Page 36 of 54 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 534

Thread: Pope resigns

  1. #351
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    No, there is no rationality in religion, it's just that we've lived for a long time without the tools to make religious acceptance unnecessary. Today, we've answered many of the questions that religion has feigned an answer for over the centuries, there's no more reason to cling to absurd beliefs because it's more comfortable than admitting that we just have no clue what the actual answers are. It's sad that you have a problem with society coming to a point where rejecting ridiculous beliefs openly becomes safe and socially acceptable. Want to go back to burning heretics?
    Wow, you just look for the worst arguments of your opponents and ignore their best ones. That's no way proceed intellectually.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  2. #352
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    I thought that it started a long time ago when the Catholic Church started burning people at the stake for no good reason.

    Would you support bringing that practice back?
    The Catholic Church, or municipalities? Tell me again, who burned Joan of Arc? If you're going to get angry about executions, perhaps you should look to the state and not a religion.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  3. #353
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    I am sure there are... You run into problems generalizing obviously, but the majority of Catholics now and in the past vote Democrat and have liberal views. Our Vice President is Catholic! John F. Kennedy was Catholic (the only catholic president).

    I am really surprised in how people don't know this.
    These people are Catholics only nominally. There is a debate in the Church about whether those who support abortion should be denied Communion. It seems like this is starting to spread.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  4. #354
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Pope resigns

    The "God of the gaps" argument is used by those who have no understanding of theology. If you argue against those and say that you have disproved religion because of it, you're only arguing a straw man. Real theologians have had more compelling arguments for centuries. Atheists don't even begin to try to understand them; instead the argument against them usually whithers down to a scoff.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  5. #355
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Fog hit View Post
    Phattonez... Don't mean to be rude, but do you believe in God?
    Yes, I'm Roman Catholic.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  6. #356
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Wow, you just look for the worst arguments of your opponents and ignore their best ones. That's no way proceed intellectually.
    No there isn't. They will always resort to such things as "religious people want to burn people at the stake" or "what do you want to bring back the inquisition?" All kinds of stupid ridiculousness. You can't have intelligent discourse in that way.

  7. #357
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    These people are Catholics only nominally. There is a debate in the Church about whether those who support abortion should be denied Communion. It seems like this is starting to spread.

    As it should be. The Church believes that life begins with conception, and as the profession of faith is made at every mass, their cafeteria lifestyles should have repercussions.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #358
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    As it should be. The Church believes that life begins with conception, and as the profession of faith is made at every mass, their cafeteria lifestyles should have repercussions.
    Especially on something as serious as abortion which, if you have one, gets you excommunicated latae sententiae.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  9. #359
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Especially on something as serious as abortion which, if you have one, gets you excommunicated latae sententiae.


    Another good reason not to belong to the Catholic Church.

    The church's attempt to control women's bodies has been overruled by the Supreme Court in the USA.




    "Judge not, lest ye also be judged."
    Last edited by shrubnose; 02-12-13 at 02:16 PM.

  10. #360
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Another good reason not to belong to the Catholic Church.




    "Judge not, lest ye also be judged."
    Is that not what you are doing to Catholics from the outside? The arrogance of using scripture, as you break it is typical of liberal dishonesty.

    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 36 of 54 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •