your own problems on everyone else. You don't need a talking point to inform you that you dont' cut taxes and take your country to war. You don't need them to know that war is a last resort and not the first. You don't need them to know that when the Sec. of Defense wants a better visual to justify a war of aggression against a country that had nothing to do with 9/11, that the justification is bogus and without any merit. All of those comments from me on those very subjects are not "talking points" that I needed to have fed to me. I could figure that much out on my own. It's called thinking. Try it sometime. It works really well.

    As for being a "tool" that's exactly what a person that relies on "talking points" is. A useful tool for those that are promoting their own agenda. What you object to is my calling it what it is. So fine. You and Fenton are not "tools". You simply do the bidding of those that supply you with your argument. Feel better now?
    Extremism: A threat at home, a threat abroad.

  10. #1270
    Educator Adagio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    08-10-13 @ 05:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,098
    Blog Entries
    3

    re: SOTU Address:[W: 378; 1310; 1451]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptinSarcastic View Post
    Interesting side note on income taxes.

    I tried to find some information about corporate income taxes for myself and uncovered a aspect of the methodology that surprised me.

    Did you know that the federal government credit corporate income taxes to the personal income tax statistics based on share of income. The idea is that if these people make these much of the income, they must own this much of the corporations, so we'll just add those dollars to the taxes paid by that income group.

    Of course the top 1% have a huge portion of the income, so they get a big chunk of the corporate income taxes credited to them.

    On that top 1% thing, I think it is a mistake to talk about the top 1%, the top 1% starts at $350k, barely enough to live well, and certainly not enough to considered in the group that makes Millions, tens of millions, hundreds of millions, and billions. Most of the actual people in the top 1% make under a million, almost 90% of them. the top 1/10 of the top 1% is where the money is. This group is about 135,000 people and they make 17% of all income, they pay 37% of federal income taxes, but federal income taxes is only about 58% of total federal taxes. So that 17% of all income taxes is less than 10% of total federal taxes, and their share of the taxes is tiny since they are mostly regressive taxes like payroll taxes. So the top 1/10 of 1% takes in 17% of the income, pays 10% of the taxes, and they are bitching, and a third of Americans who are flat out paupers relative to these guys, are bitching about "soaking the rich".

    It is flippin' brilliant how these folks have gotten people to argue their case for them, against their own interests.

    If it were not so tragic, it would be funny.
    Did you know that the federal government credit corporate income taxes to the personal income tax statistics based on share of income.
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but corporate income has nothing to do with the income of the executives and they aren't taxed on the corporations profits. Their income is completely separate from that. They dont' pay their employees out of their own personal bank accounts. It's a corporate account. If they did, they'd probably be able to deduct that from their personal income. I'm not sure where you got your information from. You might want to source that.

    Of course the top 1% have a huge portion of the income, so they get a big chunk of the corporate income taxes credited to them
    That's completely false. I don't know where you're getting that. Their income isn't tied at all on the corporations profitability. It's totally separtate. The very reason that you form a corporation is to avoid being taxed on the corporations income. If you are a sole proprietorship, then you'll get taxed on the companies income, but nobody that big is doing that.

    On that top 1% thing, I think it is a mistake to talk about the top 1%, the top 1% starts at $350k, barely enough to live well, and certainly not enough to considered in the group that makes Millions, tens of millions, hundreds of millions, and billions
    $350K is barely enough to live well?? Really? How many people in this country make $350K? Apparently we have a lot of people not living very well. I could live pretty damn well on that amount. I suppose it means that "well" is pretty subjective. You know, I don't think these people are too concerned over how "well" I'm living, so I have to ask...why should I concern myself over how "well" they're doing. If they can't make it on $350K...they have a serious problem.

    It is flippin' brilliant how these folks have gotten people to argue their case for them, against their own interests.
    I don't understand it myself. Why they want to protect people that would throw them to the street if it meant they could squeeze one more dime in profit, is beyond me. I think it stems from the idea that someday in their life, they'll be part of the club and they dont' want to offend the rich because they think it'll hurt their chances. Then again, it might be that they don't want to upset them for fear of losing their jobs. There were a few company owners that told their employees that if they voted for Obama, they might have to lay them off. So..fear plays into it. And the desire to be a rich guy plays into it I suppose. I can't see any other logical reason to support people that look at you like a piece of meat.
    Extremism: A threat at home, a threat abroad.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •