Page 45 of 54 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 450 of 534

Thread: Pope resigns

  1. #441
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    Most Catholics view abortion as wrong, but feel they don't have a right in telling people no. I am not one of those people(I am not Catholic any longer) nor my Catholic family... but an argument can be made. Most people think you shouldn't be one-issue voters either. And I don't think it's right declaring who are legit Catholics and who arn't.

    All of this aside... my statements still stand true... most Catholics are liberal lol.
    When the Church will excommunicate you for having an abortion or helping someone have an abortion, then this is one of those defining issues for Catholics. And yes, we do feel that you have to tell people not to have them. If you would tell someone not to murder, then you would tell someone the same about abortion.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  2. #442
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Pope resigns

    "On behalf of Americans everywhere, Michelle and I wish to extend our appreciation and prayers to His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI. Michelle and I warmly remember our meeting with the Holy Father in 2009, and I have appreciated our work together over these last four years. The Church plays a critical role in the United States and the world, and I wish the best to those who will soon gather to choose His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI’s successor.” .....snip~


    That's what The WH released on this. Though we know there hasn't been much working together as this Pope has been against gay rights, abortion, and same sex marriage.

  3. #443
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,886

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    When the Church will excommunicate you for having an abortion or helping someone have an abortion, then this is one of those defining issues for Catholics. And yes, we do feel that you have to tell people not to have them. If you would tell someone not to murder, then you would tell someone the same about abortion.
    You should tell that to the majority of Catholics...who are liberal and have been historically liberal the past 50 years.
    Last edited by celticwar17; 02-13-13 at 07:30 PM.

  4. #444
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    You should tell that to the majority of Catholics...who vote liberal.
    They should better understand their faith.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  5. #445
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,880

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Yeah, I thought differently. Christianity became a pillar of the African Americans during their horrible existence in slavery and Reconstruction, and became the backbone of the Civil Rights Movement.
    Time to note that Dr. King was a Baptist minister.

  6. #446
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Yes religion is the root of ALL evil. Not money or power. It's a HUGE problem.


    If you say so.

  7. #447
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,847

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    They should better understand their faith.
    I'm seeing a theme develop here.

    Catholics vote liberal because they are ignorant and/or duped.
    Blacks vote liberal because they are ignorant and/or duped.

    It's not GOP policies. It's that people are just too ignorant to be enlightened about the GOP policies. Which is why the GOP is now saying that their policies are right and that its just their "messaging" that is wrong. As Colbert showed last night in epic fashion.

    I'm sure we'll hear the same thing about Latino's in a few years after the GOP conveniently forgets their whole war on them in the last several elections.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  8. #448
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    The catholic church had been doing that for centuries prior to Martin luthers birth. In essence, it WAS Catholicism. It's mentioned even in the cantebury tails, and chaucer wrote that over a century before Luther was even born. Luther wanted to CHNGE the church to better suit his ideals, but the church refused to change. If they HAD changed, he never would have hammered his list of grievances to those doors. It was a reluctance to any change that gave birth to a new denomination of Christianity. Further, if you know anything about Lutheranism, you'll know that THEY abandoned all the dogma, the pomp, and focuse more closely on Jesus words, rather than rigid tradition.
    I'm aware that most of the pomp and dogma were removed at least those which were nonbiblical. Just because indugences were used for centries earlier it still was nonbiblical.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  9. #449
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Yeah, I thought differently. Christianity became a pillar of the African Americans during their horrible existence in slavery and Reconstruction, and became the backbone of the Civil Rights Movement.


    Where in the Bible is slavery condemned?

  10. #450
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Though we know there hasn't been much working together as this Pope has been against gay rights, abortion, and same sex marriage.


    And women in the priesthood.

Page 45 of 54 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •