Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 82

Thread: Winter nor'easter sweeping into Northeast

  1. #1
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,105

    Winter nor'easter sweeping into Northeast

    A major snowstorm is passing through the Great Lakes Thursday morning, and by Friday night could make travel nearly impossible in parts of the Northeast.CBS News weather consultant David Bernard says there is a potential for historic snows and blizzard conditions across the Northeast, with as much as 2 feet of snow in some areas.

    Winter nor'easter sweeping into Northeast - CBS News
    from what i saw on CNN last night, this has the potential to be a big one, but only if it holds together. this is the first storm i have ever seen where the snowfall prediction is between three inches and thirty plus. either way, be careful out there.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Winter nor'easter sweeping into Northeast

    Yep. We're already in total panic mode here at the electric company. We're headed out to start setting up Storm Operations in six different locations later thia morning. Tomorrow morning I need to be in a satelite office for 6am to make sure everything is set up properly and then be back for a 6pm - 6am shift overnight tomorrow night and every night until the restoration operations are complete.

    I figure we'll be at it until at least Monday and possibly Tuesday, depending on how bad it really ends up being.

  3. #3
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,105

    Re: Winter nor'easter sweeping into Northeast

    hopefully it will be at the low end of the prediction. lots people who suffered hurricane Sandy definitely don't need another wallop.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Winter nor'easter sweeping into Northeast

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    hopefully it will be at the low end of the prediction. lots people who suffered hurricane Sandy definitely don't need another wallop.
    A lot of it will depend on whether it's a wet snow or a dry snow. If it's a dry snow, it won't affect things as badly. If it's a wet snow, ice, sleet, etc.... it could be December 2008 all over again.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Winter nor'easter sweeping into Northeast

    Yeah a friend of mine who lives in CT posted some pretty scary looking snowfall predictions for that area. All I can say, is HA HA HA--glad it ain't me.......

  6. #6
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Winter nor'easter sweeping into Northeast

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    A lot of it will depend on whether it's a wet snow or a dry snow. If it's a dry snow, it won't affect things as badly. If it's a wet snow, ice, sleet, etc.... it could be December 2008 all over again.

    As someone who has lived through my fair share of those storms from growing up in Michigan, to living in Maryland for 20 years, Good luck Tigger, and may your damage be lite.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Winter nor'easter sweeping into Northeast

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    from what i saw on CNN last night, this has the potential to be a big one, but only if it holds together. this is the first storm i have ever seen where the snowfall prediction is between three inches and thirty plus. either way, be careful out there.
    Here in southern Mass, we are expected to get anywhere from 12 to 24 inches. I had to go to the store this morning and get some things before everyone else raided everything. I'm hoping to not have to drive anywhere this weekend.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Winter nor'easter sweeping into Northeast

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Yeah a friend of mine who lives in CT posted some pretty scary looking snowfall predictions for that area. All I can say, is HA HA HA--glad it ain't me.......
    Ha-ha-ha.

  9. #9
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,105

    Re: Winter nor'easter sweeping into Northeast

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Here in southern Mass, we are expected to get anywhere from 12 to 24 inches. I had to go to the store this morning and get some things before everyone else raided everything. I'm hoping to not have to drive anywhere this weekend.
    i refer to them as the French toast people : they clear the eggs, milk, and bread shelves immediately before every storm. i've had fantasies about starting a business which sells salt, generators, snow shovels, and other emergency gear. this business would be stocked during the off season, but would only be open in the days before and during a storm when all of the big chains are out of everything.

    anyway, i hope that the storm doesn't dump too much snow on you.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Winter nor'easter sweeping into Northeast

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    i refer to them as the French toast people : they clear the eggs, milk, and bread shelves immediately before every storm. i've had fantasies about starting a business which sells salt, generators, snow shovels, and other emergency gear. this business would be stocked during the off season, but would only be open in the days before and during a storm when all of the big chains are out of everything.

    anyway, i hope that the storm doesn't dump too much snow on you.
    Thanks!

    Lol! Yes, always eggs, milk and bread. So, if you start a business like that, don't forget about the eggs, bread and milk!

    It's really kind of silly because if you lose power, your eggs and milk are garbage.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •