Page 52 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 LastLast
Results 511 to 520 of 534

Thread: Pope resigns

  1. #511
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,953

    Re: Pope resigns

    I'm not sure what believing the earth was flat has to do with today unless there is scientific work of which I am not aware trying to disprove the existence of God.

  2. #512
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Yes it was theorized, and perhaps some people rejected it because of the church, but I'm sure many rejected it because they just didn't believe it. There were stories by sailors as well about the earth being flat and also sea monsters.
    The church murdered you if it became known that you thought it was round--------------------A real concrete incentive to "reject" the idea, as you say.............You really have no idea what the human race has been through, do you ?......................

  3. #513
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    The church murdered you if it became known that you thought it was round--------------------A real concrete incentive to "reject" the idea, as you say.............You really have no idea what the human race has been through, do you ?......................
    Meh, I don't follow the church or one particular religion anyway. I never claimed all they have done has been righteous or good.

  4. #514
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Meh, I don't follow the church or one particular religion anyway. I never claimed all they have done has been righteous or good.
    So you see murdering people for what they think is just some little thing that must be tolerated or ignored in the face of the "greater good" ?....................wow

  5. #515
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I'm mystified too why rejecting belief isn't enough and mocking those of faith is so important. It's not as if this will change opinions or beliefs.
    I just don't understand why anyone would care about what I believe personally. If I was "preaching" to them or treating nonbelievers any differently than I treat anyone else, then they might have a point. I don't have any problem whatsoever with their not believing or believing something different from what I believe.

    What some people need to understand is that people reach their beliefs and how they live their lives according to THEIR OWN experiences. THAT is what makes one a believer as opposed to a non believer, not just being "indoctrinated" so to speak.

  6. #516
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    So you see murdering people for what they think is just some little thing that must be tolerated or ignored in the face of the "greater good" ?....................wow
    Where did I say that exactly?

  7. #517
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I'm not sure what believing the earth was flat has to do with today unless there is scientific work of which I am not aware trying to disprove the existence of God.
    You see, this is a PERFECT example of what I'm talking about. This person doesn't want to have an adult discussion. He is just harassing believers and thinks he's being so "subtle" and clever about it too. It's quite amusing and transparent actually.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    So you see murdering people for what they think is just some little thing that must be tolerated or ignored in the face of the "greater good" ?....................wow

  8. #518
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    You see, this is a PERFECT example of what I'm talking about. This person doesn't want to have an adult discussion. He is just harassing believers and thinks he's being so "subtle" and clever about it too. It's quite amusing and transparent actually.
    Confronting believers with the rap sheet, I mean , history of the church, is now just "harassing" believers ?..............What don't you get about the absurdity of an "adult" discussion with known criminals ?...........................

  9. #519
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,803

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by zgoldsmith23 View Post
    Right but billions of people once believe the world was flat and the Sun went around the Earth - that doesn't mean they're right in the face of evidence and reason.
    Unfortunately, people like ChrisL seem to think that's the case.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #520
    Antichrist
    zgoldsmith23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TN
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Okay. People believed the earth was flat, until there was evidence to prove otherwise. When there is some kind of proof that God (or some kind of "higher power") does not exist, then come talk to me. Besides, we've come QUITE a long ways since the days when people thought the earth was flat.
    There certainly is evidence that disproves claims made in the Abrahamic religions. Then there are those massive inconsistencies.

    Besides, it's my belief. I keep it to myself for the most part, and I don't bother anyone, so why anyone would have any kind of objections, I have no idea.
    It extends outside of you. It shapes your worldview, shapes how you vote and how you might act.
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I've never denied my own hackish tendencies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin dÁr View Post
    scientific by itself isn't enough of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    Not all Nazis were bad people

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •