Page 27 of 54 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 534

Thread: Pope resigns

  1. #261
    Advisor Fog hit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    10-31-13 @ 08:42 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    408

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    I'm a persona non grata, but I like wearing a badge..............lol................
    I don't know Bonz... Looks like you have a lot of awards under your name.

    Kinda like the stars they put on the Catholic kids forehead in Catholic School

    :O
    Nothing in excess.

  2. #262
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Fog hit View Post
    What you're alluding with sale indulgences... was called "absolution". Prepaid forgiveness of sins yet to be committed.
    Indulgences are likely the single most misunderstood thing about Catholicism (apart from the veneration of Mary). Indulgences do NOT forgive sin. They never have. From the Catholic encyclopedia:

    It is not a permission to commit sin, nor a pardon of future sin; neither could be granted by any power. It is not the forgiveness of the guilt of sin; it supposes that the sin has already been forgiven. It is not an exemption from any law or duty, and much less from the obligation consequent on certain kinds of sin, e.g., restitution; on the contrary, it means a more complete payment of the debt which the sinner owes to God. It does not confer immunity from temptation or remove the possibility of subsequent lapses into sin. Least of all is an indulgence the purchase of a pardon which secures the buyer's salvation or releases the soul of another from Purgatory. The absurdity of such notions must be obvious to any one who forms a correct idea of what the Catholic Church really teaches on this subject.
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

  3. #263
    Advisor Fog hit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    10-31-13 @ 08:42 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    408

    Re: Pope resigns

    [QUOTE=Bonzai;

    I've gotta go now my friend but let's keep each other informed about this new reformation.

    ;-)
    Nothing in excess.

  4. #264
    Advisor Fog hit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    10-31-13 @ 08:42 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    408

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    Indulgences are likely the single most misunderstood thing about Catholicism (apart from the veneration of Mary). Indulgences do NOT forgive sin. They never have. From the Catholic encyclopedia:

    It is not a permission to commit sin, nor a pardon of future sin; neither could be granted by any power. It is not the forgiveness of the guilt of sin; it supposes that the sin has already been forgiven. It is not an exemption from any law or duty, and much less from the obligation consequent on certain kinds of sin, e.g., restitution; on the contrary, it means a more complete payment of the debt which the sinner owes to God. It does not confer immunity from temptation or remove the possibility of subsequent lapses into sin. Least of all is an indulgence the purchase of a pardon which secures the buyer's salvation or releases the soul of another from Purgatory. The absurdity of such notions must be obvious to any one who forms a correct idea of what the Catholic Church really teaches on this subject.

    I should have said that it was a practice by the Catholic Church long ago, but not now.
    But then the list of atrocities, done by the Catholic Church long ago, no longer happen... The list would be one long ass list though.
    Nothing in excess.

  5. #265
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Fog hit View Post
    I don't know Bonz... Looks like you have a lot of awards under your name.

    Kinda like the stars they put on the Catholic kids forehead in Catholic School

    :O
    The first church I attended was Orthodox and then I was briefly a Congregationalist-------no things on the forehead..............Do they really do that ?.
    Last edited by Bonzai; 02-11-13 at 11:48 PM.

  6. #266
    Advisor Fog hit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    10-31-13 @ 08:42 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    408

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    The first church I attended Orthodox and then I was briefly a Congregationalist-------no things on the forehead..............Do they really do that ?.
    They used to when I was a kid. There was a Catholic Church across the street from our public school. We were envious of the cool stars.

    I was baptized Orthodox, when I was 8 years old.

    After I lost my baptismal "I am a Greek Orthodox" on the breast of a Saigon prostitute ... Let just say I lost my organized religious affiliation... Period.
    Nothing in excess.

  7. #267
    Advisor Fog hit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    10-31-13 @ 08:42 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    408

    Re: Pope resigns

    Remind me to tell you the story of my getting kicked out of a Catholic Church when a Priest found out that I was Greek Orthodox... That was a trip.

    See ya soon Bonz.
    Nothing in excess.

  8. #268
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Fog hit View Post
    I should have said that it was a practice by the Catholic Church long ago, but not now.
    But then the list of atrocities, done by the Catholic Church long ago, no longer happen... The list would be one long ass list though.
    Indulgences were NEVER as you described them in the history of the Catholic church.
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

  9. #269
    Black Is Smart
    Van Basten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The New New Frontier
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,661

    Re: Pope resigns

    Wonder if popes will start retiring now.
    "We have more responsibility than power, I think. The newspaper can create great controversies, stir up arguments within the community or discussion, can throw light on injustices....just as it can do the opposite. It can hide things and be a great power for evil." -- Rupert Murdoch, 1968

  10. #270
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Pope resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Fog hit View Post
    What you're alluding with sale indulgences... was called "absolution". Prepaid forgiveness of sins yet to be committed.
    And Martin Luther considered it non-scriptural and heretical.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

Page 27 of 54 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •